Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Gull

Banned
May 3, 2016
If you vote out you are a racist/homophobe/transphobe/sexist.

Probably in that order in terms of severity.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you vote out you are a racist/homophobe/transphobe/sexist.

Probably in that order in terms of severity.

Well done - a well thought out argument with plenty of salient points. :facepalm:

Gull

Banned
May 3, 2016
Well done - a well thought out argument with plenty of salient points. :facepalm:

It is true though, you ask anyone who votes out if they support mass immigration from poor countries and they almost always say no. They are nasty people, there is so much room in the north of england for refugees and what not. Yet even people here seem to discriminate against them.....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
No no I haven't done that I've previous criticised the inability of Outers to produce people who are ITK that back brexit. Virtually every economist and every political leader you ask is for remain. The point is that if Out could produce them they would. I've brought up a letter from ex-military types, the generals letter, and a letter signed by every living former US treasury secretary. You might be confusing me with Herr T who did comment on a group of brexiter economists who, er, had some dubious backgrounds.

The point is they have but you simply ignore them as it doesn't suit your argument/line.

100 leading City names sign letter backing Brexit - http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...ames-sign-letter-backing-brexit-a3236841.html

The Economists for Brexit is a group of eight independent, leading economists who are convinced of the strong economic case for leaving the EU. - http://www.economistsforbrexit.co.uk/

The eight economists in the independent group include respected figures such as Gerard Lyons, Boris Johnson’s economic adviser; Roger Bootle, founder of consultancy Capital Economics; and Ryan Bourne, head of public policy at the Institute of Economic Affairs, the free market think-tank. - FT (!)

A group of eight influential economists have thrown their support behind the Leave campaign in the UK's referendum on EU membership. - BBC

a group of brexiter economists who, er, had some dubious backgrounds - 5ways

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It is true though, you ask anyone who votes out if they support mass immigration from poor countries and they almost always say no. They are nasty people, there is so much room in the north of england for refugees and what not. Yet even people here seem to discriminate against them.....

Ughh ?? Maybe you need to ask the people in the North before you dump them there

Gull

Banned
May 3, 2016
Ughh ?? Maybe you need to ask the people in the North before you dump them there

Well they obviously couldn't afford houses here... Plus because they are all so lazy and uneducated down there, the incoming people would have no trouble finding work there.

Gull

Banned
May 3, 2016
With that we'll thought out argument you must be a remainer

It is true though. My friend is a diversity officer from Preston which is in the North, and she said to me the North is crying out for more migrants, they have totally enriched the communities they live in. The North and refugees/migrants go together like hand and glove. The people who live there are usually racist though thats the only down side.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
So are you saying that Roger Bootle and Lord King are not IN THE KNOW?

Lord King hasn't opted for Brexit has he? I'm talking about the fact that the Economists for Brexit are extremely right-wing.

"Does the economic modelling add up? Almost certainly not. The underlying model is Prof Minford’s “Liverpool model” that, confusingly, is no longer based at Liverpool University, but is of an extreme free-market vintage that became fashionable in the late 1970s and early 1980s."
https://next.ft.com/content/9394016c-0d43-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515
Prof Minford also thought that introducing a minimum wage would send unemployment soaring to 3 million. :shrug:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It is true though. My friend is a diversity officer from Preston which is in the North, and she said to me the North is crying out for more migrants, they have totally enriched the communities they live in. The North and refugees/migrants go together like hand and glove. The people who live there are usually racist though thats the only down side.
Lol....I really find that hard to believe to be honest as the north is lacking jobs and more people will not help.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

One thing that I have always found curious is that people I know who have no interest in politics or social issues in other parts of the country, who are unconcerned about poor housing and bad transport links and inadequate schools unless they are in their street, have suddenly become greatly exercised by EU immigration in parts of the land they couldn't even locate on a map.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Maybe if you go on a few northern boards and ask them and maybe leave us alone

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The point is they have but you simply ignore them as it doesn't suit your argument/line.

100 leading City names sign letter backing Brexit - http://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...ames-sign-letter-backing-brexit-a3236841.html

The Economists for Brexit is a group of eight independent, leading economists who are convinced of the strong economic case for leaving the EU. - http://www.economistsforbrexit.co.uk/

The eight economists in the independent group include respected figures such as Gerard Lyons, Boris Johnson’s economic adviser; Roger Bootle, founder of consultancy Capital Economics; and Ryan Bourne, head of public policy at the Institute of Economic Affairs, the free market think-tank. - FT (!)

A group of eight influential economists have thrown their support behind the Leave campaign in the UK's referendum on EU membership. - BBC

a group of brexiter economists who, er, had some dubious backgrounds - 5ways

Pretty thin gruel when you line it up against the treasury, the IMF, the OECD and LSE. These 8, eight, economists base their predictions on a model no one else would use. FT sums it up

"The problem with its Brexit analysis is not its overall forecast, though that is strange both for the leave and remain futures it forecasts. Rather, the problem is that the model results appear to be theoretically consistent with a world that does not exist in reality. Competition is perfect in the model.

With this key unrealistic assumption, the big modelled effect of the EU is that Britain only imports from EU countries because the common market artificially protects goods from world competition with a tariff barrier. Remove tariffs on imports and existing trade with the EU effectively dries up in the model.

By design, the model appears to assume the EU merely diverts British money to buying from the EU and creates no trade at all. It implicitly assumes people buy BMWs only because the EU protects the car market with a tariff barrier rather than that they want a BMW, for example.

In contrast, all other economic models accept the world is more complicated. The Treasury’s detailed modelling of whether the EU creates trade or diverts trade did not assume the answer at the beginning, but used data to find that EU membership brought a large and statistically significant increase in trade without diverting trade from other areas."

It is a model that is not rooted in reality, which the other studies have tried to show more accurately.

Also I'm pleased these city grandees think it will turn out alright. 110 is a fair catch, although there are thousands of these people who declined to sign. I'm more interested that in the article you quote "A number of leading City figures, including current HSBC bosses Douglas Flint and Stuart Gulliver, and Stock Exchange chief Xavier Rolet, signed a pro-Remain letter to The Times in February."

It's alright if you've already feathered the nest, if you're actually leading these businesses into the storm you are against brexit.

Gull

Banned
May 3, 2016
Lol....I really find that hard to believe to be honest as the north is lacking jobs and more people will not help.

I think it would, because obviously there are many soft benefits to an influx on new cultures. Lets face it those brutes down there need culture exposure too.

Besides, we could basically help millions of people and not have to deal with the potential problems that would arise if the vast majority coming in were located in the North. It would help London based businesses too because the incoming people would work cheaper and on more flexible contracts and that money would obviously flow south.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Pretty thin gruel when you line it up against the treasury, the IMF, the OECD and LSE. These 8, eight, economists base their predictions on a model no one else would use. FT sums it up

"The problem with its Brexit analysis is not its overall forecast, though that is strange both for the leave and remain futures it forecasts. Rather, the problem is that the model results appear to be theoretically consistent with a world that does not exist in reality. Competition is perfect in the model.

With this key unrealistic assumption, the big modelled effect of the EU is that Britain only imports from EU countries because the common market artificially protects goods from world competition with a tariff barrier. Remove tariffs on imports and existing trade with the EU effectively dries up in the model.

By design, the model appears to assume the EU merely diverts British money to buying from the EU and creates no trade at all. It implicitly assumes people buy BMWs only because the EU protects the car market with a tariff barrier rather than that they want a BMW, for example.

In contrast, all other economic models accept the world is more complicated. The Treasury’s detailed modelling of whether the EU creates trade or diverts trade did not assume the answer at the beginning, but used data to find that EU membership brought a large and statistically significant increase in trade without diverting trade from other areas."

It is a model that is not rooted in reality, which the other studies have tried to show more accurately.

Also I'm pleased these city grandees think it will turn out alright. 110 is a fair catch, although there are thousands of these people who declined to sign. I'm more interested that in the article you quote "A number of leading City figures, including current HSBC bosses Douglas Flint and Stuart Gulliver, and Stock Exchange chief Xavier Rolet, signed a pro-Remain letter to The Times in February."

It's alright if you've already feathered the nest, if you're actually leading these businesses into the storm you are against brexit.

As you at least acknowledge there is an alternative pro Brexit ITK view ... progress of a sort I suppose.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think it would, because obviously there are many soft benefits to an influx on new cultures. Lets face it those brutes down there need culture exposure too.

Besides, we could basically help millions of people and not have to deal with the potential problems that would arise if the vast majority coming in were located in the North. It would help London based businesses too because the incoming people would work cheaper and on more flexible contracts and that money would obviously flow south.

You really are a total knob. You just have no idea what you are talking about. What 'brutes down there'?. Why would millions of immigrants in the North not affect the South or anywhere else in the UK?. Any why would 'cheap labour' flow money to London wtf are you on? There are a lot of highly skilled and hard working people in the North that earn a respecable wage for doing a good days graft. You are just an arsewipe and if you got yourself out of Croydon, you might learn something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here