[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Definitely no confusion here, although I'm not sure the same could be said of him :wink:

‘I was lied to by Boris Johnson’: Why much of UK fishing is still waiting for a Brexit boost​

It was 23 August 2019, and the MP, less than a month into his spell as prime minister, was on an unannounced visit to the south Devon fishing town of Brixham. “Me and my son Joshua chatted to Boris for about ten minutes,” he recalls. “He promised us that we would need to expand our premises, employ more staff. “He told us that when the Brexit rules came in January 2021, we would be so busy that we would take the fish off the French and they would be desperate to buy it from us. He said we could look forward to a very, very prosperous future.”

Roll forward three-and-a-half years and Mr Perkes’ revenue is 30 per cent down. He had run his business profitably for 45 years before the post-Brexit fishing rules came into force in January 2021. Now he is having to contemplate giving up entirely on exports – which accounted for 85 per cent of his pre-Brexit sales – and axing up to a dozen of his 15 staff.

https://inews.co.uk/news/was-lied-b...uk-fishing-still-waiting-brexit-boost-2096883

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at the fact 'Johnson lied' is a headline. WTF did he really expect :facepalm:
I remember that visit, I was around Brixham that day

It was like God had arrived

People were literally falling over themselves to get a glimpse or a selfie. Johnson was whisked into the Fish Market site at speed and glad handed anyone and everyone.
It was utterly sickening.

I remember posting on a local FB site that the slime in the harbour after he left would take weeks to clear.
Took a lot of abuse of course.

Haven't been back to Brixham since.

Can't help feeling a bit (told you so) smug now, but it's gonna impact on my (and all of our) kids and Grandkids lives for decades to come. 😨

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I remember that visit, I was around Brixham that day

It was like God had arrived

People were literally falling over themselves to get a glimpse or a selfie. Johnson was whisked into the Fish Market site at speed and glad handed anyone and everyone.
It was utterly sickening.

I remember posting on a local FB site that the slime in the harbour after he left would take weeks to clear.
Took a lot of abuse of course.

Haven't been back to Brixham since.

Can't help feeling a bit (told you so) smug now, but it's gonna impact on my (and all of our) kids and Grandkids lives for decades to come. 😨
But people don't see through these liars and charlatans, remember when Farage did he's fishing stunt. The guy who was a member of the influential European parliament fisheries committee, yet in 3 years, out of 42 meetings he attended only one.

I can't do the schadenfreude thing, it is tragic how these souls were used and abused

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But people don't see through these liars and charlatans, remember when Farage did he's fishing stunt. The guy who was a member of the influential European parliament fisheries committee, yet in 3 years, out of 42 meetings he attended only one.

I can't do the schadenfreude thing, it is tragic how these souls were used and abused
But it was so blatantly obvious.

I'm afraid that's where we differ, I'll save my sympathy for those who have been totally and completely screwed over through no fault of their own :down:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
But it was so blatantly obvious.

I'm afraid that's where we differ, I'll save my sympathy for those who have been totally and completely screwed over through no fault of their own :down:
I think similarly. I've got a mate who voted for Brexit. It's had retirement-delaying impact on his income and quality of life: his wife works for a company that relies on European manufacturing and imports, he works for a company that has lost a major part of it's market and hasn't yet recovered it and won't within his working life. But he still insists it was the right thing to do and any consequences of it are the fault of the EU. It's a weird paradoxical mindset whereby all the negative consequences of Brexit are taken as further justification for why it was necessary. Makes me wonder what it'd take for him to re-evaluate the choice.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Definitely no confusion here, although I'm not sure the same could be said of him :wink:

‘I was lied to by Boris Johnson’: Why much of UK fishing is still waiting for a Brexit boost​

It was 23 August 2019, and the MP, less than a month into his spell as prime minister, was on an unannounced visit to the south Devon fishing town of Brixham. “Me and my son Joshua chatted to Boris for about ten minutes,” he recalls. “He promised us that we would need to expand our premises, employ more staff. “He told us that when the Brexit rules came in January 2021, we would be so busy that we would take the fish off the French and they would be desperate to buy it from us. He said we could look forward to a very, very prosperous future.”

Roll forward three-and-a-half years and Mr Perkes’ revenue is 30 per cent down. He had run his business profitably for 45 years before the post-Brexit fishing rules came into force in January 2021. Now he is having to contemplate giving up entirely on exports – which accounted for 85 per cent of his pre-Brexit sales – and axing up to a dozen of his 15 staff.

https://inews.co.uk/news/was-lied-b...uk-fishing-still-waiting-brexit-boost-2096883

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at the fact 'Johnson lied' is a headline. WTF did he really expect :facepalm:

Are these published for us to try and make us feel sorry for these people?

