Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have all the events happened yet?
No, but I'm not sure why that matters. You are hoping that whatever events do unfold will colour her decisions - how are you hoping her decisions will change?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My colleague Micky has summarised the position as we find it very well...............as usual.

Quiz question for everyone - how many times does he say 'Now'?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Petrol going up by at least 3p a litre will soon hit prices in the shops etc. No longer will the Tories be able to say they are a party of economic competence

You're right but as the referendum was arranged for their political convenience the are also the party of Brexit, which I believe you supported. I'm not sure any Brexit supporter can complain about what is happening now. (Just out of interest I was talking to one of the Albion's better known left wing supporters a couple of weeks ago. He started out pro-leave - came on here to announce the fact - but eventually voted remain because of what he saw as a nasty and socially divisive campaign by the leave side.)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Theresa May committed at conference to three key issues

1: Article 50 by end of March 2017

2: The imposition of migration controls on EU citizens coming to the UK is non-negotiable. (But no detail on how tight these should be, William Hague urged this week, for example, a very loose arrangement in which a permit will be given to any EU national – skilled or unskilled - who has secured a job in Britain.

3: The UK will no longer be under the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice.

This last point is important because it means Britain cannot be a member of the single market and is therefore committed to forging a bespoke free trade agreement with the EU. So what is going to be the alternative?

Liam Fox, the disgraced former Defence Minsister who is now the International Trade Secretary, wants the UK to leave the European Custom's Union, believing it is only the way for Britain to forge trade deals with non-EU states. Philip Hammond, the chancellor, wants to stay, fearing the bureaucratic hurdles will impose a “frictional cost” for exporters as there will be increased form filling and bureacracy when exporting to the EU.

Either Fox or Hammond will come out as a winner, and the tone of the party conference was that Fox is in the box seat, so Hammond's days are numbered as he is so idealogically apart from the disgraced former Defence Minister that his position as Chancellor is surely untenable.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am NOT listening to it again just to count... but it was a lot.
Well the cheeky, although accurate answer, is zero. What I really meant though, was how many times did he try to say it?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hammond's days are numbered as he is so idealogically apart from the disgraced former Defence Minister that his position as Chancellor is surely untenable.

I was discussing this with a friend yesterday. I think that Hammond will resign within the next 12 months (and quite possibly in the next six)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah that does sound hilarious. :bowdown: :ffsparr:

What about the message for those of us who can't access the video?

The government has taken the pragmatic (effecitively the only) approach of adopting all existing EU legislation when withdrawal occurs.

The alternative of repealing 40 years worth of legislation in 2 years, whilst also negotiating exit terms, is too large a task.

Parliament can then either adopt, repeal or revise the legislation inherited from the EU.

Some of the legislation will be totally irrelevant (such as relating to the single market) and will be easier to deal with than other elements.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No, but I'm not sure why that matters. You are hoping that whatever events do unfold will colour her decisions - how are you hoping her decisions will change?

I'm not hoping events colour her decisions. I know they will. What her decisions will be, we wait to see.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You're right but as the referendum was arranged for their political convenience the are also the party of Brexit, which I believe you supported. I'm not sure any Brexit supporter can complain about what is happening now. (Just out of interest I was talking to one of the Albion's better known left wing supporters a couple of weeks ago. He started out pro-leave - came on here to announce the fact - but eventually voted remain because of what he saw as a nasty and socially divisive campaign by the leave side.)

It was "arranged" for us not them, after huge pressure from the public and after years of promises and backsliding on giving a referendum.
I dont see mass complaining by brexiters.
Leaving The EU,gaining back control of the courts,free and independent, ending free movement.
whats not to like?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm not hoping events colour her decisions. I know they will. What her decisions will be, we wait to see.

Oh font of all knowledge,please tell us the Lottery numbers for tonight ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here