Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton 2 - 3 Ipswich

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I wasn't at the game so could somebody just tell me how Lynch and Elphick palyed together as i'm really hoping that's the partnership come the start of season.

Sounded a good game though...

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
we had a bit of a shocker defensively in the first half - if it wasnt for kuipers we could have been 3-0 down at least at the break

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Sounds like we're a bit reliant on Kuipers at the moment. Hope this doesn't last the whole season.

At the Charlton game, which I went too, he made some great saves that most other league 1 keepers would not of kept out.

Defence needs to tighten up in time for the season.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Amusing moment of the first half was Forster issuing the same bollocking 4 times to Dean White. White had accused him of not making a run, and Forster kept shouting and pointing back "Have a go at me if i don't make the run - don't have a go at me if i do" over and over (and over) again!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I used to think that Forster's rants were a sign that he was unhappy and was genuinely worried that he'd get frustrated and leave the club. But I think it's just the way he plays. Man is a star.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
It seemed to me we had no midfield whatsoever last night. Ipswich were by no stretch of the imagination a good side with several players who could not pass or trap the ball but, for long periods of the game, they were able to run through our midfield without being challenged and this left the back four over-exposed. Also, we were still relying on the long diagonal ball into the penalty area and hoping for the best. Didn't look that much different from much of last season, really. We need a good defensive midfielder.

On the plus side, Mcleod took his goal excellently and as already posted, Kuipers was in top form.

I used to think that Forster's rants were a sign that he was unhappy and was genuinely worried that he'd get frustrated and leave the club. But I think it's just the way he plays. Man is a star.
He delivered a top rant at El-Abd during the first half - from a distance of about 40 yards.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
reff was dissapointin
1 penalty was a maybe
1 penalty was a 50 50 challenge
Kuipers had a great game done some top class saves
Where were the subs ? wanted 2 at least see virgo!

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
reff was dissapointin
1 penalty was a maybe
1 penalty was a 50 50 challenge
Kuipers had a great game done some top class saves
Where were the subs ? wanted 2 at least see virgo!

Bollocks. The first would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch, so should also be a penalty (although Lynch didn't actually need to tackle him.), and the second was the most blatant penalty you'll ever see. I actually thought the ref was good last night.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Lynch was not at his best last season, lost his form and never regained it. There is no way he can be first pick from what I saw on Saturday.

Hawkins or Virgo and Elphick for me.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Lynch was not at his best last season, lost his form and never regained it. There is no way he can be first pick from what I saw on Saturday.

Hawkins or Virgo and Elphick for me.

Lost his form:laugh:

Lynch and Elphick looked decent last year once Butters was dropped.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I wanted Lynch and Elphick to be the starting line up in central defence for the season, but after yesterday I dont know how well it will work.

From the 5 pre season games Ive seen, I would say the strongest partership is Elphick and Hawkins.

Last night Lynch summed himself up perfectly in 20 seconds. A long ball came over the top, he stumbled, made a howler of an attempted tackle, the striker got past him, was through on goal, but then he made a last ditch tackle, won the ball, and layed a great pass out wide to McLeod.

We were being carved apart pretty easily, and as it has been pointed out, if it wasnt for Kuipers we could have been 3 down easily in the 1st half.

The problem with the 2 centre backs last night, is that they both insist on playing 60 yard diagonal balls in the air to the wings. It pretty much never works as Cox is so small and cant win a header.

McLeod is very impressive and had some audacious efforts on goal, and took his goal really well. I was also impressed with his tracking back and tanlking last night.

If you swap Whing with El Abd, I would be happy with that to be the starting line up for the season

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Bollocks. The first would have been a foul anywhere else on the pitch, so should also be a penalty (although Lynch didn't actually need to tackle him.), and the second was the most blatant penalty you'll ever see. I actually thought the ref was good last night.

I must agree with the second penalty, looked like a blatant tug of the shirt with the guy clean through. However the first from where i was sat was never a penalty, i dont know where you were sat, i was in h block, but everyone near me could not believe a penalty was given either.
I think the middle of midfield is worrying, all the time we just seem to be passing the ball backwards, or short little balls which get us nowhere. none of them ever make any driving runs (like hammond) and none of them ever seem like scoring. At the moment the only goals we'll get from midfield is from mcleod and cox

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I must agree with the second penalty, looked like a blatant tug of the shirt with the guy clean through. However the first from where i was sat was never a penalty, i dont know where you were sat, i was in h block, but everyone near me could not believe a penalty was given either.
I think the middle of midfield is worrying, all the time we just seem to be passing the ball backwards, or short little balls which get us nowhere. none of them ever make any driving runs (like hammond) and none of them ever seem like scoring. At the moment the only goals we'll get from midfield is from mcleod and cox

I was sat in E block, but had quite a clear view. It looked to me like Lynch went through the man to get the ball, which is a foul. Quite why he felt the need to make a tackle in that sitaution I don't know, since the guy was going nowhere.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
which is exactly why, although I think he is the best central defender we have, may not be first choice pick

There was a moment in the first half, one of the points where Kuipers made successsive saves, where Elphick was shrugged of the ball FAR too easily by their pacey striker.

Now if that was Lynch, I bet that many fans around me would have shouted atg him to 'get stuck in'. Since many people think that whatever Elphick does he is a world beater, I heard many 'Unlucky Tommys' from behind me. I believe that Lynch at his best is better than Elphick but that our fans are far more forgiving towards Elphick if he makes a mistake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here