Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton hoping to join with West Brom and Burton in bid to trademark the word 'Albion'

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I really hope they don’t go after Albion Kebabs.

I know it’s hardly a positive advert for healthy eating but they’re an independent shop that really does no harm to the club.

If anything, I would say it’s good that we have an independent place that uses the name Albion along with blue and white colouring, especially on the road which probably has the largest footfall of people coming into the city. It’s the kind of thing that adds identity and is a reminder or nudge to those that visit that there is a community of Albion fans here.

Sure, it’s a bit tatty - but not everything to do with the club has to be squeaky clean. A bit of grit and spit and sawdust look that Albion Kebabs and The Railway Bell provide in support of Brighton is actually quite welcome as a contrast to our ever gentrified image.

I know if I went to Sheffield and saw a clearly independent food gaff called Blades Kebabs in the middle of the city, I’d see it as a sign of the size of the club. Not as an affront to their clubs name.

Spot on. That takeaway is about the only place that provides an Albion presence in the town, which is a disgrace.

I’d say the club is in need of some more of that grit and spit look, especially when the stadium is so sanitised. We are seen as soft club by most football fans.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That explains a fair amount clearly enough.

Amazing how these days with limited attention spans, instant gratification and speed to rant, that some people jump to completely wrong conclusions without actually understanding.

I think the Albion pub etc. etc are safe.

The conclusion I am drawing is that the club sell tat and are trying to stop Spivs outside doing the same. I’d like the club to sell quality stuff and I agree with them stopping the Spivs but the club need to up their game on what they sell imo

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Spot on. That takeaway is about the only place that provides an Albion presence in the town, which is a disgrace.

This sentence is the kind of thing the club will use in evidence against the kebab shop.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
This sentence is the kind of thing the club will use in evidence against the kebab shop.

Well done, full marks to you on your English test today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I’d like to think the club are not that petty

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Well done, full marks to you on your English test today.

Not an English test. You're writing about an independent kebab shop as if it's part of "the Albion" - just the kind of thing a trademark helps prevent.

But, for the record, I meant "could" not "will".

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The conclusion I am drawing is that the club sell tat and are trying to stop Spivs outside doing the same. I’d like the club to sell quality stuff and I agree with them stopping the Spivs but the club need to up their game on what they sell imo

Nobody is going to disagree with that, the original thread concerns trying to stop Spivs outside doing the same.

It might be tat, but it's the club's tat.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if the clubs keep the trademark scope to sports, its not such a big deal. as Wozza explained, trademarks are applied within specific business areas, about 20-30 designations. it would be unlikely a broad trademark would be successful as its a dictionary word, so application would need to be narrow. Pubs and kebab shops would be safe.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Not an English test. You're writing about an independent kebab shop as if it's part of "the Albion" - just the kind of thing a trademark helps prevent.

But, for the record, I meant "could" not "will".

Right, ok.

Well, no I’m not writing as if the shop is part of the Albion, I’m saying that it’s 1. Blue & White 2. Has Albion in the name and 3. Has seagulls. So, it does have the image of the club and I think that’s a good thing because the club themselves don’t really have a presence in town.

I would like to see more places using the Albion name and image, not less. If the people can’t revel in the clubs success, then I don’t see much point in the whole thing tbh, especially as the club wouldn’t even be around if it wasn’t for the
I would like the think that the club would actually be pleased that local businesses would like to be associated with the club...without having to pay for it.

Not everything’s about ownership and money, well, it shouldn’t be and maybe that’s where myself and the club differ.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If indeed it is the dodgy merch they are going after, I have to say I have obviously missed this stuff for the most part. Maybe it's my matchday routine of usually needing a piss quite badly post-train and rushing straight into the north stand, but apart from the odd 50/50 scarf seller when we are playing a "big" club, I can't recall loads of other stuff. When you go somewhere like Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool you see LOADS of unofficial merchandise outside. I'm not saying they don't pursue this stuff, but it seems to still be there. Sign of a big club, and I can't believe that many people are spending money there that they would otherwise spend in the club shop.

Also, as mentioned earlier, our merchandise is awful.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
If indeed it is the dodgy merch they are going after, I have to say I have obviously missed this stuff for the most part. Maybe it's my matchday routine of usually needing a piss quite badly post-train and rushing straight into the north stand, but apart from the odd 50/50 scarf seller when we are playing a "big" club, I can't recall loads of other stuff. When you go somewhere like Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool you see LOADS of unofficial merchandise outside. I'm not saying they don't pursue this stuff, but it seems to still be there. Sign of a big club, and I can't believe that many people are spending money there that they would otherwise spend in the club shop.

Also, as mentioned earlier, our merchandise is awful.

But there seems to be plenty online. That might be the target.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
There was a play at The Almeida called Albion last year. Its a word with deep historical connections.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
There was a dystopian futuristic book called "Albion! Albion" back in the ?seventies, maybe eighties. (Or earlier, I suppose.) Based on the concept that England had split into 4 regions based round 4 football teams, all with generic names including (of course) Albion. And it was all about the hooliganism. It wasn't linked to Brighton, thankfully!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I disagree with most on here.

I think the club should be taking action to make it harder the spivs outside the ground selling "Albion" branded products. Why should these wide boys be profiting from our name at our expense? Surely it's better for any merchandise profit to go to the club.

Anything which leads to fewer half and half scarfs gets my vote. I doubt the club are going after Albion kebabs

If I was a someone that made scarves, flags etc for spivs to sell outside football grounds, I would just put Brighton on the cheap tat, not Albion.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
There are plenty of ' Albion ' pubs, taverns and hotels around the country. At least 5-6 in London, alone. It is a terrible suggestion by the club and I hope they ditch the idea asap.

Yep, the Albion at Blackfriars and a Royal Albion in Maidstone that I can think of.

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
As my "local" club of the last 25 years. I've always had a soft spot for Brighton and have been to many matches over the years.
However, I may have to rethink whether I can ever go again if this goes ahead.

Joining forces with West B***? Disgusting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here