Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ditto, ditto.

And I won't be getting drawn into anymore discussions on it. We move on and should do as one behind Britain the country we choose to live in.

'Rule, Brittania'

Have you supported every government through your lifetime as you’ve always got behind Britain?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Many brexiteers now saying they wanted to leave the EU for no other reason that it's the EU. There's people in remote jungles that recognise that's bollocks. Some Brexit jihadistsf saying, 10+ years of it being hard, then all will be ok, In a country where thousands lost their minds over KFC running out of chicken for a few days. Will be an interesting 10+ years. Most Brexit voters will be crying after a couple of months, never mind 10+ years.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
What I don’t get about Remainers is why they're so attached to it. For years, the EEC/EC/EU was this boring Europudding of an organisation that was all about bureaucracy, butter mountains, wine lakes and expense accounts. There was a TV show on Channel 4 in the 1990s called The Gravy Train that took the piss out of it and everyone just laughed along. Jasper Carrot did a joke about no one knowing who their Euro MP was and only one person in the audience did.

And then the EU started wanting political power and to have its own currency and people thought, Ah sod this, this is getting a bit much. And at this point, a certain section of society suddenly decided that the EU was the hill they’d die on, that those who didn’t like it were awful working class Nazis, and they gaslit kids into thinking it was the end of civilisation as we know it to pull out.

Ignoring your dull stereotyping i take it you from above you are of the view Brexit will be a great success? I really hope so, we have left and seems we will either be a vassal state deal or have a no deal. Not sure what the Brexiteers are after but lets see how it goes. We are led by Brexiteers, Boris, Raab, Williamson, Patel and Cummings (nearly) so its their call. Fingers crosses they know how to lead and take us to a better place

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
What I don’t get about Remainers is why they're so attached to it. For years, the EEC/EC/EU was this boring Europudding of an organisation that was all about bureaucracy, butter mountains, wine lakes and expense accounts. There was a TV show on Channel 4 in the 1990s called The Gravy Train that took the piss out of it and everyone just laughed along. Jasper Carrot did a joke about no one knowing who their Euro MP was and only one person in the audience did.

And then the EU started wanting political power and to have its own currency and people thought, Ah sod this, this is getting a bit much. And at this point, a certain section of society suddenly decided that the EU was the hill they’d die on, that those who didn’t like it were awful working class Nazis, and they gaslit kids into thinking it was the end of civilisation as we know it to pull out.

It’s their superhero complex kicking in again. Most of them wouldn’t have given a damn before, but as soon as they were told that ‘right-wingers’ and ‘racists’ would vote to leave, they decided that must be bad and must do the opposite to be good, the media pretty much told them that for years. Before the referendum, any talk of immigration was regarded as racism, a lot of the Remainers haven’t be able to get this out of their heads. A lot of the Remainers can’t get the result out of their head either, constantly going back to it to get replies out of other Remainers to make themselves feel better, it’s pretty sad.

It’s funny how we were always dubbed ‘racists’ when they would say things like “You don’t want Europe to be controlled by one power? You must be racist!” With no hint of irony at all.

I can see in many years that the EU will want parts of Africa, and we’ll still get “What? You don’t want Africa to be controlled by one federal government in Europe? How racist of you!”

Oh, and don’t forget that Remain voters have changed to wanting to leave now that Project Fear hasn’t come to fruition like many on here said it would.

The whole “I’m European before I’m British/English” stuff stinks of xenophobia too. I feel sorry for anyone brainwashed enough to hate their country and her people that much.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and don’t forget that Remain voters have changed to wanting to leave now that Project Fear hasn’t come to fruition like many on here said it would.

Maybe judge project fear when the UK has actually left the EU and is trading on its own?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I don’t get about Remainers is why they're so attached to it. For years, the EEC/EC/EU was this boring Europudding of an organisation that was all about bureaucracy, butter mountains, wine lakes and expense accounts.

Given you seem to have obtained your information from The Sun it’s no wonder you don’t get it. Maybe if you read a proper newspaper you might?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's very noticeable on the 'Brexit Good News' thread on the main Board. Despite having a day to think about it, no leave supporter has been capable of giving a single definable or measurable benefit to Brexit but have simply given the normal, visceral, non definable (or measurable) benefits to voting leave. Long gone are the 'new trade deals', 'wonderful new opportunities', 'easiest deals in history', 'taking back control' etc etc

These are all genuine quotes from that thread.

There's the blind hope that something undefined will turn up (even still clinging onto the imaginary 'good deal')

that we'll be financially poorer BUT I think what we lose financially we gain from our independence from a political organisation
I think we are pretty close to a deal that suits all parties (all negotiators)

or, if you are young enough and live long enough there's apparent hope that you may seem some benefits

Still have absolute faith that even this government will take advantage of new opportunities - but the benefits will be truly apparent in a decade and decades to come
I'm not sure it will be possible to judge how it's gone until at least twenty years have passed since we've properly left

But the vast majority are still blaming the EU for getting the UK into this situation rather than the UK's inability to carry out it's promises and leave

The realisation that "you can never truly leave..." like a political Patrick McGooohan is something we learnt after the vote
not least because the EU don't want our leaving to be smooth or painless
so I still feel it's the right decision but the leaving process has been far more problematic than necessary
The EU unsurprisingly have exploited this weakness

No matter how many times they are told that the EU can do nothing to stop us leaving, and it's the fact that we still want to keep some of the EU benefits that's causing the problems, they keep coming back with this drivel.

