Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Uncertainty is the worst thing, no one knows for certain if we will push the button, if we do, how good or bad the deal we will get, if we don't, what damage will have been done in the mean time, what our relationship will be with Canada, America, India, China etc.
If we are going to do it we need to do it as soon as possible, trouble is, we want a hint at what the deal might be if we do it, E.U. says push the button and find out.

Whatever we do now, our respect from within the E.U., which was not great any way, is in the gutter. Italy bailing out their banks due to the crash our referendum has caused in Europe.
Italian banks were always on a knife-edge. The Italian government has been saying it may have to prop up the banks for about 2 years. Our Brexit has done no more than bring that forward. South Korea is doing something similar with its finance sector.

There are a few businesses and country's using us as the excuse at the moment to shift blame.

The Greece melt down around September will no doubt be our fault as well, and nothing to do with the Mafia cartel EU and their desire to submit them into behaving.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It would appear that the illegal behaviour regarding the online new ref demand has totally discredited it. Pm says no option other than to do what the democratic request is, leave. Any remoaners blood getting too hot yet?

No it hasnt....
Its also a petition created by a brexit supporter. Keep spinning.

Personally, im ready to be led onto the sunlit slopes of the Brexit world. Despite the fact the country is now in deep shit, and there are no plans in place for Brexit, and racists/xenophobes now think its ok to be racist and xenophobic. Thank you all.

Last edited:

BBC tonight has done it's biased best, bless 'em! Gollum, otherwise known as davies who is so bad. He wants an answer that will take time to answer, and he knows it, yet is still trying to make political points out of it. Gollum is the right name for him!
I think the BBC have been an absolute disgrace over this. They are now pushing a very dangerous narrative in trying to prove that we should stay.

They should be kicked into that free market they suddenly appear to like so much.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
But George has said how robust the British economy is today... and its not got better ? This is difficult to grasp, if someone says something will be " Bad " it will be bad but if the same person says it will be " Fine " it does not work.... in fact several people have said it will all be " Fine ", even people who know less about the economy but it still isn't... its still getting worse ? and what happens when costs go up because our currency is being devalued against most other currencies ?

So, what happens when the shit really hits the fan ? will things magically become " Fine " again ?

Slightly confusing post but I'm baffled as to why DC and GO saying Britain will survive Brexit somehow negates their warnings pre-Brexit.

Whatever their faults, I'm certain they don't want to add fuel to the fire by saying we're all doomed. They're still in Government and they still have a duty to make the best of the situation in any event.

Anyone with half a brain should understand that the results of Brexit won't be apparent for years and drawing any conclusions on the basis of a couple of days of adverse reactions by the market is, bluntly, stupid.

The markets always hate uncertainty so it was inevitable that they would react badly to the result particularly as they clearly expected a vote for Remain.

Given my advanced age I'd be much happier with the status quo so I'm still a bit baffled by my generation's rather radical stance but so be it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly confusing post but I'm baffled as to why DC and GO saying Britain will survive Brexit somehow negates their warnings pre-Brexit.

Whatever their faults, I'm certain they don't want to add fuel to the fire by saying we're all doomed. They're still in Government and they still have a duty to make the best of the situation in any event.

Anyone with half a brain should understand that the results of Brexit won't be apparent for years and drawing any conclusions on the basis of a couple of days of adverse reactions by the market is, bluntly, stupid.

The markets always hate uncertainty so it was inevitable that they would react badly to the result particularly as they clearly expected a vote for Remain.

Given my advanced age I'd be much happier with the status quo so I'm still a bit baffled by my generation's rather radical stance but so be it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Markets gambled on a remain vote and they lost.

If I had bet my house on an England win on Saturday and was already gambling the expected winnings on Sunday. I would have been up shit Creek by Monday night when the result came in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But George has said how robust the British economy is today... and its not got better ? This is difficult to grasp, if someone says something will be " Bad " it will be bad but if the same person says it will be " Fine " it does not work.... in fact several people have said it will all be " Fine ", even people who know less about the economy but it still isn't... its still getting worse ? and what happens when costs go up because our currency is being devalued against most other currencies ?

if someone has been saying "its going to bad" suddenly says "no, it'll be fine" firstly they have a credibility gap and secondly the sentiment has already built up. if they continue with the new message it will have the desired effect, assuming the crediblity is restored. further, you have to arrest the decline and stablaise before things return to old levels. you cant just say a few nice things and have a 10% decline reverse. and we have seemed to stablised the markets, one swallow and all that but FTSE 100 and 250 up, $ and EUR steady.

the costs from weaker $ will go up, that damage is done now, partially from the result partialy from the talking up the reaction to the result. all last week and the week before gilt yeilds were going lower, so despite the fear of impact on on the £ due to supposed lack of investmant and money coming in to the UK, money was going into UK debt. things wont be magically fine again for a while, there needs to be some leadership now to reverse the direction, but the full bore doom and gloom should be turned off. nothing will change with trade for the foreseable the weak £ will attract some money in to cheaper assets and invesments, hopefully restoring the price over the coming month. we are still in a better place than most european countries with double digit unemployment and zero growth.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
FTSE250 was 12000 in 2008, 6000 in 2009 and has climbed steadily since then. Now stands at 15,500, which again is in line with value in February 2016. #dontpanic

After falls yesterday to 14,967, the FTSE250 is CLIMBING this morning... up 490 to 15,457 #dontpanic

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
if someone has been saying "its going to bad" suddenly says "no, it'll be fine" firstly they have a credibility gap and secondly the sentiment has already built up. if they continue with the new message it will have the desired effect, assuming the crediblity is restored. further, you have to arrest the decline and stablaise before things return to old levels. you cant just say a few nice things and have a 10% decline reverse. and we have seemed to stablised the markets, one swallow and all that but FTSE 100 and 250 up, $ and EUR steady.

the costs from weaker $ will go up, that damage is done now, partially from the result partialy from the talking up the reaction to the result. all last week and the week before gilt yeilds were going lower, so despite the fear of impact on on the £ due to supposed lack of investmant and money coming in to the UK, money was going into UK debt. things wont be magically fine again for a while, there needs to be some leadership now to reverse the direction, but the full bore doom and gloom should be turned off. nothing will change with trade for the foreseable the weak £ will attract some money in to cheaper assets and invesments, hopefully restoring the price over the coming month. we are still in a better place than most european countries with double digit unemployment and zero growth.

What will calm markets is the emergence of a plan. That will happen in earnest after the next Tory leader is chosen. But the inkling of a plan is just about emerging, and that is that we will still have a very close relationship with the EU, with access to the free market and a bit of a fudge on free movement. This could be wishful thinking on my part (as a Remainer), but I've always believed that the only outcome of this whole thing would be a slight change in our relationship. Even if the result was the other way round, with a small majority for Remain, things would need to change.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
After a battering yesterday, the £ is also CLIMBING against the $.... up 1% to 1.3347 #dontpanic

Think the market has slept on it and is thinking even if Brexit occurs it can't be on the pipe dream wishes of the 52%.

Best case, its put again to the public via Election or Ref 2 to sort things out. Worst case, we do exit, lose our influence but hang onto the free market with no gain at all

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What will calm markets is the emergence of a plan.

absolutly, the markets are like little children and need a grown up to tell them everything will be ok and this is what we'll do today, otherwise run wild. i beleive a large proportion of the reaction was due to the lack of response from the leavers. we suddenly realised they dont actually have a leader, they have a couple of figureheads, but no real single person who can take charge and direct others strategically. Boris is not that person, imo Gove should have stepped up a bit but i think he want to avoid being seen to contending for leadership. people dont like him but he is a decisive person, you dont necessariy need a great plan, you need some plan and people to be confident you will stick with it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
cracking on with my freedom celebrations
Into day 4 or 5 now,not really sure.

a beautiful new world,free from Brussels is on the horizon.
we voted to leave the EU.....some people need to accept the reality of this and move on.Its very unbecoming and very un-British to mess with the democratic will of the people.

Oh it's very British to do this - it's not that long ago we spent six years blasting a democratically elected leader out of the water and when it was finally done the whole world cheered. It depends on the circumstances. I wouldn't have blamed Nigel if the referendum had gone the other way and he'd carried on fighting. It is what he said he'd do and it's I would have expected. The French resistance didn't say "Oh all right. Fair's fair. We give up." when the tanks rolled into Paris. I could equally say to you "Ooooh, it's so unBritish to muck around with the sovereignty of Parliament" and the difference is that would be absolutely true.

It's not at all likely that Remainers will be able to turn this thing round but I think it's right that every effort is made. You and me will agree that there's a huge amount at stake here and the way that puce-faced Brexiters are standing on chairs shouting "Spoily Sports! " "Bad Losers!" reflects badly on them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Now that Murdoch has freed himself from EU influence, he'll drop the immigration scares and run scares aimed at getting us ( him ) the best economic deal.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

The EU will not give us an inch, I would be surprised if they move on anything. The trouble with these people in that parliament is that they are overpaid and a vast majority are out of touch of normal people feelings in Europe because they have to drive project Europe.

The EU will never reform. The European Union has gone wrong and nobody will admit it, and nobody will change it because of the people at the top. We are better off OUT of it completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here