Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shouldn't that also be kleine instead of wenig?

I was just thinking that actually. Yes, wenig isn't really appropriate if I am understanding the context.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This is your problem, a constructive rational debate between adults does not need to regress to a position of blowing arguments out of the water........its little wonder you have kept a list mein wenig schweinshaxe!

Holzkopf is a much better class of insult,or arschloch if annoyed!

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Just had a look in the local post office. EURGBP is at 1.06 / 1.23. That means they'll sell you 1.06 Euros for £1, or buy 1.23 Euros for £1.

That means the exchange rate is 1.145, between the two, and the agent is taking a 7% commission on each transaction.

It doesn't mean "ONE POUND IS ONLY WORTH 1.06 EUROS, THE WORLD IS GOING TO END".

In essence that's correct although you're not quite right.
Rarely does the mid-point between these extortionate retail spreads reflect where the actual interbank spot rate is - there is almost always a built in bias.
In this case as the GBP/EUR rate is around 1.123 and has been there or thereabouts most of the day so in this scenario there is a bias slightly favouring Brits exchanging Pounds into Euros - it's still a hefty 5½ % charge though.
FYI this currency pair is quoted & trade inversely on FX Markets which puts EUR/GBP at around 89.04

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
In essence that's correct although you're not quite right.
Rarely does the mid-point between these extortionate retail spreads reflect where the actual interbank spot rate is - there is almost always a built in bias.
In this case as the GBP/EUR rate is around 1.123 and has been there or thereabouts most of the day so in this scenario there is a bias slightly favouring Brits exchanging Pounds into Euros - it's still a hefty 5½ % charge though.
FYI this currency pair is quoted & trade inversely on FX Markets which puts EUR/GBP at around 89.04
Cheers, good info

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You're not you're usual spiky self today. Wonder why? :lolol:

PS its meine and capital S on the Schwein.

Post Brexit what's to be spiky about?

The daily evidence of pants being literally soaked in piss by those moaning about democracy, rampant racism and financial apocalypse etc. is like a soothing balm, its very calming.

I am also an admirer of Noel Coward's work.......so as far as you are concerned I have taken his advice.

Thanks for the German tips, when I am over there I usually find the Germans always want to practice their own English speaking skills with a native speaker. I find that a lot in Europe, it could explain why the English struggle with those less relevant languages.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not quite so obvious about whether he would have voted remain or leave, though. Vote Leave is not necessarily the same as vote UKIP. Lots of Labour voters voted for leave, but wouldn't normally vote UKIP (unless the main line parties look like trying to renege on the referendum).

It happens I do know how Attila voted and why, but it's not for me to say. On your other point, I believe Labour have a problem in that many of their traditional voters are actually now quite right wing. Tribal loyalty may have kept them voting Labour in the past but the referendum may have fractured the habit. We shall see.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well it shows the system doesn't work if one region of a country can overule the whole process.

Seems we are better off out in some ways.

Doesn't bode well for our deal with the EU though, but we shall see.

You will recall that Brexiteer after Brexiteer was on here before 23 June saying that there would be no problem about signing an advantageous trade deal with the EU because the Germans would insist on it and everyone listens to the Germans you gullible fool (the last three words aren't meant for you - they're what Remainers were called for suggesting otherwise).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It happens I do know how Attila voted and why, but it's not for me to say. On your other point, I believe Labour have a problem in that many of their traditional voters are actually now quite right wing. Tribal loyalty may have kept them voting Labour in the past but the referendum may have fractured the habit. We shall see.
Ah, that old chestnut about it being a right wing thing to want to leave the EU. Yes, UKIP maybe - well, are - right wing, but a lot more people voted leave than ever voted for UKIP.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

There are many Labour voters who voted Leave and who are not right wing. The Referendum was not a Left/Right debate or if it was I can equally make the left wing case for Leave in terms of a vote against low wage/multinational company/free market EU. Remember the single European market was a Tory idea ! To claim that anyone who doesn't fall into line with it is Right wing is a bit
much. Apologies if this was not your intention but it is the way it reads.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You will recall that Brexiteer after Brexiteer was on here before 23 June saying that there would be no problem about signing an advantageous trade deal with the EU because the Germans would insist on it and everyone listens to the Germans you gullible fool (the last three words aren't meant for you - they're what Remainers were called for suggesting otherwise).

If the deal is of significant advantage to either Germany or France thats exactly what will happen, either way it shows how too many vested interests hinder any decision making, its a lose lose.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

So your position is that the inability of the EU to sign a trade deal with Canada demonstrates that we should have voted to Remain? I can fully understand the advantages of EU membership but I'm pretty sure that bureaucratic failure isnt one of them.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You've been playing with your Googles again...

My junior NCO at a barracks in Hameln kept on calling the civilian workers 'kopf mit vier ecke' as that was the closest he could get to squarehead in the German/English dictionary,but a young fraulein sorted him out with holzkopf (blockhead) instead.The other word comes from many a night in low-down bier-stuben!:drink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My junior NCO at a barracks in Hameln kept on calling the civilian workers 'kopf mit vier ecke' as that was the closest he could get to squarehead in the German/English dictionary,but a young fraulein sorted him out with holzkopf (blockhead) instead.The other word comes from many a night in low-down bier-stuben!:drink:

Were you ever curious what they meant by Glockenende?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here