Same old, same old. As the whole half-baked clusterf*** steadily and inexorably turns to shit, It's always someone else's fault

Still we'll have a better idea exactly how deep the shit is in a few weeks

Tick tock

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Results of the Pole are skewed by Non Brexit Voters.

I will be challenging the Results on NSC in the UK Courts.

I will be posting a Telephone Donation Line for people to donate into for my Court Challenge.

Disclaimer : " Only 1% of the funds Donated will be used to fund the Challenge in the Courts - The remainder will be used to fund my next year's Summer Holiday ( 74%). With the balancing 25% used to fund an alcohol problem that I hope to establish should there be enough funds left available to do so"

Yours Sincerely

NooBHA

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It’s their superhero complex kicking in again. Most of them wouldn’t have given a damn before, but as soon as they were told that ‘right-wingers’ and ‘racists’ would vote to leave, they decided that must be bad and must do the opposite to be good, the media pretty much told them that for years. Before the referendum, any talk of immigration was regarded as racism, a lot of the Remainers haven’t be able to get this out of their heads. A lot of the Remainers can’t get the result out of their head either, constantly going back to it to get replies out of other Remainers to make themselves feel better, it’s pretty sad.

It’s funny how we were always dubbed ‘racists’ when they would say things like “You don’t want Europe to be controlled by one power? You must be racist!” With no hint of irony at all.

I can see in many years that the EU will want parts of Africa, and we’ll still get “What? You don’t want Africa to be controlled by one federal government in Europe? How racist of you!”

The whole “I’m European before I’m British/English” stuff stinks of xenophobia too. I feel sorry for anyone brainwashed enough to hate their country and her people that much.

Most remainers are no better than Trump and his crew in not accepting a result

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Probably the most succinct, factual, detailed and well researched statement of the case for Brexit that I have seen :lolol:

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I obviously didnt vote in your Brexit election but I am anti-EU as I like power to be decentralised and democratic and the EU is neither.

I have the same thoughts on power being held as locally as possible, but I also see the sense in having some law making or rule setting apply to the widest possible area. There is a debate to be had over whether the EU has too much or not enough powers, many of the issues people had with it could have been solved if the EU were able to do more.
The EU has many faults, but is it better to be in it and try and make it work better, or be out and have much reduced if any influence over its direction, but still be affected to some extent by it's actions? My feeling was, and is, that there are more benefits than drawbacks as it is, and that with a bit more engagement from the UK side, it could be improved.
There was also no definitive relationship status if, as we did, vote to leave. It was likely in my mind that we end up much like Norway, and I think over time that we probably still will as different Governments seek to restore some of the lost benefits, the EU is not going away and we will still be an Island on its doorstep.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There has been well thought out reasons why!? I have never come across any and I have asked many many times.

How is asking a question of why they wanted to vote that way "sneering"!?

That is why I ask why they voted that way!? How is that bad? Am I supposed to just ignore it?

CAP is a policy that can be changed. Why is leaving preferable over changing CAP? Wont the end goal be the same but without the cost and upheaval of brexit.

Isn't power centralised in London? I am not sure I follow.

OK - so hopefully for one final time I will explain my position and why I voted Leave. Just to highlight the question in this thread though, it isn't to explain the benefits of leaving ( or not leaving ) - go to the Brexit thread for those.

I voted leave because I don't believe the UK should belong to a political organisation that restricts what laws the UK government can pass. If, and it's a big if, the 'organisation' had remained a tradlng block only then I'd be happy for us to remain a member. As it is the EEC has morphed into a pseudo state known as the EU - with it's own currency, flag, anthem etc. Now some may say that is a good thing - indeed I'll accept that things like the mobile roaming charges rules and the taking on of monopolies such as Google and Microsoft are good outcomes from the EU ( although I do have some sympathy with Microsoft around the IE ruling as everyone had the option to use a different browser ).

BUT, and I like big butts :whistle:, I don't believe the a political organisation should have any control over what we do as an independent state. If we wish to throw billions of pounds at a particular business sector that should be our choice. If we wish to change our tax levels then we should be able ( and yes I know we can as a member of the EU but it is limited ).

Finally I believe democratic control should be as close to the voter as possible. The EU believe in centralisation - i.e. the 700 odd MEPs ( plus the 'unelected' parts of the EU ) decide what happens. This is not necessarily a bad thing if you want to make BIG decisions. But try influencing how an MEP votes - good luck. Try influencing an MP / Government and you might get some success ( Rashford ? ). Try influencing a councillor and you have a good chance of success.

There is a reason we have devolved governments in Wales, Scotland and NI. As well as directly elected mayors and Unitary Authorities. It's because the people want as much influence over political decisions as possible - the EU doesn't give us that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here