I feel the complete opposite, I hope the business suffers

Not very nice, I know -but I'm beyond caring about these idiots.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Are these published for us to try and make us feel sorry for these people?

I feel the complete opposite, I hope the business suffers

Not very nice, I know -but I'm beyond caring about these idiots.
I actually think they need to try and develop a domestic market for all the fish they used to sell to Europe. We have some outstanding produce but we don't eat it ourselves.

We need to look beyond farmed salmon, cod and haddock. Bizarre for an island nation

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I feel sorry for them in one sense as their livelihoods have been ruined. But equally there’s a certain level of stupidity in that they were used and taken for mugs. And their sycophantic behavior when Boris was in town was just weird.

We are all ultimately accountable for our individual actions so in this sense they fully got what they deserve. Maybe they can reflect on this?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

You have to remember that to Fararge it was just a business.

Farage got elected on a mandate of changing the " corrupt, Big Brother " EU but once elected did little if anything to elicit change, he was happy to trouser every MEP benefit without doing the work. He is incredibly tiresome in that news media still give him a platform for his ridiculous opinions given his previous failures...but he's made a packet out of Racisim and bigotry.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I’ve just returned from the north having attended an in-laws funeral. I had to bite my tongue when my sister in law said how well Boris had done, getting Brexit done and through covid. She doesn’t read newspapers so I couldn’t even blame them.
My other half was horrified to hear his sister’s views. It’s a good job we moved away.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’ve just returned from the north having attended an in-laws funeral. I had to bite my tongue when my sister in law said how well Boris had done, getting Brexit done and through covid. She doesn’t read newspapers so I couldn’t even blame them.
My other half was horrified to hear his sister’s views. It’s a good job we moved away.
Good for you for biting your tongue, we all have views but at a funeral, honestly....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I actually think they need to try and develop a domestic market for all the fish they used to sell to Europe. We have some outstanding produce but we don't eat it ourselves.

We need to look beyond farmed salmon, cod and haddock. Bizarre for an island nation
What happened was that Johnny Foreigner was willing to pay a lot more cash than us for our Turbot, Monkfish and shellfish...that market has sadly gone now, that's why the fishermen are moaning.. look up Turbot prices btw !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good for you for biting your tongue, we all have views but at a funeral, honestly....
To be fair, it was in our car on the way to the crematorium and we had just stayed overnight at her house.
I felt discretion was definitely the order of the day.
It goes to show how duped the northern areas were.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I totally agree. But the idea of northerners switching to scallops and langoustines followed by pan-fried turbot and monkfish isn’t happening in my life time. In fact, I’d spend the energy educating them in other areas first.

Turbot is a lovely fish. Shame it’s at top dollar yet British fishermen can’t sell it easily as before.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I feel sorry for them in one sense as their livelihoods have been ruined. But equally there’s a certain level of stupidity in that they were used and taken for mugs. And their sycophantic behavior when Boris was in town was just weird.

We are all ultimately accountable for our individual actions so in this sense they fully got what they deserve. Maybe they can reflect on this?
You're being very generous there. It was obvious to anyone with a brain cell that Brexit would be a disaster, especially for their industry.

I look at the lies that were presented, the corruption that has taken place during and since and it makes me want to emigrate. I can't believe I live shoulder to shoulder with these people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're being very generous there. It was obvious to anyone with a brain cell that Brexit would be a disaster, especially for their industry.

I look at the lies that were presented, the corruption that has taken place during and since and it makes me want to emigrate. I can't believe I live shoulder to shoulder with these people.
Fair comment.

It’s like the lorry drivers. It was abundantly clear there would be more friction at the borders, and if anyone should be aware of this it’s lorry drivers who were witnessing and using the benefits of the customs union each and every crossing. They then complained when customs were imposed on them. This can only be described as utter stupidity…..yet we all get called out if we use this term. How else can you describe this? I have respect for the ones who stand by their decision but the ones who started complaining and moaning about losing work/money really need to give their heads a wobble.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Watching Putin versus the West on BBC2 now - geez! - what a sPineless, pathetic, self-serving bunch of rubbish tHe EU was! Glad to be out of it - it even made Cameron look like he had a back bone! Sanctions? - yes, but not if they get in the way of us making money, or of they upset Putin - and no way if there are economic consequences to us and our paymasters! PATHETIC!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports