Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Brighton, Brentford and Fulham'

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
Do you find it a slight, being compared to the other two?

All 3 of you have done fantastically well to be where you are, on the budgets you are on. But I think style wise, Brighton are on another planet to the other two and are playing like a big team whilst those two are pure counter attacking. How do you feel about it?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

All 3 of you have done fantastically well to be where you are, on the budgets you are on. But I think style wise, Brighton are on another planet to the other two and are playing like a big team whilst those two are pure counter attacking. How do you feel about it?
Now that you mention it, I agree with you.

But in doing so, aren't we in danger of becoming those entitled fans we know and love so much? #teamslikebrentford #teamslikefulham

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
I think it’s fair. I do think our style does get some extra plaudits - even when Fulham were above us most pundits still had us finishing higher.

I do also think our play style is more ‘sustainable’ in terms of the underlying numbers and essentially playing like a ‘top’ side. Harder to create chances than score them over a long period.

Agree with what’s been said above, I have no issues with comparisons. All historically similar sized clubs going through excellent periods in their histories. Much prefer us doing well than an oil rich club or one of the traditional ‘big’ clubs (complete with self entitlement).

Long may it continue!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

To Brentford, not hugely weird. They're a very well run side, with a very good manager, who are doing very well. There's also the similarities in owners etc. They're obviously not at the level stylistically yet but we have had 3 more years in the league than them so no surprise. They're on a similar trajectory.

Fulham are weird though because they're a statistical anomaly this season. They're outperforming all of their expected stats and really shouldn't be in the same conversation (though translating that overperformance to points is obviously the only thing that really matters and they should be lauded for that), The only teams I can find with similar performances across a season were Wolves under Bruno Lage (who quickly rotted at the start of this season) and Newcastle under Steve Bruce (who quickly rotted the following season).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Happy to be bunched in with them, seeing as it's us 3 going for that 'not a big 6 team' Euro spot.
Have you checked the remaining fixtures though.
Reckon Brentford 10 pts
Fulham 13 pts
Us a lot more.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not really too bothered, especially when our results against them this season aren't exactly anything to get carried away about.

All three clubs have got where they are on merit and, personally, I like them playing the role of 'disruptors' of the 'big' clubs. Long may it continue.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Of the three I'd say we play more the confident attacking football that is easier on the eye. That said I think all three of us have shaken things up in the Premier League this season. We are all well run, well managed and in the case of ourselves and Brentford have good eye for a bargain and take the time to develop players at the correct pace.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Brentford are a team who have a similar history to us and are now riding well in the Premier League. I'm not sure why we wouldn't be compared to them. Fulham are a team who have traditionally done better than us over the years. I'd say, at this moment, we are very similar in many ways. Not least because we occupy places in the top end of the table.

Fulham were in a European final not so long ago too.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Happy to be bunched in with them, seeing as it's us 3 going for that 'not a big 6 team' Euro spot.
Have you checked the remaining fixtures though.
Reckon Brentford 10 pts
Fulham 13 pts
Us a lot more.
Aston Villa are muscling in now too.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The comparison is a compliment. Three teams playing great football. Slightly different styles but none are superior to the others. Style of football is only good if it works and it has to evolve to keep competing. Take a look at the route 1 Mitoma goal on Saturday for proof of that.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I suspect if you dropped Toney into most of the clubs in the lower 10 of the league they'd be considerably better off.

I think we'd be comfortably top 4 if we had Toney and Ferguson as out main striking options with welbeck and Undav as back up.

In answer to your question all 3 have done well but we have the advantage of having been here longer. We've added quality players over these few seasons. I'd suggest our current team would comfortably beat our first season team maybe even embarrass them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It is a slight dent to my ego as a Brighton fan yes, but ultimately stay under the radar has got us this far.

I think the difference is that we've been proven to be structurally resilient and have based our model around excellent recruitment of young players around the world.

Brentford's success is more based around that they have a innovating and inspirational manager and striker who is verging on world class. Let's see how they get on when one or both are unavailable, as will inevitably happen soon. They will also probably lose other key players such as their left back and keeper. True Brentford have unearthed excellent strikers in recent years, but their lofty position doesn't strike me as remotely sustainable. Who's replacing Toney? Nobody they can get would come close.

Fulham are a surprise package, again this is based around a serial goalscorer and a good organised defence and midfield. In my view there is no prospect of them being top half next season. I don't think they could withstand key injuries or sales. Momentum has taken them this far, but that's about it

Whilst i'm saying this, I'm also aware that we might well find ourselves lower in the league next year and the year after, for the simple reason it's bloody hard to stay up there. We're above a team who have spent £600m in the last couple of years for example, can that continue? Maybe or maybe not, but I personally think our success is far more to do with structures and depth in all positions and less reliant on key personel than the other two.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fulham don't really feature in this conversation anymore. I find this mildly amusing as there were an awful lot of Fulham gobshites at Falmer station after they completely mugged us, singing about going on a European tour and generally not behaving as if they appreciated what a mugging it was. Well since then, its gone really horribly wrong for them and they will be lucky to finish in the top half, especially now that their striker is out for half of what remains of the season.

Brentford though - well it's fair to say we are easier on the eye and a slightly better team, but there's not much wrong with that club or their side. They are excellent at what they do, very organised, and score goals. If we didn't finish in the European places, I'd be slightly less unhappier if that was because Brentford had made it at our expense. Much rather that than Aston Villa (no-one likes them do they?) or Liverpool.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Would rather be lumped in with them than with Chelsea, Liverpool or Newcastle. Keep expectations manageable for everyone including the fans. Overachieve rather than be seen to underachieve.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't know but I made this on Saturday after Villa were suddenly nipping at our heels:

1680709558915.jpeg

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

For me footballing style isn't relevant. I like it. And it encourages me about football existentially. When it's so easy for people of my age to think it's been ruined. Its good to know that clubs are finding different angles of attack and commercially there is safety in numbers. If you are one club being an outlier threat, commercial forces can close ranks and squeeze you out. If you are multiple then you're a ' marketable movement!'. I'm personally always happy when you hear 'the likes of Brighton and Brentford' as its almost always couched in something complimentary. And let's face it, it's where we come from.

I'm happy that there is a group of upsetters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here