Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thanks for posting this, may be the Americans are more clued up than I being led to think.

I have been a member of a American/British forum for a number of years. In the main the Americans are embarrassed that Obama has got involved and as americanBHAFC post stated the very vast majority support Brexit.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I know I would like to see you guys leave, its in your best interest economically speaking, (majored in econ). Being as Obama was speaking 'on behalf of America' when he was commenting on a Brexit, I was curious to see where the rest of the Americans laid, although our opinion doesn't matter in this.

So I went to a mostly American forum and posted almost word for word the same question. The results were astonishing to be honest. View attachment 73956

Pretty much in line with all the Americans i know.
Many have commented to me on what Obama said and generally getting involved

i wish i could repeat the comments on here but NSC is a family forum

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know I would like to see you guys leave, its in your best interest economically speaking, (majored in econ). Being as Obama was speaking 'on behalf of America' when he was commenting on a Brexit, I was curious to see where the rest of the Americans laid, although our opinion doesn't matter in this.

So I went to a mostly American forum and posted almost word for word the same question. The results were astonishing to be honest.
attachment.php

Is there actually a link to the forum itself?

americanBHAFC

Apr 22, 2016
Thanks for posting this, may be the Americans are more clued up than I being led to think.

Despite what the youtube video's show about how dumb Americans are, there are many who do pay attention to foreign affairs and will follow it closely.

Well I think that even American commentators agree that their fellow-countrymen are currently far more interested in pictures of their leader with Prince George or being driven by the Duke of Edinburro than nuanced stuff about European politics. Ask them a question like this and they can only reply one way. It proves nothing. Rather more relevant perhaps are the views of the British and Commonwealth citizens who are living here and will be voting. Check out the poll at the beginning of this thread for that.

I did not come in here saying "My poll is more important!!!"

I stated in my original post that our opinions don't matter on this issue, but I was just curious on American stances to see if we are as torn as you guys. I don't think you can relate American commentators to the American populace, and we all know that lol. You will also find most American news sources are relatively neutral while reporting on the issue.

D

Deleted member 22389

This isn't the end Leavers, I wonder what tricks they going to pull out of the bag next to scare us in to Remaining.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well I think that even American commentators agree that their fellow-countrymen are currently far more interested in pictures of their leader with Prince George or being driven by the Duke of Edinburro than nuanced stuff about European politics. Ask them a question like this and they can only reply one way. It proves nothing. Rather more relevant perhaps are the views of the British and Commonwealth citizens who are living here and will be voting. Check out the poll at the beginning of this thread for that.

Really, here are a few comments from Americans...... "NOT the way to treat a friend. I suppose some one in the U.K. political hierarchy asked him to say a few words? Surely he wouldn't have just taken it upon himself. Big mistake, all around"

" While I will never minimize the efforts of all of those who fought in Europe, it does not provide any special American oar in the water as to whether England stays in the European Union or not."

" The United States has its own version of these situations.

There are some business tax changes be considered here that may cause some changing in attitudes, but if nothing else these companies can settle their corporate headquarters in places like Hong Kong. However, for the countries and for the people, I see little advantage in bein members of the EU. Among our States here we have some similar situations but not as jarring as is the EU.

New solutions will have to be developed by the people and instituted by the people. It doesn't appear that current leadership will do what is required on either side of the Atlantic."

"I would like to believe that the European Union (EU) can become a functioning whole that benefits all its members, but I believe that to be unlikely. Even though roots of each nation State have many similarities, there are many dissimilarities also as part of their roots. Anyone who believes that the European Union will easily come together is living in a dream world. In addition to all of the differences of the member States, the pressure of African immigrants with quite different cultural roots coming to Europe before the new European Union is settled (let alone begun to mature) only adds to the challenges of its success."

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Despite what the youtube video's show about how dumb Americans are, there are many who do pay attention to foreign affairs and will follow it closely.

Correct. The beauty is that the Americans are not up against a mainly IN media, government etc,so can form their own opinions as they govern themselves.

D

Deleted member 22389

I did not come in here saying "My poll is more important!!!"

I stated in my original post that our opinions don't matter on this issue, but I was just curious on American stances to see if we are as torn as you guys. I don't think you can relate American commentators to the American populace, and we all know that lol. You will also find most American news sources are relatively neutral while reporting on the issue.

I have seen lots of polls on different sites, Guardian, Telepgraph, Mail, Express and every single one points to Leave by a large majority, yet the pollsters tell us different. This is exactly the same as what happened before the General Election, where the pollsters where telling us Labour where going to win, but look what happened next.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
This isn't the end Leavers, I wonder what tricks they going to pull out of the bag next to scare us in to Remaining.

Probably that if we vote out they will just drain the English channel and brick it up either end..

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Because we want access to the EU internal market - essential to our economy and trade - but also want the control and flexibility of our own currency. It is not a difficult question to answer.

Thats not really a answer though is it. If we want access to the EU market surely the pound should have been sacrificed long ago. You say We want control of our own currency please explain the difference with Brexit then because you are now sending very mixes signals

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thats not really a answer though is it. If we want access to the EU market surely the pound should have been sacrificed long ago. You say We want control of our own currency please explain the difference with Brexit then because you are now sending very mixes signals

It is an answer though, you just don't like it. There is no requirement for our membership of the EU to join the Eurozone.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I think he is now confused. We have our own currency and can trade with the EU if we Brexit.
Just in case though i am with a British gas/elec provider ( i believe there is only one now) and i have brought two massive water butts and filled them with tap water in case Southern Water (French owned) pull the "plug" if we leave. I shall be looking at other issues of protecting myself post election, like buying French letters in case these are stopped.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What are you babbling on about?

We already get a lot of our electronics from the far east. Same for cars and loads of other products.

Have you got two heads?Don't know how anybody can be that dumb with only one!The point is that we trade with the USA from historical choice,not necessity.If they don't want to trade with us,who cares,apart from a lot of American jobless.They have a $6 trillion trade surplus with us-if they don't want it any more,so what?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

It is an answer and a solid one. We want access to the European internal market which makes up over 50% of our trade. We also want our own currency because it gives us greater control over our economy. Brexit means that we lose access to the EU internal market and have to renegotiate entry. The options for entry have been much discussed, Canada, Norway, Swiss models and so on. None of these models provide us with the same access that we currently enjoy and would result in economic damage to the UK economy and dampen growth in both the long and short term.

These are the alternative models and what HM treasury has calculated it will cost
1) The Norway option

What is it: Britain would remain part of the European Economic Area, like Norway, with access to the single market but still have to accept certain EU rules like free movement and directives agreed in Brussels.

GDP: 3.8% lower (than if UK stayed in EU).
Annual cost per household: £2,600
Annual lost tax revenues: £20bn

2) The Canada option

What is it: Britain would sign a bilateral free trade agreement with the EU, like the one Canada has negotiated – an example cited by Boris Johnson, the London Mayor, as a possible option.

GDP: 6.2% lower (than if UK stayed in EU).
Annual cost per household: £4,300
Annual lost tax revenue: £36bn

3) The World Trade Organisation option

What is it: Britain would not sign a standalone trade deal with the EU but instead rely on tariff levels set by the World Trade Organistion.

GDP: 7.5% lower (than if UK stayed in EU).
Annual cost per household: £5,200
Annual lost tax revenue: £45bn

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It is an answer and a solid one. We want access to the European internal market which makes up over 50% of our trade. We also want our own currency because it gives us greater control over our economy. Brexit means that we lose access to the EU internal market and have to renegotiate entry. The options for entry have been much discussed, Canada, Norway, Swiss models and so on. None of these models provide us with the same access that we currently enjoy and would result in economic damage to the UK economy and dampen growth in both the long and short term.

These are the alternative models and what HM treasury has calculated it will cost
1) The Norway option

What is it: Britain would remain part of the European Economic Area, like Norway, with access to the single market but still have to accept certain EU rules like free movement and directives agreed in Brussels.

GDP: 3.8% lower (than if UK stayed in EU).
Annual cost per household: £2,600
Annual lost tax revenues: £20bn

2) The Canada option

What is it: Britain would sign a bilateral free trade agreement with the EU, like the one Canada has negotiated – an example cited by Boris Johnson, the London Mayor, as a possible option.

GDP: 6.2% lower (than if UK stayed in EU).
Annual cost per household: £4,300
Annual lost tax revenue: £36bn

3) The World Trade Organisation option

What is it: Britain would not sign a standalone trade deal with the EU but instead rely on tariff levels set by the World Trade Organistion.

GDP: 7.5% lower (than if UK stayed in EU).
Annual cost per household: £5,200
Annual lost tax revenue: £45bn

Surely that is a contradiction straightaway, you cannot have both you want to stay in but under special terms

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
by 2030 the population of this country will either be higher or possibly lower than now,if higher and if people are here working GDP will rise and if lower and GDP is slightly lower then that's less people to support......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here