[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Half the population didn't vote for Cameron either. Almost two thirds of the population didn't vote for Thatcher. You're obviously missing the way elections and referenda work - the only votes that count are the ones that people have actually voted; if they could have voted, but didn't bother, then their 'votes' ARE completely irrelevant, by their own choice.

I meant almost half the people who did vote didn't vote to leave.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Not everyone will... this year's British Nobel prizewinner said this about Brexit this week: "It is a very stupid, narrow-minded decision and will have disastrous long-term effects on science in the UK... I feel strongly about Brexit and do not wish to be associated with a country which is so insular and narrow-minded." He added that even if he was working in the UK at the moment the decision would have had him job-hunting immediately. Referring to his passport he said that if the UK does not change its mind he will not renew it "and may even renounce my British citizenship".

One guesses that the "change of mind" he mentions would be covered by a decision to remain in the single market with the associated free movement.

I await a comment from one of NSC's Brexiteers than the Nobel prizewinner is clearly a traitorous idiot to whom we should say good riddance. Hey-ho.

When his present country has open borders and freedom of movement with Mexico, when foreign courts have primacy over US ones and when US laws are made in a foreign parliament I might listen to him.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
what you're saying is, you hold the opinion of one man who left the country and taken citizenship elsewhere in higher regard than the 17 million that live here. clearly he has strong views fomr his heritage, but his parents found a welcome here before the EU and would do so today. opposing EU rule and wanting to embrace trade with the whole world does not make us insular or narrow minded.
No, but everyone's view is important and he had some relevant things to say from his vantage point of being one of the finest brains in the country and is apparently supported by many of his peers. Numbers are important but they're not the only thing - you wouldn't bring back hanging just because lots of people wanted to.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You may feel that and that's okay of course. I am genuinely sorry that your worthy charity had been affected. However something had to give and the politicians had ignored giving the people their say for too long. One may well say the same about the referendum that took us into the common market. It was unnecessary.
I agree with the sentiment of ypur post, something had to give, something had to be done - but holding this referendum was possibly the worst thing - whichever way it turned out. As it is, many people are now suffering and I still don't see how anyone's life is going to be better now we've voted out.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes they probably do and here are the rules:-

you’re 18 or over
you’re of good character, for example, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
you’ll continue to live in the UK
you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
you meet the residency requirement

And you must usually have:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country - you need to provide a permanent residence document
not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

So you are suggesting that all EU workers apply to become UK citizens - get a grip man and try not to make such silly comments. The reason the NHS is under pressure is that we as nation spend less of a proportion of our GDP on health than other developed nations. We also have an ageing population and older people are much more likely to have health needs as they age!

So If the UK withdrawal occurs in 2019 then any EU citizen (who arrived in 2014 or before) still has the right to residency ? I'm guessing to revoke or refuse would be unlawful under the Geneva Convention.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I blame Brexit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with the sentiment of ypur post, something had to give, something had to be done - but holding this referendum was possibly the worst thing - whichever way it turned out. As it is, many people are now suffering and I still don't see how anyone's life is going to be better now we've voted out.

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk
Good post and yes possibly the referendum was the wrong thing. However it's still far too early to see how things will pan out. It's entirely possible that the EU may collapse or be reformed entirely. We shan't ever know.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37592866

The words hell and handcart spring to mind. This country will be screwed. What gets me is that half the population didn't vote for Brexit at all, yet their views are seemingly completely irrelevant. What a mess Cameron has left us in.

Sorry there fault for not voting then if they didn't. 48% voted to stay blame the non voters

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
So If the UK withdrawal occurs in 2019 then any EU citizen (who arrived in 2014 or before) still has the right to residency ? I'm guessing to revoke or refuse would be unlawful under the Geneva Convention.
I guess they can apply but by 2019 I suspect the economic indicators will be showing the true impact of Brexit. They will be voting with their feet taking their skills where there is a better future and will be more welcome!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What gets me is that half the population didn't vote for Brexit at all, yet their views are seemingly completely irrelevant.
That doesn't make sense. We're either in the EU, or we're not. Given that more than half the voters wanted out, what would your solution be?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
When his present country has open borders and freedom of movement with Mexico, when foreign courts have primacy over US ones and when US laws are made in a foreign parliament I might listen to him.

The worth of an individual's opinion is judged by their intellect, rationality, accumulated knowledge, sense of perspective, personal experience, powers of reasoning and the quality of their argument. Not the place on the earth where they were born.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The worth of an individual's opinion is judged by their intellect, rationality, accumulated knowledge, sense of perspective, personal experience, powers of reasoning and the quality of their argument. Not the place on the earth where they were born.
That is all highly subjective.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes, if the federalists from the European Council (and Commission) had listened to the British people's concerns over the EU and been more open to a bit of reform back in February then remain might just have sneaked a win. All they had to do was allow Cameron to go back with a couple of worthwhile concessions.

Blame the likes of Tusk and Juncker for being so arrogant.
You could also blame Cameron for thinking he could wing it with the piss poor concessions he did get.

Fair point though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Petrol going up by at least 3p a litre will soon hit prices in the shops etc. No longer will the Tories be able to say they are a party of economic competence
They won't but they will be able to blame it on following the 'democratic will of the people.'

It's the get out of jail free card from heaven. Especially, given the current PM was a remainer.

I fear what we are seeing is a permanent and irreversible decline in our living standards with 30 years of crap government being the cause and Brexit acting as the catalyst.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports