Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion v Europa League Champions - Matchday thread

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Utter nonsense. Football fans read too much into the formation, 4-4-2 can work in a hundred different ways depending on the players and the style of play. The same goes for any formation.

Formations don't automatically make you play kick and rush football.
Spot on!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Utter nonsense. Football fans read too much into the formation, 4-4-2 can work in a hundred different ways depending on the players and the style of play. The same goes for any formation.

Formations don't automatically make you play kick and rush football.

I don't understand the obsession some fans seem to have with formation, especially those who seem to view playing 4-4-2 as some kind of panacea. Equally those who dismiss it out of hand have probably just watched Mike Bassett once too often.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was their second team apart from Banega for 45 minutes. The first team seemed to play at Watford and it was a different team.

I don't think Sevilla intercepted the passes but it was bad passes partly because of the 4-4-2. There are lots of different types of 4-4-2 but I find the system much more rigid than 4-3-3 and both teams play 4-4-2 the game can be very boring as if they are of even standard they cancel each other out.

In the end Sevilla Reserves were comprehensively defeated 1-0.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So players can pass well, but not if they're playing 4-4-2?

Its all in the angles.

The real downer is 4-2-4 with two operating wingers though. One winger is out of the game when the play is on the opposing side of the pitch.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A Sevilla supporter behind me in the first half perked up when the youngster Muñoz got the ball. Only 19.

IMG_3276.JPG

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Just got back.

I thought it was just dreadful. Down to 4-4-2.

Last six minutes or so were the best.

One plus the 30+ move passing game at the end that had Sevilla Reserves chasing shadows and looking well beaten.

Reserves !!!!

Sergio Rico (GK)
Benoît Trémoulinas
Grzegorz Krychowiak
Daniel Carriço
José Antonio Reyes (C)
Timothée Kolodziejczak
Éver Banega
Vitolo

All in the starting line up or on reserves bench in this years Europa Cup final.

Plus N'Zonzi

Reserves my a**e

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Brighton & Hove Albion v Europa League Champions - Matchday thread

Nothing like the shambles we were last season so that's good. Like the look of the central midfield but can see why we're looking for wingers. March started well but made little impact as the game wore on. We're solid, well organised, comfortable on the ball most of the time - a couple of flair players from having a first choice eleven that could challenge for top six. Biggest worry remains up front. Disappointed that Hemed made next to no impression in the second half but against quality CBs maybe shouldn't read much into it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
442 :facepalm:
Why have we gone backwards?
It was a very good performance though.

I do wonder if some of our fans have fallen for Poyet's indoctrination that his brand of football is the only type of 'good football' there is.

Yesterday we were decent, very decent.

I'd say it was 'good football', and didn't suffer from being 442

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Reserves !!!!

Sergio Rico (GK)
Benoît Trémoulinas
Grzegorz Krychowiak
Daniel Carriço
José Antonio Reyes (C)
Timothée Kolodziejczak
Éver Banega
Vitolo

All in the starting line up or on reserves bench in this years Europa Cup final.

Plus N'Zonzi

Reserves my a**e

Their centre back pairing were quite formidable which may explain our lack lustre attack, with Hemed looking promising running to the near post (a tactical alternative not employed in the last few seasons as we did not have the forward to do it) but Baldock looked ineffective and not running about very much.

We played it out from the back much better than they did*, even and especially when pressed. (* a few hiccups with misplaced passes early on.)

They were much expansive than us in the Poyet style and I think that was a disadvantage on the day, but that is down to them playing the reserves on the wing. I thought our defence looked comfortable although Bruno got caught out by one of their players cutting inside. I only noted that on the highlights.

I think they must have been rusty (early for them) and if they had the finishing of Arsenal we would have conceded. I was disappointed in the match as a spectacle. Friendly I suppose. Perhaps, I should have waited for the real action against Forest.

I don't think we were as fluid in midfield under CH as we were under Oscar, for good or bad. This might make us more resilient and less creative ???

Game was a little bit interesting. We certainly did not look any weaker when we brought our fresh subs on. If we had got a proper goal in last six minutes I might have felt much happier with something to really cheer about. That would have improved the slightly flat atmosphere.

Last edited:

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
It was a very good performance though.

I do wonder if some of our fans have fallen for Poyet's indoctrination that his brand of football is the only type of 'good football' there is.

Yesterday we were decent, very decent.

I'd say it was 'good football', and didn't suffer from being 442

Agree. Also and it has been said on numerous posts they had some excellent players on display. I had the advantage of my 11 year old son's view. He knew the vast majority of their players and he was buzzing about the win.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This afternoon was dreadful
And don't try and convince me
There is something good in every match
Because the team is sometimes naff
Even if some good play does occur once in a while
Results and happiness do not last
It is not true that
It's all in my mind and heart