Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton First Team Squad Loans and Contracts

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Same as Ali J & Locadia then. Like I’ve always said I’m a bit uncomfortable about us signing USG players especially without seemingly much competition.

To use a Chelsea argument analogy - how many strikers are there in the world and why did we sign one from our chairman’s other club?
"signing USG players" ? Undav is the first and only USG player we've ever signed.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I tend to agree on that point, but we have only signed one player from USG and given that we took a £9m punt on Sima, £10m on Enciso, £6m on Adringa - £5m for Undav, who is at least proven scoring goals isn't that bigger deal nowadays

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I tend to agree on that point, but we have only signed one player from USG and given that we took a £9m punt on Sima, £10m on Enciso, £6m on Adringa - £5m for Undav, who is at least proven scoring goals isn't that bigger deal nowadays
Ok player / players. I had doubts when we signed him and so far it’s not looking good for him.

And It is when you’ve sold Maupay.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Same as Ali J & Locadia then. Like I’ve always said I’m a bit uncomfortable about us signing USG players especially without seemingly much competition.

To use a Chelsea argument analogy - how many strikers are there in the world and why did we sign one from our chairman’s other club?
He hasn’t played an hour of PL football yet……and scored in the one cup game in which he got a start. Poss too early to be writing him off - maybe we haven’t tactically approached any game in a way that suits his strengths 🤷‍♂️

Maybe we need someone like Bamford

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Maupay who's scored 1 goal and 0 assists in 451 minutes played so far this season? That Maupay?
How many has Undav / Welbeck & Fergusson combined in the PL this season?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For DG Welbz you have a point, but exactly how many goals are you expecting Undav (in his 54 minutes across 6 appearances) and Ferguson (in his 0 minutes across 0 appearances) to have scored...? :shrug:
My point exactly is why has Undav not had more opportunities with either Potter or RDZ.

I’m not saying Maupay is the saviour, but in my opinion this season is our weakest strikeforce since we got rid of Hughton and is the weakest in the top of the PL which to me is a concern and failure of the club / recruitment team.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
My point exactly is why has Undav not had more opportunities with either Potter or RDZ.

I’m not saying Maupay is the saviour, but in my opinion this season is our weakest strikeforce since we got rid of Hughton and is the weakest in the top of the PL which to me is a concern and failure of the club / recruitment team.
...and yet, here we are, in 8th position, having scored 19 goals in 12 games.

For context, after 12 games:

2021/22 - 12 goals scored
2020/21 - 15 goals scored
2019/20 - 15 goals scored
2018/19 - 13 goals scored
2017/18 - 11 goals scored

:shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
...and yet, here we are, in 8th position, having scored 19 goals in 12 games.

For context, after 12 games:

2021/22 - 12 goals scored
2020/21 - 15 goals scored
2019/20 - 15 goals scored
2018/19 - 13 goals scored
2017/18 - 11 goals scored

:shrug:
Is OG our 3rd top scorer ? Not sure how reliable that is moving forward

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

And to play devils advocate this is our best season for goals scored after 12 games. We've scored 19 so far and are 4 goals ahead of our previous best seasons (19-20 and 20-21) and a massive 7 goals ahead of where we were after 12 games last season.

To paraphrase the great Doc Brown, "Strikers? Where we're going we don't need strikers".

Edit - see the same point has been made above

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Were we the only team interested in Undav?
26 goals in a decent league last season = of course not.
Because he'll be 35 and out of contract? He's started 3 of the 6. He clearly has an interest in coaching. Not suggesting he will, but you surely can see reasons why he might?
According to Football Manager (and that might sound silly but how often do they get contract durations wrong?) he should have an option for another year.

Regardless, if he wants another year I think he gets it. Has been a bit in and out of the side and appears to have no issues that he might sometimes sit on the bench for extended periods. My guess is that TB, PB and RDZ all would like him to stay around for the rest of his career and beyond and it's probably entirely up to Adam when he wants to hang up his boots.
Is OG our 3rd top scorer ? Not sure how reliable that is moving forward
Tough crowd. Scored two last Saturday and one of the POTS candidates so far though I think Leo might win it in the end.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
the weakest in the top of the PL which to me is a concern and failure of the club / recruitment team.
We've scored more goals than Chelsea , Man Utd, and West Ham. But agreed. Bit of a way to go to catch up with Man City. #barberout

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We've scored more goals than Chelsea , Man Utd, and West Ham. But agreed. Bit of a way to go to catch up with Man City. #barberout
I’m not disputing that. But I said we have a weaker strike force since Hughton and less decent options than last season. Our strikers have also scored less goals at this point than any other season.

So if Trossard, Gross, Mac & OG can keep scoring as they are great.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’m not disputing that. But I said we have a weaker strike force since Hughton and less decent options than last season. Our strikers have also scored less goals at this point than any other season.

So if Trossard, Gross, Mac & OG can keep scoring as they are great.
We might arguably have a weaker 2nd "centre forward" on basis that Undav hasn't had a chance to rival Maupay yet (perhaps he never will). But we certainly do not have a weaker strike force than any other season. The strikeforce with mostly Trossard, March and Welbeck playing upfront has - with other parts of the team chipping in - racked up 31 goals in 17 games. As Barry Davies once said . But where are the strikers. ? Frankly . Who cares ? (PS: Surely Trossard is allowed to be called a forward, or a striker)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
26 goals in a decent league last season = of course not.

According to Football Manager (and that might sound silly but how often do they get contract durations wrong?) he should have an option for another year.

Regardless, if he wants another year I think he gets it. Has been a bit in and out of the side and appears to have no issues that he might sometimes sit on the bench for extended periods. My guess is that TB, PB and RDZ all would like him to stay around for the rest of his career and beyond and it's probably entirely up to Adam when he wants to hang up his boots.

Tough crowd. Scored two last Saturday and one of the POTS candidates so far though I think Leo might win it in the end.
Plenty of clubs will look but were they interested and which ones are we talking about .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here