Brian Clough.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I am WAY to young to remember Brian Clough as manager at Brighton but from what i have seen of him with clips and what i have read he seemed like a man who was not afraid to speak the truth. I found this clip from when he was in charge at the Albion and we got beat 8-2 by Bristol Rovers in the 73/74 season . What was he actually like as a manager with us, I'd love to know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjmtNe-Y5I&feature=related

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The best thing about the post match interview he gave on that day was the fact Bristol Rovers were running away with it at the time and Clough pointed out 'We were the only team to put two past them this year.' Genius!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
he was a complete and utter twat - took the job because he needed employment but never wanted to be this far south

Peter Taylor on the other hand was a gentleman and the better manager of the two IMO being less up his own arse and more in the real world

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I am WAY to young to remember Brian Clough as manager at Brighton but from what i have seen of him with clips and what i have read he seemed like a man who was not afraid to speak the truth. I found this clip from when he was in charge at the Albion and we got beat 8-2 by Bristol Rovers in the 73/74 season . What was he actually like as a manager with us, I'd love to know?

Fascinating. Thanks.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
He signed: Peter Grummitt (good), Ken Goodeve (useless), Harry Wilson (useless), Ronnie Welch (useless), Paul Fuschillo (useless), Billy McEwan (OK), Steve Govier (useless), Andy Rollings (good), Ian Mellor (good) and Fred Binney (good). I thought he just made big changes without thinking first, when Peter Taylor (The First) took over we started to build the team which so far was the best in the history of the club.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
The good thing about the appointment is that he gave us massive publicity as a club and gave us the genius in player spotting that was Peter Taylor (1). As for Clough himself he turned around the season that looked rather shipwrecked after being thrashed by Walton & Hersham and Bristol Rovers in the same week to keep us in the 3rd Division (or League 1 as it is referred to nowadays). He was a disciplinarian, did not suffer fools gladly, did not like the South and walked as soon as he could in a manner that he would have slated if a player had done the same to him. At least as has been said Peter Taylor had principles and stayed even though it split up an excellent partnership. Taylor went on to build the team but lacked that motivational edge of Clough. Mullery later took over to achieve the success on the foundations Taylor had made, and our golden period. It could also be said that the Clough era was in a small way the start of the Palace rivalry as the press bigged up one of the initial matches as the battle of the big named managers Clough verses Allison (Malcolm Allison), little did we know at that time how that battle would form with the fans over the next few years.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Nigel Clough (Derby Manager!) to the left! at the 2-8 thrashing. I remember him saying back then, if my kids want to get anywhere then they won't be following me into football management!!

What was his other kids name? Did he go into football as well?

Attachments

• clough.jpg
    clough.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 392

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
...It could also be said that the Clough era was in a small way the start of the Palace rivalry as the press bigged up one of the initial matches as the battle of the big named managers Clough verses Allison (Malcolm Allison), little did we know at that time how that battle would form with the fans over the next few years.
I don't think that's quite true. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure we never even played Palace under Clough as they were in a higher division. They got relegated and we played them under Taylor - but they weren't our rivals then. Not until Mullery and Venables took over did we become rivals.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Nigel Clough (Derby Manager!) to the left! at the 2-8 thrashing. I remember him saying back then, if my kids want to get anywhere then they won't be following me into football management!!

What was his other kids name? Did he go into football as well?

Simon, no - Still lives in Derby but can't recall what he's up to.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I don't think that's quite true. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure we never even played Palace under Clough as they were in a higher division. They got relegated and we played them under Taylor - but they weren't our rivals then. Not until Mullery and Venables took over did we become rivals.

That's what I remember too

we played palace a few months before clough arrived in a friendly and it started kicking off,then the first league game after he left was palace at home over 26,000 in the goldstone mellor one-nil:ascarf:Palace had the upper hand early on but it became alot more even over the coming years:smokin: rise of the idiots

PalG

Nov 22, 2010

You weren't even born.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports