Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I haven't seen the Independent for a while. What's wrong with it, Brexit-wise? The Times seems pretty balanced to me and has good writers on both sides of the argument. The Telegraph is a dear old thing and I enjoy it in small doses, rabid Brexiteering and all. It gives me a clue as to what my Outer friends might be thinking. I'm afraid we won't have the Mail or Express or Sun in the house. They are mendacious, xenophobic and biased propaganda tools.
I think the independent is the remain equivalent of the express, mail etc. It feels like reading propaganda to me as well. My father in law reads the mail. I cannot even bear to pick the thing up.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So how many NSC leavers signed Councillor Holliday's petition before it was withdraw.
So strange things on Brexit but this must be the daftest - Making it treason if anyone supports the UK remaining in or joining in the future the EU.
Madness

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I'd think that one of the reasons for Remainers liking the Independent is that it has the sort of even-handed approach that allows it to publish articles from people with different opinions to their own. I like The Times for the same reason. (Gove's piece this week was beautifully put together. Disagreed with almost all of it but it made me pause and think.) I know the Brexiteers prefer the Mail, Express and Sun but I'm not sure you could call those papers open-handed.

So according to Gove, all the leavers voted the way they did for the same reasons that he wanted to.

And anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think the independent is the remain equivalent of the express, mail etc. It feels like reading propaganda to me as well. My father in law reads the mail. I cannot even bear to pick the thing up.

There's a big difference. The Indy writers are generally Remainers and write what they believe, but there's no editorial whip on what they should say. Whereas the Mail and Express have a strict editorial line and woe betide anyone who doesn't stick to it. What is truly surreal is that the Indy and Mail occupy the same premises. When I first went there to work for the Indy I was met by someone in tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So according to Gove, all the leavers voted the way they did for the same reasons that he wanted to.

And anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

As someone who worked at The Times when he was an associate editor, I can assure you that that will be his view. In his strange mind, he is always 100 percent correct about everything. The prospect of him winning the Tory leadership and becoming PM was as frightening in its way as Trump becoming US President.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
As someone who worked at The Times when he was an associate editor, I can assure you that that will be his view. In his strange mind, he is always 100 percent correct about everything. The prospect of him winning the Tory leadership and becoming PM was as frightening in its way as Trump becoming US President.
Interesting, and you would certainly know. As a fan of his prose, I always thought The Stabber came across as the most cerebral of the gang.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There's a big difference. The Indy writers are generally Remainers and write what they believe, but there's no editorial whip on what they should say. Whereas the Mail and Express have a strict editorial line and woe betide anyone who doesn't stick to it. What is truly surreal is that the Indy and Mail occupy the same premises. When I first went there to work for the Indy I was met by someone in tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt.
That is interesting. Thanks. I read what the Indy says but to be honest never read the mail etc. At least the Indy writers have conviction, but I honestly don't feel that what I have read has been balanced.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So how many NSC leavers signed Councillor Holliday's petition before it was withdraw.
So strange things on Brexit but this must be the daftest - Making it treason if anyone supports the UK remaining in or joining in the future the EU.
Madness
Don't know anything about it. Sounds ridiculous.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Madness

Probably some weird retort to all the desperate things coming from the other side. No idea who councillor Holliday is though

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If gove really believes that then he will surely admit that the bus was a waste of money as it made no difference!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Madness

it hasnt been withdrawn
its still going....and yes its utterly ridiculous

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/168882

signed :thumbsup:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If gove really believes that then he will surely admit that the bus was a waste of money as it made no difference!

careful chap
there are a couple of people left on here (possibly 3) that think the opposite and that the bus was a game changer.
you will incur their wrath

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Theres idiots on here who actually believe that when foreign fruit and veg pickers leave, they will be replaced by British workers earning £270 a week. Dont incur their wrath either

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Theres idiots on here who actually believe that when foreign fruit and veg pickers leave, they will be replaced by British workers earning £270 a week. Dont incur their wrath either
There are also idiots on here who think the EU economy is doing well and the Euro is a strong currency.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

There will be a stampede of British pickers next summer..... it's the only way many of us will be tasting a Strawberry when the price hikes kick in.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Glad you in particular responded. Would like to hear how this £270 a week will work. Please clarify. Maybe I misunderstood
Why glad me in particular? I really have no idea what you're talking about? Is it because I mentioned the cap is a bad thing?

Perhaps it's because I can't pick a figure out of the air from which to tell you how much I think farmers should pay labourers? I've already said I'm neither a farmer or economist but that everyone should have a fair wage be they a farmer, labourer or otherwise. I think that workers should enjoy higher wages than those on benefits and I would support a national living wage similar to the one proposed by labour and some Scandinavian countries recently that would be paid to everyone in a job or not. I don't understand why you require such a precise answer?

How much do you think farmers should pay strawberry pickers?

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Why glad me in particular? I really have no idea what you're talking about? Is it because I mentioned the cap is a bad thing?
Yes. Is this your 'idea' or realistic govt plan

'They should be paying a decent living wage. I am not an economist nor am I businessman, but I don't believe it is good business to underpay people. I would also change the benefit system so that everyone in the country receives a nationally agreed salary. That would save millions in benefits and help those living with wages closer to the lower limits of the minimum wage.'

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here