Bridcutt "not focused enough"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can I clarify. Are the club saying he is not in the right frame of mind or Liam?

He's not actually refusing to play is he? That's a genuine question by the way. I've not read about it.

Oscar revealed: “He (Bridcutt) was available for selection but he spoke with Nathan and he said that maybe he would not be focused on the game 100%. A lot of things are happening around him and he was honest and for this he didn't play".

So not refusing to play. But following that conversation, not selected.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Brighton: Liam Bridcutt transfer saga 'unsavoury' - Keith Andrews

more................ "I can understand it but it hasn't been nice for anybody; the club, Liam and the way it has been dealt with.

"There are issues with a former manager trying to get him. It's been a little bit unsavoury, I suppose," Andrews told BBC Sussex.

"It is one of those things you get in football now. We'll know by next Friday night what is going to happen.

"Truth be told, Liam has been very good for this football club and the football club equally has been very good for Liam."..............more

Ref: BBC

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Interesting what Andrews has said there about it being a bit unsavoury.

Maybe things have been going on behind the scenes that are a bit naughty? I guess we'll never be told but wonder if our ex-manager is being a tad spiteful and stirring things up?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton: Liam Bridcutt transfer saga 'unsavoury' - Keith Andrews

more................ "I can understand it but it hasn't been nice for anybody; the club, Liam and the way it has been dealt with.

"There are issues with a former manager trying to get him. It's been a little bit unsavoury, I suppose," Andrews told BBC Sussex.

"It is one of those things you get in football now. We'll know by next Friday night what is going to happen.

"Truth be told, Liam has been very good for this football club and the football club equally has been very good for Liam."..............more

Ref: BBC

I find this interesting. I would love to know, specifically, what the unsavoury bit or bits of this situation is/are.

Sunderland bid. Fair enough, although their bid is way, way too low, a piss-take, but not unsavoury.
We reject bid. Fair enough.
Liam puts in transfer request to push move through. Fair enough.
We reject transfer request. Fair enough.
Liam says he would not be focused on the (Derby) game 100%. Not too great IMHO, but not really unsavoury.
We don't play him. Fair enough.

So what is unsavoury here?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Maybe things have been going on behind the scenes that are a bit naughty? I guess we'll never be told but wonder if our ex-manager is being a tad spiteful and stirring things up?

Tapping-up. Hmmm. I wonder?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting words used by Andrews. Reading between the lines it sounds like Bloom is extremely pissed off with Gus making a low offer and is pissed off with Bridcutt for lodging a transfer request, and everyone at the club knows how he feels.

I wonder whether the Argus story about a bidding war has come about because the club are touting Liam to other clubs. It will be interesting if, say, Norwich come in with a higher fee than Sunderland but Bridcutt refuses to go to the Canaries because he wants to be with Gus.

I don't see how the club can let the window go by without selling Bridcutt because we can't afford to have a £3 million asset wasting away in the reserves - it will be a hard sell come season-ticket renewal time if prices go up because of the rigours of FFP yet the club have chosen not to cash in on a player who isn't playing.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interesting words used by Andrews. Reading between the lines it sounds like Bloom is extremely pissed off with Gus making a low offer and is pissed off with Bridcutt for lodging a transfer request, and everyone at the club knows how he feels.

I wonder whether the Argus story about a bidding war has come about because the club are touting Liam to other clubs. It will be interesting if, say, Norwich come in with a higher fee than Sunderland but Bridcutt refuses to go to the Canaries because he wants to be with Gus.

I don't see how the club can let the window go by without selling Bridcutt because we can't afford to have a £3 million asset wasting away in the reserves - it will be a hard sell come season-ticket renewal time if prices go up because of the rigours of FFP yet the club have chosen not to cash in on a player who isn't playing.

I think were Liam to still be here come Feb 1st he would knuckle down and play.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can only speculate that perhaps Bridcutt feels that the club have put too high a valuation on him, and are therefore currently pricing him out of his dream move.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I find this interesting. I would love to know, specifically, what the unsavoury bit or bits of this situation is/are.

Sunderland bid. Fair enough, although their bid is way, way too low, a piss-take, but not unsavoury.
We reject bid. Fair enough.
Liam puts in transfer request to push move through. Fair enough.
We reject transfer request. Fair enough.
Liam says he would not be focused on the (Derby) game 100%. Not too great IMHO, but not really unsavoury.
We don't play him. Fair enough.

So what is unsavoury here?

Maybe Bloom's reaction to Liam's transfer request was "I'm not selling you to that kvnt for less than £4mill, you can shove your transfer request up your arse and get the fvck right out of my office now!"

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I fail to see why he chose, or was advised to hand in a transfer request as this only serves to make his move publicly messy, not speed it up.

By handing in a transfer request I can understand why we have the focusing issue with him now but it has been self inflicted.

We also have to consider that he has been put between a rock and a hard place from outside pressure and interference. The sooner we can sever player ties with Poyet the better, even if it means some other players which I will not name.

The main thing is making sure we make good profit from Gus's advances so we gain an advantage in recruiting and developing players.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can only speculate that perhaps Bridcutt feels that the club have put too high a valuation on him,

I HATE to do this on NSC as 99% of "SAUCES" are false but, yes, that's what my SAUCE told me also.

In fact, that was in the summer just gone.

Now I feel DIRTY.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe Bloom's reaction to Liam's transfer request was "I'm not selling you to that kvnt for less than £4mill, you can shove your transfer request up your arse and get the fvck right out of my office now!"

But surely the transfer request makes no difference other than that it probably means he forgoes a loyalty bonus. Transfer request or not, the buying club still need to meet our valuation!

Bridcutt should consider himself lucky to have the job that he has. He should play for the club that employs him and for the fans that have supported him. That he has had his head turned by a bigger club is not a good enough reason to continue drawing his salary but not doing the job.

I think we can all agree on that.

He's not refusing to do his job though is he, although all your posts seem to gravitate to that assumption. So, no, we don't all agree on that.

I think it's fine to question the guy's attitude in saying he's not focused. Taking into account what he is asked to do day in day out it's not exactly a high pressured situation. I mean, when this is over he'll be on a handsome salary playing for a side going for promotion to the premier league and he's wanted here OR he'll be on a very handsome salary for a premier league side that wanted him so much they splashed the cash. Not exactly something that should worry him.

No it shouldn't worry him. Simple choice is go with the money. However, maybe he has been torn between his loyalty to us. Also, do you genuinely believe there is no pressure on players to perform!!! Not the same as life or death but pressure none the less.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I HATE to do this on NSC as 99% of "SAUCES" are false but, yes, that's what my SAUCE told me also.

In fact, that was in the summer just gone.

Now I feel DIRTY.

Just seems the most likely reason for things being a bit unsavoury. I certainly have no SAUCE. That just came straight out me NOGGIN.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No it shouldn't worry him. Simple choice is go with the money. However, maybe he has been torn between his loyalty to us. Also, do you genuinely believe there is no pressure on players to perform!!! Not the same as life or death but pressure none the less.

Of course there is pressure on players to perform, but that's not the cause for this lack of focus is it? If it is, then Sunderland should pull out as the pressure will arguably be more intense one rung further up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I understand it, a player has to put in a transfer request to be able to talk to the buying club. Elliott Bennett did the same two years ago.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can only speculate that perhaps Bridcutt feels that the club have put too high a valuation on him, and are therefore currently pricing him out of his dream move.

Is that unsavoury tho? Not saying it's wrong BTW.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As I understand it, a player has to put in a transfer request to be able to talk to the buying club. Elliott Bennett did the same two years ago.

Thats not my understanding.
As soon as the two clubs agree a fee, the player can speak to the other club, but not until. A transfer request is neither here nor there.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I agree that would be unsavoury, but I suspect it is unlikely!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is that unsavoury tho? Not saying it's wrong BTW.

Well, not in itself. But we don't know whats been happening behind the scenes do we. Maybe Liam has had a hissy fit over it at some point. Maybe Liam "not being focussed" has caused a bit of unrest and disharmony with some of the other players. We have no way of knowing, and you wouldn't expect Keith Andrews to go into specifics. But reading between the lines of what he has said today, it has perhaps caused something of an atmosphere.

Can only speculate though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports