Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can only go on my own experience on Newhaven-Dieppe. I've done the crossing three times this year and more times than I count over the last 15+ years. The only change I've seen since Brexit is that my passport is stamped - the time to pass French border control hasn't increased at all. Quick check of each passport and a stamp put into each passport - it really takes no longer than the last 15+ years.

I'll also point out, again, that even the French have said their staff got delayed for working at Dover. Strange, if this is a Brexit problem, that ports such as Newhaven, Portsmouth etc don't have these problems. I'll ask again, what is your experience of travelling across the channel before Brexit v after Brexit ?

Ohh - [MENTION=41643]Eric the meek[/MENTION] - no I wasn't referring to your posts around Brexiteer bashing.

Since you are showing such an interest in my experience of crossing the channel, it would be rude not to reply. I have noticed no effects whatsoever and, if anything my experience of actually crossing the channel may may be that it's actually been a bit quicker :thumbsup:

But given that it has been at a good few thousand feet each time, it has about as much relevance to the Dover problems as a Newhaven/Dieppe crossing :wink:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Interesting, thanks, but that's lorry drivers. How long did it typically take to check car drivers' and passengers' passports? I haven't been via Dover for years, but the Channel Tunnel at St Pancras certainly had proper checks per-Brexit.

Simon Calder, in his observations at Dover, said that people used to be waved through, without passport checks.

However, if you are determined to find data that says nothing has changed, with today's times post-Brexit being the same as pre-Brexit, then get googling. Seek and ye shall find !

The Eurotunnel / St. Pancras operation is not really relevant to the Dover chaos, because it's a train.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You can do as you wish, if I took this view they might be at least 30 on ignore who have nothing new to say.

Anwsers in BOLD.

Dodgy? Moi? They were searching all similar vehicles where there was scope for people hiding.

Mrs DiS turned off the Nick Ferrari show on LBC this morning (she can’t stand him anyway) because again it was ALL about blaming the French. Liz Truss is being continuously confrontational and combative about it as well. Why can’t we just sit down with them and start - OK, this has been a bit of a disaster, hasn’t it. What do we need to do to make it better next time. Sitting down and talking about it is always going to be better than shouting at people across the channel.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I can only go on my own experience on Newhaven-Dieppe. I've done the crossing three times this year and more times than I count over the last 15+ years. The only change I've seen since Brexit is that my passport is stamped - the time to pass French border control hasn't increased at all. Quick check of each passport and a stamp put into each passport - it really takes no longer than the last 15+ years.

I'll also point out, again, that even the French have said their staff got delayed for working at Dover. Strange, if this is a Brexit problem, that ports such as Newhaven, Portsmouth etc don't have these problems. I'll ask again, what is your experience of travelling across the channel before Brexit v after Brexit ?

Ohh - [MENTION=41643]Eric the meek[/MENTION] - no I wasn't referring to your posts around Brexiteer bashing.

My experience of ferry crossings, is that there is ALWAYS that amusing bit when one of the cars in front suddenly empties and everyone runs around like keystone cops trying to recall where the passports have been stashed. It never makes any difference to travel time, because boat loading is a finite exercise. Peak travel times at Dover is an entirely different matter.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Simon Calder, in his observations at Dover, said that people used to be waved through, without passport checks.

However, if you are determined to find data that says nothing has changed, with today's times post-Brexit being the same as pre-Brexit, then get googling. Seek and ye shall find !

The Eurotunnel / St. Pancras operation is not really relevant to the Dover chaos, because it's a train.

I'm asking questions to get data, not to find specific data. I suspect that certain people are exaggerating the time issue because they dislike Brexit and are looking for any stick to beat it with, and like in any subject under the sun, to say "isn't it appalling, checks now take 45 seconds" is worthless unless we know how long checks lasted before.

I shall ignore your little comment about the train! :D

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
some of the behaviour on this thread is demeaning to NSC. why can't everyone just take a lead from our politicians and respect alternative views?

Screenshot 2022-07-25 100744.png

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The last time I crossed on a ferry an impatient porche driver decided to change lanes, crossed through the blind spot in front of a large lorry and had to abandon their trip to France. Shame, it was a nice car.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm asking questions to get data, not to find specific data. I suspect that certain people are exaggerating the time issue because they dislike Brexit and are looking for any stick to beat it with, and like in any subject under the sun, to say "isn't it appalling, checks now take 45 seconds" is worthless unless we know how long checks lasted before.

I shall ignore your little comment about the train! :D

Yes, sorry about the Eurotunnel train thing. I couldn't resist.

There is no exaggeration of the time issue. I've told you about Simon Calder's observations at Dover port (before they evicted him anyway). And I've given you a link to nearly two years worth of test timings, prior to implementation. Freight traffic uses Dover as well as holidaymakers, so it is relevant. We live in this area, and have seen the lorry queues on local TV. They are not exaggerated. They are real.

If you still think people are exaggerating the whole issue, why don't you get data yourself? Who knows - you could find some in your favour.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yes, sorry about the Eurotunnel train thing. I couldn't resist.

There is no exaggeration of the time issue. I've told you about Simon Calder's observations at Dover port (before they evicted him anyway). And I've given you a link to nearly two years worth of test timings, prior to implementation. Freight traffic uses Dover as well as holidaymakers, so it is relevant. We live in this area, and have seen the lorry queues on local TV. They are not exaggerated. They are real.

If you still think people are exaggerating the whole issue, why don't you get data yourself? Who knows - you could find some in your favour.
Your linked report on truck drivers does say that the UK checks 100% of incoming traffic with no apparent problems, and the French check only 20%. Which makes me wonder if their boxes are undermanned. Though as that's still only referring to lorries, it may not be strictly relevant to the car drivers and holidaymakers.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What amazes me with Brexit is surely there must be some opportunities to make our citizens lives better, but despite resorting to the assistance of Sun readers the Tories still seem incapable of identifying anything of significance.

And in their desperate attempt to claim some Brexit victory they continue to sign terrible trade deals that undermine our industries.

Can Sunak's freeports / chart cities deliver any benefit to UK exporters?

Was the Tory agenda all along to deregulate and line their the pockets of themselves, their mates and their donors? Is it that simple?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How long did passport checks take before Brexit? I think the 45 seconds quoted is the total time, not the specific extra tme for stamping the passport. How long did it used to take for a car to roll up to the passport control, have the 2 occupants' passports checked, and drive away to be replaced by the next?

We go to France every year through the Tunnel. Most times the French didn't even bother looking at our passports on the way out, because our passports were EU.

Now they have to be stamped, checked on the computer to see if we've already had 90 days in the last six months, if we have a return ticket etc.

Ps, our passports were renewed in 2017 so are still maroon, with EU on them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just to check; you have to queue, get your passport checked and stamped when you go abroad?

Who'd have thunk it, USA and Aus for example have had this going for years.?

Next year from May, you will need an ETIAS costing 7 euros.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Just to check; you have to queue, get your passport checked and stamped when you go abroad?

Who'd have thunk it, USA and Aus for example have had this going for years?

Ah the old Brexiters trump card of holding up Australia and USA as an example.
Have a think about it and see if you come up with any answers why the channel crossing to France might be slightly different. ???

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Because looking at many of the posts it appears to have become a Brexiteer bashing thread rather than a discussion around the delays - much like the original Brexit thread.

I actually agree with you, a healthy discussion forum should be about sharing of opinions, respecting ones right to such opinion and keeping to the subject matter

Brexit tends to be 1 side people stating facts and a cult which deny them. and most people are quite of bored of the whole thing

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
some of the behaviour on this thread is demeaning to NSC. why can't everyone just take a lead from our politicians and respect alternative views?

View attachment 150284

Its starting to feel like watching a brawl between Palace and Palace U23's, this is pure gold

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here