[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We already have border controls as we are not part of Shengan.

You must believe then that the limited level of controls we currently have concerning EU citizens are adequate if not perfectly sufficient. If these controls are nothing to be concerned about i take it you would have no problem with the dropping of all current visa entry requirements for Non EU citizens and make them subject only to the same rules as EU citizens as well (not being wanted on an arrest warrant or flagged as a terrorist or identified as a genuine, present and sufficiently serious threat ) These would also be adequate rules I presume as a natural progression.
A global free movement so to speak. Anyone on the planet can come here to look for work or reside.
Shouldn’t everyone after all play by the same rules so to speak without discrimination or do you think there should be one set of rules for EU citizens and another for non EU citizens?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So there is now one person who is happy to pay higher pump prices when filling up their vehicle.

I have been paying higher and higher prices for petrol ever since I bought my first car in 1972, so no great difference now we've Brexited. Wonder what else we can blame on Brexit? The weather's not been too bad.................................

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Errrrr the EU system is free movement of labour not just free movement! The right to free movement applies where the legal relationship of employment is entered into in or shall take effect within the territory of the European Community. We already have border controls as we are not part of Shengan. I disagree that most people are for managed migration most people who voted for Brexit want it reduced. Even the leave campaign itself in an referendum broadcast suggested that after Brexit people would get seen much quicker in A&E. This clearly demonstrates that an aim of Brexit is to reduce migration as all the EU migrants were filling up A&E! (We all know this is poppycock as most EU workers who come here to work and are young and fit so less likely to need the services of A&E. Where as the strain on A&E services is largely because of an aging population!)

What planet are you from?A&E is usually full of people who need the translation services that cost the NHS a fortune,quite often accompanied by a police officer because they are young,drunken thugs.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have been paying higher and higher prices for petrol ever since I bought my first car in 1972, so no great difference now we've Brexited. Wonder what else we can blame on Brexit? The weather's not been too bad.................................

It's all pretty sad really. Could you imagine what it would have been like if the result went the other way. This country voted, Leave won, people need to get over it and get on with their life, but it appears some people can't. Negative, negative, negative, putting a constant downer on things, in the hope it might change the mindset of people.

Think I need to spend some time away from this site again and away from the crap and negative bullshit analysis written in the papers. It's the best way, otherwise it just does your head in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My god this is a ****ing boring thread. I dip in every so often and it's the same handful of people saying the same things.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My god this is a ****ing boring thread. I dip in every so often and it's the same handful of people saying the same things.

on the plus side most of those that were moaning that the result was unfair, should be redone or we wont be leaving anyway,seem to have turned and now accept the inevitability that we are leaving The EU, prob only one possibly two left now.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The fact of the matter is that more British People and British Nationals aged 16-64 are now in work since records began in 1971. The rate is 74.5% given this high rate there is probably not much slack in the system to continue to fill the posts being created as the economy grows. So exactly where is the argument that all these EU nationals are taking the Jobs of British People? It is patently a false hood and a clear twisting of the facts! From my perspective this shows the country is doing rather well as part of the EU. Perhaps in 10 or 20 years time when the full impact of Brexit is realised I hope the ratio between those in work and unemployed has'nt reversed!

EU citizens do apply to become UK citizens and circumnavigate the "they are NOT EU" when in fact they are.....how else does the population grow.....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
What planet are you from?A&E is usually full of people who need the translation services that cost the NHS a fortune,quite often accompanied by a police officer because they are young,drunken thugs.

I see your suggesting that all the EU workers are not able to speak english - might be difficult to hold down a job then! Therefore, I think I am from the planet reality and not the fictional loony twisted world you seem to inhabit!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Seems the public support the listing of foreign worker numbers at companies

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/10/06/public-backs-plans-make-companies-say-how-many-for/

Maybe its time to turn the UK clocks back to German 1930s time.

Or just possibly your interpretation of this is incorrect ? Again, it's standard practice for a lot of countries to monitor the workforce especially when issuing work passes. Personally I'm ambivalent about it but if a case can be made that it will be of use then I won't start screaming about the 1930s.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
EU citizens do apply to become UK citizens and circumnavigate the "they are NOT EU" when in fact they are.....how else does the population grow.....

Yes they probably do and here are the rules:-

you’re 18 or over
you’re of good character, for example, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
you’ll continue to live in the UK
you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
you meet the residency requirement

And you must usually have:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country - you need to provide a permanent residence document
not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

So you are suggesting that all EU workers apply to become UK citizens - get a grip man and try not to make such silly comments. The reason the NHS is under pressure is that we as nation spend less of a proportion of our GDP on health than other developed nations. We also have an ageing population and older people are much more likely to have health needs as they age!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes they probably do and here are the rules:-

you’re 18 or over
you’re of good character, for example, you don’t have a serious or recent criminal record, and you haven’t tried to deceive the Home Office or been involved in immigration offences in the last 10 years
you’ll continue to live in the UK
you’ve met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
you meet the residency requirement

And you must usually have:

lived in the UK for at least the 5 years before the date of your application
spent no more than 450 days outside the UK during those 5 years
spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
had settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK for the last 12 months if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
had permanent residence status for the last 12 months if you’re a citizen of an EEA country - you need to provide a permanent residence document
not broken any immigration laws while in the UK

So you are suggesting that all EU workers apply to become UK citizens - get a grip man and try not to make such silly comments. The reason the NHS is under pressure is that we as nation spend less of a proportion of our GDP on health than other developed nations. We also have an ageing population and older people are much more likely to have health needs as they age!

One side claims the problem is immigration and the other claims it is nothing to do with immigration but rather it
is something else like perhaps lack of spending. Perhaps the truth is a bit of both ?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

I did not mention all,however it may have been the impression that was the suggestion.....The population rises....57 Million people 15 years ago,64 Million people now ,70 Million in another 10 years and despite the rise in GDP the problem of an aging population will not go away,nor will the strain on the NHS...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I see your suggesting that all the EU workers are not able to speak english - might be difficult to hold down a job then! Therefore, I think I am from the planet reality and not the fictional loony twisted world you seem to inhabit!

I didn't mention EU workers,and there are plenty of people working here under the supervision of their own nationalities who have little or no English.I suppose they are underneath your loftinesses notice, in backward areas like Crawley.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
One side claims the problem is immigration and the other claims it is nothing to do with immigration but rather it
is something else like perhaps lack of spending. Perhaps the truth is a bit of both ?

You can believe what you want but the fact is that we spend less of our GDP on health than other developed countries and we have an ageing population with the over 65's taken up two fifths of the NHS budget and this is increasing. That's why the NHS is under pressure and is absolutely nothing to do with immigration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports