[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And this is also where the Remain campaign failed dismally. If the disenfranchised could have been made wise to the fact that they are better off in the EU. They have more rights in the EU, they have more funding in the EU, they have more chance of employment under the EU. Successive governments and the remain campaign have failed them continually.

I agree that the Remain campaign was poor but in fairness a fair proportion of the voters weren't in the business of listening to rational arguments.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was listening, and I definitely heard the EU is corrupt and unaccountable with super-state fantasies. I also heard BREXIT leaders say that a complete withdrawal of trade deal would be possible if necessary. So why are you sniffing around the back door of this corrupt bunch, why don't you just leave?

Wow! I've been away for a couple of weeks and I see the remoaners are still banging on with the same old nonsense and now they've added a new string to their bow; it seems the leavers don't want trade with the EU.:As far as I could see during and after the campaign the leavers have never wanted to stop trading with the EU In fact, one of the issues the leavers had was how the trading relationship in the EEC morphed into the federalisation of the EU via the insidious Maastricht and Lisbon treaties.
It's good to be back. I missed all the nonsense.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexiteers wanted out of EU and now want deals done with the EU through the back door. Pretty unbelievable really. So basically we will, essentially still be a pat of the EU but with zero clout, at the mercy of the EU and all the elements of it Brexiteers sited as their reason to leave but without any power to do anything about it.
We are a part of Europe whether we like it or not, Brexit just lessens our power in the continent we are a part of. Makes one wonder what the real motivations for Leave voters was because I can't believe they are all stupid enough not to realise this. Perhaps they thought it was a price worth paying for another agenda they had.

The fact is a larger proportion of the Brexiteers were not net contributors to the economy, they felt as they if they voted out they would be uneffected and had nothing little to lose. It was one of the eye for London and the establishment, a classic vote with your heart not your head.

A deal will be done there is too much at stake. But we will pay a price to more or less retain the status quo, few will get what they want and we'll have a huge loss in influence.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wow! I've been away for a couple of weeks and I see the remoaners are still banging on with the same old nonsense and now they've added a new string to their bow; it seems the leavers don't want trade with the EU.:As far as I could see during and after the campaign the leavers have never wanted to stop trading with the EU In fact, one of the issues the leavers had was how the trading relationship in the EEC morphed into the federalisation of the EU via the insidious Maastricht and Lisbon treaties.
It's good to be back. I missed all the nonsense.

Most of the idiots have now faced facts,but some are still here,making it up as they go along."The fact is...." seems to be their new catchphrase,but as per usual,not a shred of evidence to back it up.Come on chaps,the sad loon from Burgess Hill has gone back to playing with his toy planes,the strange one who doesn't know if he's a cream bun or a south european has gone back to complaining about 1901,just take the hint and do your homework before the holiday's over.:)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The fact is a larger proportion of the Brexiteers were not net contributors to the economy, they felt as they if they voted out they would be uneffected and had nothing little to lose.

I have read some complete and utter BS on this thread, but i think you have just won the prize for the biggest pile of cr@p possible in a post. You head must be so far up you own rear that you cannot see whats outside your own little head. Patethic post based on no facts at all whatsoever. For your info, I voted OUT and both myself and my wife are firmly in the 40% income tax bracket.You asked all 17.4 million people to get your "fact"???.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I have read some complete and utter BS on this thread, but i think you have just won the prize for the biggest pile of cr@p possible in a post. You head must be so far up you own rear that you cannot see whats outside your own little head. Patethic post based on no facts at all whatsoever. For your info, I voted OUT and both myself and my wife are firmly in the 40% income tax bracket.You asked all 17.4 million people to get your "fact"???.

Obviously he didn't say EVERY poster was not a net contributor to the economy, he said that a greater proportion of Leave voters (than Stay voters) were just that. Big difference.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Told by Davis for example. He's said that if the EU is daft enough not to give the UK access to the single market without allowing us curbs on immigration then the future will indeed be elsewhere and him and the Fox will trolley off and do deals with markets ten times bigger than the EU
So that's the opposite of what HT said. You're saying that Davis said the EU would do a trade deal, but HT says he was told we didn't want a trade deal with the EU, and now he's surprised we're trying to get one.

