Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What the hole they have been trying to plug since the banking crisis. Also they think there is another banking crisis is looming

Well the hole is just about to get bigger, at least Osborne was heading in the right direction to get rid of the deficit albeit slowly

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What the hole they have been trying to plug since the banking crisis. Also they think there is another banking crisis is looming

The defecit was on course to be gone 2018, not now though. We had gone four fifths of the way through austerity to getting to the point where we could start reducing instead of increasing the National Debt each year. Now we need to borrow more, will be paying higher interest rates and foreign money borrowed gives us less pounds than it did before. More good news for the grandkids, a nice inheritance, a mountain of debt, and more civil service pensions to pay as we scale up the size of public sector employment to cope with all the bureaucracy that the EU will no longer be handling on our behalf.
There is another banking crisis looming, it is called Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The defecit was on course to be gone 2018, not now though. We had gone four fifths of the way through austerity to getting to the point where we could start reducing instead of increasing the National Debt each year. Now we need to borrow more, will be paying higher interest rates and foreign money borrowed gives us less pounds than it did before. More good news for the grandkids, a nice inheritance, a mountain of debt, and more civil service pensions to pay as we scale up the size of public sector employment to cope with all the bureaucracy that the EU will no longer be handling on our behalf.

On again, spot on.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Wish we were looking forward to an increase in interest rates however today's news sources suggest otherwise .:(

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Wish we were looking forward to an increase in interest rates however today's news sources suggest otherwise .:(

As a country we will now have to pay higher interest rates on our borrowing as we are now seen as higher risk than we were pre referendum. Nothing to do with BoE base rates.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As a country we will now have to pay higher interest rates on our borrowing as we are now seen as higher risk than we were pre referendum. Nothing to do with BoE base rates.

despite the rating downgrade by the agencies, our borrowing rates have not risen and remain at historically low levels.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

The cost of borrowing for the UK government will be at higher interest rates than previously, as we are seen as a bigger credit risk now. It is nothing to do with general interest rates, it is to do with our ability to service the debt.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
despite the rating downgrade by the agencies, our borrowing rates have not risen and remain at historically low levels.

Ok, for clarity, we are not paying more today than we were pre referendum on new debt, but we are paying more than we would have been, had the result been different.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Ultra low interest rates are NOT good news (unless you happen to be a property speculator, perhaps). The consequences include massive penalties for savers, insurance premiums increasing, annuities costing a fortune (saving for your pension? Good luck - it just doesn't make sense at the moment!), falling currency (thereby importing inflation), and asset price bubbles [which logically must burst at some stage - and VERY painfully]. The government is effectively printing huge amounts of money - at a rate way beyond any other developed country.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The only thing that is saving us the virtually all of the western world is spending beyond its means, alright as long as you are happy lending to the UK gov at 2% with no risk. Would you?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Ultra low interest rates are NOT good news (unless you happen to be a property speculator, perhaps). The consequences include massive penalties for savers, insurance premiums increasing, annuities costing a fortune (saving for your pension? Good luck - it just doesn't make sense at the moment!), falling currency (thereby importing inflation), and asset price bubbles [which logically must burst at some stage - and VERY painfully]. The government is effectively printing huge amounts of money - at a rate way beyond any other developed country.

Again this hasn't changed since the bank crisis. Savers have had it rough for years it's not just suddenly happened

Still better off than Greece though😀
#Brexcuses

Seriously though, I have not been busier in 25 years than I am at this present time. I work in the high end house building sector . I am seeing increased interest from the rich French, German and Italian members of the finance industry who are moving over to Blighty as the opportunities to prosper long term are not in the EU.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still better off than Greece though😀
#Brexcuses

Seriously though, I have not been busier in 25 years than I am at this present time. I work in the high end house building sector . I am seeing increased interest from the rich French, German and Italian members of the finance industry who are moving over to Blighty as the opportunities to prosper long term are not in the EU.

Berlin is where the market money is heading...

http://www.dw.com/en/berlin-property-market-shifts-from-renters-to-buyers/a-19449663

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still better off than Greece though��
#Brexcuses

Interesting as everything I've read and heard about the high-end housing market, especially London, suggests the opposite. Can you elaborate?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting as everything I've read and heard about the high-end housing market, especially London, suggests the opposite. Can you elaborate?
I have a work booked in for the rest of this year for houses in Dormans Park, Reigate, Crowborough, Kingswood, Arundel, Queens Park area of Brighton, Caterham, Emsworth, Twickenham, Wimbledon and Sevenoaks.
All 2 million pound plus new homes or refurbs and about 70% of clients are in banking or insurance. Nobody seems to be worried or they are investing in bricks and mortar to replace savings income.

The quiet time for me was from May up to referendum day. The uncertainty was no good at all.

A client suggested to me that Berlin or Frankfurt would become the letterbox address for many banks but the head offices will still be in London. The Euro will die in its present form and may even be split into a Northern based single currency and a southern states currency.
German and French relations are now at the lowest it had ever been and will end with a split of some kind.

The Swiss banks are trying to form some sort of partnership with London, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I have a work booked in for the rest of this year for houses in Dormans Park, Reigate, Crowborough, Kingswood, Arundel, Queens Park area of Brighton, Caterham, Emsworth, Twickenham, Wimbledon and Sevenoaks.
All 2 million pound plus new homes or refurbs and about 70% of clients are in banking or insurance. Nobody seems to be worried or they are investing in bricks and mortar to replace savings income.

The quiet time for me was from May up to referendum day. The uncertainty was no good at all.

A client suggested to me that Berlin or Frankfurt would become the letterbox address for many banks but the head offices will still be in London. The Euro will die in its present form and may even be split into a Northern based single currency and a southern states currency.
German and French relations are now at the lowest it had ever been and will end with a split of some kind.

The Swiss banks are trying to form some sort of partnership with London, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Tommy Clarke's are on e of the biggest electrical contracting firms, rarely venture out of London, their books are full until xmas after this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here