Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] "Brighton" (2021)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Has anyone else seen this absolute omnishambles of a film? Absolute disaster from start to finish.

Ostensibly set in Brighton, it stars Larry Lamb (who looks uncannily like Jim from Friday Night Dinner), Phil Davis doing his best Phil Davis impression, Lesley Sharp and Marion Bailey.

It is just about the most pointless 1hr 30mins imaginable. It is almost Biblical in its shitness. Absolutely no care, no attention to detail (long shots of Bexhill and Hastings, complete with shop signs prominently showing 01424 phone numbers). Even the final shot of the movie is a slow zoom out on Hastings pier.

The plot is almost nonexistent. It watches like a play (I'm assuming it was written as one) with the characters sitting around on deck chairs talking endless shite. There is practically zero location shooting in Brighton. It plays at being an examination of generational differences, touching on homophobia, racism and general prejudice - but doesn't really make any points or tell a story.

One of the most feeble movies I've seen in decades.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Saw the trailer for it and that was enough to put me off. That alone was awful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is almost Biblical... ...It watches like a play... ...touching on homophobia, racism and general prejudice.

Sounds good - I might give it a watch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did you mean to post this in the Amazon Prime recommendations thread?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Has anyone else seen this absolute omnishambles of a film? Absolute disaster from start to finish.

Ostensibly set in Brighton, it stars Larry Lamb (who looks uncannily like Jim from Friday Night Dinner), Phil Davis doing his best Phil Davis impression, Lesley Sharp and Marion Bailey.

It is just about the most pointless 1hr 30mins imaginable. It is almost Biblical in its shitness. Absolutely no care, no attention to detail (long shots of Bexhill and Hastings, complete with shop signs prominently showing 01424 phone numbers). Even the final shot of the movie is a slow zoom out on Hastings pier.

The plot is almost nonexistent. It watches like a play (I'm assuming it was written as one) with the characters sitting around on deck chairs talking endless shite. There is practically zero location shooting in Brighton. It plays at being an examination of generational differences, touching on homophobia, racism and general prejudice - but doesn't really make any points or tell a story.

Doesn't Larry Lamb have a sister in Brighton? He could have used his local connections.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

:facepalm:

You actually watched the trailer And still subjected yourself to this tripe :facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a bit like that Cloughie movie. Lazy film-making. The Cloughie one's just about sole reference to Brighton was somebody shuffling on a zimmer frame past a front window. Sake! :rolleyes:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's a bit like that Cloughie movie. Lazy film-making. The Cloughie one's just about sole reference to Brighton was somebody shuffling on a zimmer frame past a front window. Sake! :rolleyes:

If by “that Cloughie Movie” you mean the Damned United, it’s hardly centrally about Brighton!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Who are any of the people you mention as being in the film?! What platform did you watch it on? I've seen nothing about this "film".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here