Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I still reiterate that Bridcutt is not good enough for the Premier league as he is at the moment. His performances playing at a higher tempo style of play have not proven that he can make the step up. It Gus wants to play the slowbuild up possession game that he did down here, then Bridcutt may be ok, providing he has a couple of hard working midfielders with him.

In your opinion.

My opinion is that your opinion is utter tosh.

The quicker the game, the better for Liam. He has an engine that just won't quit, and footballing brain and organisational awareness that will see him comfortably settle into a Sunderland side.

I wouldn't be surprised to see - if Gus lands him - Bridcutt be made Sunderland captain. Or VC at the very least.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quoting BP is just silly. I'm sure there are good players acquired at the end of the window too, especially if the groundwork is done early. We are no longer 'amateur-hour'.

BP wasn't that long ago. I guess it's a balance, isn't it? And I recognise that very few teams do all their business at the start of the window. I'm certainly not one of the betwetters who panics when we haven't bought someone within the first 1-2 weeks of the window opening.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In your opinion.

My opinion is that your opinion is utter tosh.

The quicker the game, the better for Liam. He has an engine that just won't quit, and footballing brain and organisational awareness that will see him comfortably settle into a Sunderland side.

I wouldn't be surprised to see - if Gus lands him - Bridcutt be made Sunderland captain. Or VC at the very least.

Bridcutt suited Gus's PAINFULLY slow passing game. Hard to know whether he would work in a faster team. He's not a quick player whatsoever, Rohan is much quicker with the ball, and suits Oscar's game more, I reckon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes that.

I cant see any downside for Bridders.

He will be on MOTD every week.
He will probably QUADRUPLE his wages
He gets at least 3/4 mts Prem Football
If they go down realistically they will be faves to go back up AND he will still be on MEGA money.

Quite. And if you asked most people: Who in the next 3 years is more likely to spend more of that time in the Prem out of Brighton and Sunderland, it's a no brainer really.

If Bridders goes to Sunderland, or any other Premier club that could get relegated for that matter, it can only be a good thing for him in all honesty. If he plays well and looks like he can hack it he is already in the shop window, staying here he doesn't prove to anyone he is capable and the shop window is down an alley.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
*What better players? Most of them are lower Premier League - top half Championship at best. Bearing in mind where Sunderland are in the table, he is hardly developing working alongside "better" players?

* Clubs sign players with relegation clauses so that their wages fall upon relegation to the Championship

* It's still Sunderland - where men are men and so are the women!

I still reiterate that Bridcutt is not good enough for the Premier league as he is at the moment. His performances playing at a higher tempo style of play have not proven that he can make the step up. It Gus wants to play the slowbuild up possession game that he did down here, then Bridcutt may be ok, providing he has a couple of hard working midfielders with him.

If Bridcutt has sense, he will stick with Oscar for another year as his game will develop better at this level and learning to play a different style rather than at a club who whilst they may survive this year will do so by the skin of their teeth and where the liklihood of Poyet being in charge in 12 months time are slim and so meaning that he may not get the oppurtunities to play as often as he does here.

Someone else mentioned Elliott Bennett as an example of the grass not always being greener, but I'd also use Dan Harding and Joel Lynch...Both of whom thought they were better than the club...both of which are in no better position clubwise now as theymay have been if they'dve stuck with us.

Not many players leave us and go onto to bigger and better things...Zamora is the only exception to the rule in the last 15 years that I can think of.

Noone?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I can't imagine anyone arguing against moving anywhere in the UK to enable their partner to treble their salary.

True, but if I already earned £5 - 10 k a week, I'd happily stay in Brighton rather than living in the north east for any increase (even £100k a week).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bridcutt suited Gus's PAINFULLY slow passing game. Hard to know whether he would work in a faster team. He's not a quick player whatsoever, Rohan is much quicker with the ball, and suits Oscar's game more, I reckon.

To me, that's re-writing history a bit, and making the team sound one-dimensional. There were times when we could whizz and ping the ball about like greased weasel-shit, and Bridcutt would be in the thick of it.

Besides, Bridcutt's best work, and his speciality, is when we don't have the ball.

And if you're going to use 'slow football' as a marker to beat Gus with, how slow was the Reading game for the most part?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Someone else mentioned Elliott Bennett as an example of the grass not always being greener, but I'd also use Dan Harding and Joel Lynch...Both of whom thought they were better than the club...both of which are in no better position clubwise now as theymay have been if they'dve stuck with us.

Not many players leave us and go onto to bigger and better things...Zamora is the only exception to the rule in the last 15 years that I can think of.

Bennett, Noone, Murray, Hammond.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

That would be suicide for Gus to do that right away. Yes Bridcutt is a captain in the making, but it certainly wouldnt be popular with the fans and the rest of the Sunderland team that a player just signed from a Championship club with no top-flight experience has been made captain of a side battling against relegation, especially when he hasnt been a captain for more than 1 or 2 games.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BP wasn't that long ago. I guess it's a balance, isn't it? And I recognise that very few teams do all their business at the start of the window. I'm certainly not one of the betwetters who panics when we haven't bought someone within the first 1-2 weeks of the window opening.

Yes. A balance. We have to plan for all likely scenarios, including Liam leaving and what we would do with the money received if it happens. I have every faith we will have completed the groundwork. BP will NOT be on the shopping list! :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To me, that's re-writing history a bit, and making the team sound one-dimensional. There were times when we could whizz and ping the ball about like greased weasel-shit, and Bridcutt would be in the thick of it.

Besides, Bridcutt's best work, and his speciality, is when we don't have the ball.

And if you're going to use 'slow football' as a marker to beat Gus with, how slow was the Reading game for the most part?

Who says I'm beating Gus with that stick? You know I was a HUGE fan of Gus's style of play. Bottom line is I think Bridcutt suited Gus's patient passing style down to a tee, whereas generally we play a lot faster under Oscar, and that's partly why I think Crofts has had a better season this year.

Under Gus Bridcutt would always always ALWAYS pick up the ball from Greer/El Abd/Upson. Nowadays it often bypasses the DM.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Why do so many posters assume Bridcutt will be on premier league wages if Sunderland get relegated...?

I am aware they would get parachute payments, but most clubs these days (with FFP) have relegation clauses in their contracts.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here