I suspect this is HT's attempt at humour, but it's painful to watch.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Great that you are paying tax and making a contribution, but you having a job does not disprove or prove anything he said in his comment. That you seem to think it does, will allow me to cling on to the idea that the average Leave voter is a bit thick though.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The fact is a larger proportion of the Brexiteers were not net contributors to the economy, they felt as they if they voted out they would be uneffected and had nothing little to lose. It was one of the eye for London and the establishment, a classic vote with your heart not your head.

A deal will be done there is too much at stake. But we will pay a price to more or less retain the status quo, few will get what they want and we'll have a huge loss in influence.
Here is a real fact for you; I have been back in the UK for my annual reunion with 7 of my closest friends from university (we graduated in 1980). The 8 of us consist of a recently retired accountant, a retired naval officer, a recently retired expat IT sales executive, an electrical engineering contractor, 2 teachers (one an expat), a boating equipment business owner (who exports globally) and a doctor. 6 of the 8 voted Leave, the expat teacher voted Remain and the expat sales executive didn't vote. So much for your "fact".

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Here is a real fact for you; I have been back in the UK for my annual reunion with 7 of my closest friends from university (we graduated in 1980). The 8 of us consist of a recently retired accountant, a retired naval officer, a recently retired expat IT sales executive, an electrical engineering contractor, 2 teachers (one an expat), a boating equipment business owner (who exports globally) and a doctor. 6 of the 8 voted Leave, the expat teacher voted Remain and the expat sales executive didn't vote. So much for your "fact".

But they are all thickos according to the remainers

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
allow me to cling on to the idea that the average Leave voter is a bit thick though.

You can cling on to whatever ideas you like but in my family too, we all work and we all voted leave except for one 18 yr old who wasn't sure and on the day, voted to remain. We include two graduates from Oxbridge and another family member who is a MENSA member, not thick by any stretch and all working and contributing to the economy.

And no, we are not bigots or racists either.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Great that you are paying tax and making a contribution, but you having a job does not disprove or prove anything he said in his comment. That you seem to think it does, will allow me to cling on to the idea that the average Leave voter is a bit thick though.
Not as thick as you though if you can't grasp that the B-right-on was responding to the person who claimed that most leave voters weren't net contributors , hence B-right-on mentioning that both him and his wife are in he 40% tax bracket, not just that he "had a job".

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You can cling on to whatever ideas you like but in my family too, we all work and we all voted leave except for one 18 yr old who wasn't sure and on the day, voted to remain. We include two graduates from Oxbridge and another family member who is a MENSA member, not thick by any stretch and all working and contributing to the economy.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

"cling on"...................

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Obviously he didn't say EVERY poster was not a net contributor to the economy, he said that a greater proportion of Leave voters (than Stay voters) were just that. Big difference.

And I never said he did. He stated "The fact is a LARGER proportion" - therefore to get this dubous "fact" you would need to ask enough people to get the required 8,700,001 people which would then make the proportion who are not net contibuters to the economy as per his stated FACT.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not as thick as you though if you can't grasp that the B-right-on was responding to the person who claimed that most leave voters weren't net contributors , hence B-right-on mentioning that both him and his wife are in he 40% tax bracket, not just that he "had a job".

Not all, Not most, infact i said a "greater proportion". There will be 40% dual income householders that voted out, though till today I'd never come across one...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Not all, Not most, infact i said a "greater proportion". There will be 40% dual income householders that voted out, though till today I'd never come across one...

"never come across one."........really, have you been stuck up a mountain in the middle of nowhere for months.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

But you are completely missing the point, which was that a greater proportion of Leave voters than Remain voters were not net tax contributors. I have not read one study which suggests that this is not correct. All you're doing is saying that the opposite is true as far as your closest friends are concerned. This may well be the case, just as it is the case that the most academically qualified friend I have, a recently retired head of a large central London comprehensive, voted Leave. This also proves nothing about the wider picture. The poster you are slagging off did NOT say that every leave voter is not a net tax contributor.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Yep, and every member of my extended family voted Remain INCLUDING the many who live in Lincolnshire. That doesn't prove anything either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports