[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My mum reads the Daily Express and she voted Remain. I will pass on your comment to her as it will raise a chuckle.

I hope the backsliders are paying attention.
we have the perfect storm of an anarchist riot ready and in place should they try it. Your mums rolled up Daily Express,Rivets Grans knitting needle and my pitchfork which is somewhere in the shed,

anyone else tooled up and ready?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
we have the perfect storm of an anarchist riot ready and in place should they try it. Your mums rolled up Daily Express,Rivets Grans knitting needle and my pitchfork which is somewhere in the shed,

I have a batch of my wife's SCONES, which are harder than granite. One of them once took out one of my teeth, so I'm sure they could do serious damage if used for LUZZING purposes.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
David Davis has refused to guarantee the scheme.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/uk-students-may-be-excluded-from-erasmus-scheme_uk_579b18abe4b0f42daa4a0334

As for non-EU countries, Erasmus applies to the likes of Norway, Iceland, Turkey etc, and then there is Erasmus+ which applies to some ( but not all) courses and involves the likes of Albania, Syria, Russia, Israel etc.

They appear to be listed as 'partner countries' as Switzerland now is - https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/participating-countries

Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Territory of Ukraine as recognised by international law, Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, Territory of Russia as recognised by international law

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Programme

https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/higher-education-funding

https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/participating-countries

I just has a cursory glance at these links. It seems Switzerland are now suspended from the programme following their immigration vote. Non EU participants are listed as:

Macedonia
Iceland
Norway
Liechtenstein
Turkey

Yes, I found this:
http://www.euronews.com/2014/02/26/eu-suspends-swiss-erasmus-participation-for-2014

I don't see the connection between unlimited immigration and participation in Erasmus other than the EU using
it's muscle to impose its will. It seems to be another example of the disconnect betweeen the elites and the people. I used to be fairly indifferent about the EU and in those days would have had no problem with Switzerland determining its own immigration policy AND being members of the Erasmus scheme. It would have been better if the EU had taken that kind of non confrontational approach as well.

It's certainly the desire of UK HE institutions to remain within Erasmus, the university sector is a great believer in exchange programs as it gives an opportunity to compare notes and ideas.

It would be foolish to withdraw from the scheme, the only reason for doing so would be to placate the editorial columns of the red tops who are focused on migration numbers.

We've spoken to senior government ministers and suggested that students are excluded from the migration numbers. The reply was "we can't do that, Dacre (Daily Mail editor) will crucify us for massaging the figures"

Isn't it distinctly possible that the UK could/would be excluded from Erasmus (as Switzerland) if we were to "stop" free of movement of EU citizens?

Disappointing feedback from HMG re Dacre et al but hardly surprising eh, political reality? We've been involved in some slightly bizzare rfi responses and discussions with both Fox and Davis's Departments over the summer; working directly for them (DD) was suggested at one stage (we didn't consider it a serious proposal).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

:) My mum is on the Remain side though !!
I know we are all getting used to dismissive comments from Remainers but the scale of
intellectual and social snobbery revealed may have been a shock to working class Remain voters. I think that every time these types of comment are made it chisels away at support for the pro EU side... so I reckon they should keep it
coming.....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
New 30 year USD / GBP low for sterling 1.277, foreign earnings footsie over 7k. Thankfully we are in a low inflation world at least for now

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus_Programme

https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/higher-education-funding

https://www.erasmusplus.org.uk/participating-countries

I just has a cursory glance at these links. It seems Switzerland are now suspended from the programme following their immigration vote. Non EU participants are listed as:

Macedonia
Iceland
Norway
Liechtenstein
Turkey

Yes i remember Switzerland being punished for their referendum vote on immigration and thrown out of Erasmus. They have however joined the erasmus+ programme as a partner country(like other non eu countries).They join the scheme and students have the same access to the same institutions .
Instead of being funded by the EU as a central fund distributed by member states Swiss have to fund the scheme themselves with taxpayers money not going into the EU general money pot.Guess what ...by managing the fund themselves they have increased the number of students who benefit from erasmus.
https://www.thelocal.ch/20160830/record-numbers-sign-up-for-swiss-erasmus-replacement

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The problem with many Brexiteers is that you don't look at the whole picture. UK students can study in many EU countries for very little (in some countries it's free). In doing so they will be significantly subsidised by local tax-payers. The whole point of the EU is that it's a club which aims to provide a better outcome for all. The problem is that on this side of the Channel we just don't seem to be able to cope with that. As a result, we come across as mean-spirited and even xenophobic. I'm fed up with this whole "Europe = Bad, Britain = Good" rhetoric that we keep being fed. We are gradually eroding the goodwill which much of the rest of the world had for us. It's thoroughly, thoroughly depressing.

Is absolutely correct.
Brexiteers do not see the big picture. At best they view students from the EU as scrounging students, at worst as some form of illegal immigrants sponging off our taxes.
And yes, due to this attitude the world views us as mean spirited little englanders. It will not stand us in good stead in negotiations. Not one bit.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
David Davis has refused to guarantee the scheme.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/uk-students-may-be-excluded-from-erasmus-scheme_uk_579b18abe4b0f42daa4a0334

As for non-EU countries, Erasmus applies to the likes of Norway, Iceland, Turkey etc, and then there is Erasmus+ which applies to some ( but not all) courses and involves the likes of Albania, Syria, Russia, Israel etc.

I read the article

“There is no immediate change to the rights of UK universities and their students and staff from EU countries... There is no change to those currently participating in, or about to start, Erasmus exchanges”
to guarantee
translating these words as a refusal to guarantee is a bit rich.......

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is absolutely correct.
Brexiteers do not see the big picture. At best they view students from the EU as scrounging students, at worst as some form of illegal immigrants sponging off our taxes.
And yes, due to this attitude the world views us as mean spirited little englanders. It will not stand us in good stead in negotiations. Not one bit.

What is your evidence for this interpretation of how we are seen in the world ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is absolutely correct.

I disagree totally. There are many in the Brexit camp who have put forward a passionate and measured argument in relation to democratic deficit and migration concerns.

Just because people have a different view doesn't mean you should sneer at them.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What is your evidence for this interpretation of how we are seen in the world ?

There is no evidence
he is a nasty little **** who is simply trolling with ridiculous statements to get attention.If some are to be believed and he is the reincarnation of a previous user,that previous user stated (no names mentioned) said he didnt even like football let alone the albion.....attention seeking weirdo would be relevant if they are one and the same

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
:) My mum is on the Remain side though !!
I know we are all getting used to dismissive comments from Remainers but the scale of
intellectual and social snobbery revealed may have been a shock to working class Remain voters. I think that every time these types of comment are made it chisels away at support for the pro EU side... so I reckon they should keep it
coming.....

This in spades
Im a tory voter.
but Its been quite a revelation throughout the whole debate how much the labour side simply hate the working class viewpoint on this issue.It was very sad to see this.

its not the complete disregard of views that has been surprising but the vile sneering as people must be idiots........how on earth do you trust MPs again that consider you as lowlifes ......

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Do I need evidence to back up an opinion?
if you dont want to look like a complete dickhead yes you do.not sure you are concerned on that front though
your opinion that there will be a second referendum in a few months makes you look like the worlds biggest cock, as you have no evidence to back up your opinion

am i still on ignore ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, you don't need evidence to back up an opinion. I just wondered.

It's just a hunch really, I get the impression the world view of us is at a low, nothing that cannot be built back up once Brexit is worked through, hopefully.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports