Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It appears that the financial backers of Brexit seem to think there's still money to be made by crashing the British Economy further

Fury among the Tories after Conservative MPs claim they were offered a '£400,000 bribe'​

The Tory Party is considering a complaint to Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle after MPs said they had been approached with a £400,000-plus ‘bribe’ to join Nigel Farage’s Reform UK party. Sources said a number of Conservative MPs ‘have reported to senior party staff that they have been offered significant financial incentives to defect’.

They say the offers were based on an agreement that if they joined Reform UK – founded with support from Mr Farage in 2018 as the Brexit Party – they would be guaranteed to receive several years of their MP’s salary if they lost their seat after defecting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ervative-MPs-claim-offered-400-000-bribe.html

It's ironic that whilst there is so much discussion around Scams and Frauds on all types of media, such a large one could have been enacted on so many. But all you can do is highlight it, if people are really determined to be scammed you can't stop it :shrug:
One obvious question to be asked, is where did the bribe money come from?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's a lot of water that needs to flow under the Brexit bridge first.

The article says:

'Labour, which has said it will not take the UK back into the EU, the single market or customs union, has, however, already committed to using the 2025 review of the TCA to try to build trade and other links with the EU.'

But at least the water is beginning to flow. It has taken a long time to get to this.
Break off easy and frictionless trade with the world’s biggest trading block, and now look to rebuild trade with the world’s biggest trading block. Genius.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
i doubt it will happen under Starmer. What I think he will do, as indeed Sunak is actively attempting and failing to do now, is improve our connection and relationship with the EU.

Then we will likely rejoin the single market, then I’d say within 5-10 years, we’ll be back in the EU. And I wouldn’t expect a referendum on the matter this time. No party is going to risk putting this into the hands of the voter ever again.

Either way, the tide is turning back towards the EU and it’ll gather momentum the worse life gets in the U.K.

People wont accept the Euro, joining the Schengen and the loss of all opt outs.

It is a pipe dream to think a political party will have us rejoin.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I assume you do realise that being in Schengen and adopting the Euro are not pre-requisites to being in a Customs Union or the EU and there are countries in both without these ?

And obviously we wouldn't have all the opt outs or be such a major power in Europe and world politics again. That took 40 years of hard negotiating from political parties of every colour to get the brilliant deal we had, and there will be a price to pay for our idiocy. Talking of pipe dreams, found any benefits yet :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

When people see countries that used to send us cheap labour catch us up economically people may think differently. As for Schengen, this could only happen with the Irish on board.

For now if we are serious about stopping the rot we need to concentrate on rejoining the CU, fringe trade deals with poor countries far away won't put food on the table.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling

Indeed, all new members are required to join the Euro and Schengen at some point, unless they can negotiate opt outs .... good luck getting all current EU member states and the European Parliament to agree to that, let alone getting the rebates back!

Basically, everyone on this thread will be six foot under or ashes in the wind before there's even the slightest chance of seeing the EU flag back on the passports ....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Indeed, all new members are required to join the Euro and Schengen at some point, unless they can negotiate opt outs .... good luck getting all current EU member states and the European Parliament to agree to that, let alone getting the rebates back!

Basically, everyone on this thread will be six foot under or ashes in the wind before there's even the slightest chance of seeing the EU flag back on the passports ....
:facepalm:

Well if you believe we are not heading inexorably back into a Customs Union or EU, presumably you have already come up with a solution to the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol that you and the rest of your Unionist friends campaigned so hard and long for and now don't want :lolol:

Want to give us a clue as to what it is ???

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
:facepalm:

Well if you believe we are not heading inexorably back into a Customs Union or EU, presumably you have already come up with a solution to the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol that you and the rest of your Unionist friends campaigned so hard and long for and now don't want :lolol:

Want to give us a clue as to what it is ???
If only JC Football Genius hadn't got banned I think we'd have the solution by now

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

you don't understand the words you type

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Starting with the positives ... good to see at least one of the more radicalised contributors on this thread (Well done Mr zero!) finally acknowledging that halting the endless supply of cheap EU Labour has at least some Brexit-related benefits ... a point I have made previously. :thumbsup:

Another positive .. although the BritishVolt story had nothing to do with Brexit I'm sure we are all pleased with this news ..

Plans for an electric battery gigafactory in the UK have been revived after an Australian business struck a deal to buy collapsed Britishvolt.

Recharge Industries, which has operations in Geelong and New York, has been chosen as the preferred bidder for the company and plans to revive its goal of building a battery factory in the North East.

Finally, on a more negative note, it's disappointing but unsurprising to see a Labour-supporting 'academic' make inaccurate claims about migrant boat crossings.

The migrant boat crossings 'began to skyrocket' while we were still subject to the Dublin convention and the chances of migrants being returned when we were in the EU were vanishingly small anyway, so the idea this was acting as any significant deterrent for desperate people or criminal gangs is laughable. Whereas improved security at the channel tunnel/increased lorry checks combined with French and UK Gov incompetence as the gangs changed their tactics seem a more likely cause.

Back in the real world there is literally no Brexit benefit that has come from ending the supply of labour from the EU. As a business owner myself in the care industry we are really suffering and so is the whole sector, there just aren't enough people to fill the vacancies. The fact is we needed immigration, its a matter of demographics and an ageing population. The solution now seems to be issuing visa's to people outside of the EU...50% of job applications that we are receiving for Care Worker vacancies are from places like India and the Philippines.

In the meantime there is no capacity at all, which is causing massive problems within the care sector and more widely in the NHS. Margins are very tight and any money for wage increases must in the end come from government and increases in taxes as the local authorities are biggest procurers of care services and don't pay enough as it is.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Back in the real world there is literally no Brexit benefit that has come from ending the supply of labour from the EU. As a business owner myself in the care industry we are really suffering and so is the whole sector, there just aren't enough people to fill the vacancies. The fact is we needed immigration, its a matter of demographics and an ageing population. The solution now seems to be issuing visa's to people outside of the EU...50% of job applications that we are receiving for Care Worker vacancies are from places like India and the Philippines.

In the meantime there is no capacity at all, which is causing massive problems within the care sector and more widely in the NHS. Margins are very tight and any money for wage increases must in the end come from government and increases in taxes as the local authorities are biggest procurers of care services and don't pay enough as it is.
Totally agree. So much for British jobs for British people. The British just don't want to work in certain sectors such as care.

We used a company up until 4 years ago for my father but they went out of business when Brexit occured and even with the new one we currently use they are desperate for staff - pay £17 an hour and travel, but still can't get any Brits to do the work. Yes. £17 an hour may be crap to you or me, but it is still way beyond minimum wage. It's the same in hospitality - nearly every hotel or pub I go to are struggling to recruit staff. Certainly one of the biggest own goals in my 65 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The solution now seems to be issuing visa's to people outside of the EU...50% of job applications that we are receiving for Care Worker vacancies are from places like India and the Philippines.
All those Breixteers who thought they’d be getting rid of foreigners now have a load of Indians turning up. Gotta laugh haven't you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Totally agree. So much for British jobs for British people. The British just don't want to work in certain sectors such as care.

We used a company up until 4 years ago for my father but they went out of business when Brexit occured and even with the new one we currently use they are desperate for staff - pay £17 an hour and travel, but still can't get any Brits to do the work. Yes. £17 an hour may be crap to you or me, but it is still way beyond minimum wage. It's the same in hospitality - nearly every hotel or pub I go to are struggling to recruit staff. Certainly one of the biggest own goals in my 65 years.
The other thing which seems to have bypassed many is that you actually need a healthy supply of workers and competition for jobs; it isn’t a case of if there’s 100 jobs then invite/train 100 people as they might not all be good.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The Brexit Rats are looking for another ship. I wonder how long it will take the pro-leave ultras on here to catch up. Johnson et al took a wrecking ball to the cohesion of the people in this country (some on here actually celebrated that event) - and I doubt if it can be all be reversed in the short term, and maybe even medium term.

In my lifetime, I will settle for the fact we are already moving in the right direction, back to closer ties with the EU.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Last year, I had a relative stuck in hospital bed blocking for a whole month because we couldn’t get a social care package in place. The result huge cost to the NHS and someone down the bottom of the chain struggling to get an ambulance and a lot of family stress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here