Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It certainly is something we are lumbered with when we have to get a Visa to visit places an hour away.

Or live and work around 26 European nations. At the moment moving and/or working in the EU is as simple as someone moving home or job from Brighton to London. I know Americans who live here and the lengths they have to go to for simple things we currently take for granted are ridiculous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ok go on.....explain the loopholes and process you think you will have to go through to take a day trip to Calais when we leave the EU

Maybe you can explain why a U.K. passport will be more useful than say an Irish one?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
cant wait for the day you get told the reality you cant have dual citizenship....

I'll will make sure you are top of my invites if I ever gain a second passport :smile: It will be a lavish affair I can assure you.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It will be once the UK is out of the EU. Care to tell me why it will be more useful, than say, an Irish passport? An Irish passport will grant you a lot more freedom than a U.K. one.

if there is 90 day visa free access it makes no difference if you are going on holiday or on a business trip
how is your dual citizenship progressing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if there is 90 day visa free access it makes no difference if you are going on holiday or on a business trip

And what about the point I raised in 1174?

how is your dual citizenship progressing?

It has been investigated. Under the current non-EU citizen rules I can't do anything for another 3 years. But, if I am at a sufficient level with my language I should tick most, if not all, of the boxes. I can then start the process. That said this is a last resort for me. If there is an easier way to living and moving within the EU, like the mooted EU citizen passport which someone recently proposed, I'll obviously take that. That said I have always wanted to spend some time in the US and also live in Japan. I will probably have changed my mind or got bored within 3 years and gone somewhere else. That said I very much play second fiddle to the wife these days; she's the success story so maybe I'll follow her somewhere different.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It certainly is something we are lumbered with when we have to get a Visa to visit places an hour away.

just how difficult do you expect it will be to obtain a visa for EU? maybe as difficult as for Switzerland, where there's no visa for EU, US or Canadians?

with Schengen in place there are no passport controls across Europe anyway, so you only need a passport to pass through controls at those outside that agreement, Ireland and UK. what free movement is actually about is the right to stay and work in countries, not going on a 2 week holiday to the Algarve, Black forest, or Tuscany. i dont know why this distinction is overlooked.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
just how difficult do you expect it will be to obtain a visa for EU? maybe as difficult as for Switzerland, where there's no visa for EU, US or Canadians?

with Schengen in place there are no passport controls across Europe anyway, so you only need a passport to pass through controls at those outside that agreement, Ireland and UK. what free movement is actually about is the right to stay and work in countries, not going on a 2 week holiday to the Algarve, Black forest, or Tuscany. i dont know why this distinction is overlooked.

Not quite the full picture as the freedoms include a lot more than just living and working.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You're not offending anyone by naming them and it would give credence to what you're saying.

Nah, its not necessary. A brexit voter living overseas has as much right to comment on the country as a remain voter. Thats why I dont buy into it. The whole...you dont live here,,, bullshit, is rolled out when somebody doesnt have the answer to a question usually.
Whether it gives credence or not.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Pretty sure it would have been mentioned already, but worth quoting again just to fully debunk the myth that German car manufacturers would be on our side in this negotiations.

'Yes, certainly we have influence' says Matthias Wissmann, president of the German Association of Automative Industry, but we are at least as interested in keeping the European Union together - in fact, that is our priority. Britons are deluded, he adds, if they are think German carmakers care only about selling 5 more cars than taking a longer term view.

its 810,000 cars exported to UK, about 1 in 5 cars produced in Germany. so we'll see shall we? prehaps the longer term view might be a mutually beneficial arrangment on free trade?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nah, its not necessary. A brexit voter living overseas has as much right to comment on the country as a remain voter. Thats why I dont buy into it. The whole...you dont live here,,, bullshit, is rolled out when somebody doesnt have the answer to a question usually.
Whether it gives credence or not.

I don't disagree with that at all. It's just that you don't need to LIE that it's actually happening when clearly it isn't.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its 810,000 cars exported to UK, about 1 in 5 cars produced in Germany. so we'll see shall we? prehaps the longer term view might be a mutually beneficial arrangment on free trade?

I'm pretty sure passporting rights will be the main stick/carrot for negotiations. This trumps everything as far as I can see. Couple this with the huge amount of financial services the U.K. sells to the EU cars are low down on the list.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I have friends and family and work and other interests in the UK. I'm also currently lumbered with an English passport . I therefore have a legitimate claim to have an interest in the UK. What's your excuse for your pant-pissed fetish with totally foreign lands?

It is not me that constantly posts on issues in another country. You however are constantly running down the country you do not live in.
You plainly get upset when your fatherland is mentioned. You chose to live in Germany, good luck to you, your constant pant filled obsession with the UK is creepy.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Not quite the full picture as the freedoms include a lot more than just living and working.

not sure what more there is? i suspect you are thinking the small stuff, the detail of living in EU. that all flows from the freedom of movement of labour and the basics are " right of EU citizens and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States". its in Directive 2004/38/EC, and its a shame more people, especially who run EU, don appear to have read it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I'm pretty sure passporting rights will be the main stick/carrot for negotiations. This trumps everything as far as I can see. Couple this with the huge amount of financial services the U.K. sells to the EU cars are low down on the list.
well that is the interesting one, i dont know the figures to compare. its complicated to assess because an awful lot of the financial services are done in the UK, not sold into other member nations. for example BNP and Deutsche have substantial operations based in London, because that's where the markets are for currencies, bonds and derivatives. i know theres more to financial services than just buying/selling, those other services are provided backed by our regulatory and legal system that many prefer, and you can still come to the UK to have your contracts drawn up, legal advise given, regardless of your nationality (cf Russians).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here