Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
With more than 3 million people having signed a petition for a repeat referendum on Britain's membership of the European Union, and 100,000, bizarrely enough, calling on London to make a unilateral declaration of independence -- and then to become dependent again as a city state member of the EU -- the fog of war has now lifted to reveal a very ugly truth about the real battle lines in the recent campaign.

It was, at core, a division between those who are fundamentally committed to democracy (the Brexit camp), and those (the Remain camp) who either oppose democracy or at least feel unsure about whether and to what extent it should be respected as a first order political priority.

We at The Commentator have been pointing this out for years. It's just that the Remain camp's sheer lack of graciousness in defeat has opened up this reality for all to see.
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/6353/anti_democratic_hysteria_gripping_failed_remain_camp

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The article is Carney saying they wont have power over the currency, the point i made. We cant stop them. It will be costly for them but as brexit has shown sometimes people are willing to forgo some wealth for they perceive as higher principles. Welcome to a new smaller country

I will agree to disagree but you are right....with regards Scotland Brexit has only speeded up the potential of a split in the Union...It may still not happen or it probably will...it's a Dichotomy of sorts.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Right. **** this. We're ALL up shit creek and we need a paddle. Now, not in three months.

Fellow Remain voters: Enough already. Yes, we're all pissed off but navel gazing ain't gonna help. Not all 17 million Leave voters can possibly be racist northern pensioners without an O level to their name. Maybe they have a point about this quitting the EU thing? Maybe not. Whatever, we are where we are and no amount a whinging is gonna change that. Allegedly we're the intelligent ones, so get your thinking caps on.

Leave voters. Well done. Good game. We hear you. Now you need to get stuck in to the aftermath and not just piss off back to Wetherspoons. (Just banter, twats!). And the first person to say they "want their country back" gets deported to ****ing Gibraltar. OK?

Politicians.

David. **** off. Shut the door behind you. Now.

George. You may be a **** but you're our ****. Plus you know the passwords for our Junior Savers account. Get your calculator. Drop the face-like-a-slapped-ass routine. You're on.

Boris. Sorry mate. That photo of you abseiling by your scrotum over the London Olympics while waving a Union Jack can't ever be un-taken. Plus, you'll never be able to appear on Question Time again without some sturdy Glaswegian nurse asking where the **** her 350 million quid is. Not only will she have a very good point, she'll be wearing a T shirt that shows you gurning in front of that ****ing bus! No captains hat for you I'm afraid.

Theresa. You're in charge love. Get the biggest shoulder pads you've got. We need Ming The Merciless in drag and you'll scare the shit out of 'em.

Nicola. Yep. Fair cop. You probably could get us on a technicality, as could London. But we ****ing love shortbread. And oil. And to be honest you're probably the best politician we've got, so we need you on side. Sort your lot out and we promise never to mention that Jimmy Krankie thing again (although it is pretty uncanny) and we'll make you a Dame once we're sorted. Bring Ruth Davidson. She kicks ass.

Opposition party. We'll need one. Someone take Jeremy and John back to the British Legion Club where you found them. Take Nigel as well. Give back their sandals, buy them a pint, then go to Heathrow and collect David Milliband. **** it. Lets gets Ed Balls as well. He keeps George on his toes. I think he works on the lottery kiosk at Morrisons now?

Oh. And Mark Carney. Give him a knighthood and tell him to keep that shit coming. We definitely need more of that good shit!

Everyone set? Right. Hold the Easyjet. We're going to Brussels and this ain't no hen party.

:lolol:

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The margin and outcome of the vote proves that things have changed for the worse in this country- Remain are more educated and wealthy......in 1975 the EU (then common market) vote was 17 million to Remain and 8 Million to leave

2016 the margins have shown the numbers of uneducated sun reading council estate xenophobic morons has stunningly risen to over 17 million-worrying :lolol:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
With more than 3 million people having signed a petition for a repeat referendum on Britain's membership of the European Union, and 100,000, bizarrely enough, calling on London to make a unilateral declaration of independence -- and then to become dependent again as a city state member of the EU -- the fog of war has now lifted to reveal a very ugly truth about the real battle lines in the recent campaign.

It was, at core, a division between those who are fundamentally committed to democracy (the Brexit camp), and those (the Remain camp) who either oppose democracy or at least feel unsure about whether and to what extent it should be respected as a first order political priority.

We at The Commentator have been pointing this out for years. It's just that the Remain camp's sheer lack of graciousness in defeat has opened up this reality for all to see.
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/6353/anti_democratic_hysteria_gripping_failed_remain_camp

Is it really a surprise about those who voted remain arn't keen on sticking with democracy, after all they were voting to stay with something that wasn't wholly democratic

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Despiite the referendum petition being started by a brexit supporter.

I feel we have all taken part in the biggest con trick in modern political history. The remainers voted for the status quo, the leavers voted to get out but between us we may well of just all been duped into the signing up to full Monetary and Political union. Boris back tracking tonight, Osborne "reassuring" statement tomorrow, Labour and tory imminent leader elections and a soon to be in null and void referendum when they both end up electing remaining leaders.

Said tory/labour leader goes back to commission and says we are staying and they say great.....but first can you just look at our new proposal for you.

Interesting times ahead.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Ok then, a democratic referendum was set up, all sides agreed with the terms. The voting occurred. We are out. Why do you think it's right, clever or funny to F88k with democracy?

You didn't follow the chain Rivet. Understand the outcome of the vote and a democratic course has been set. Probability is we leave. But other scenarios can also happen, and be equally as democratic. Eg an election before we set article 50, where a party is pro remain. Or we reapply to go back in. All pro democracy scenarios. And of course the 1970s to join wasnt forever, as it shouldnt be

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They both do revision on legislation, only the house of Lords isn't democratically elected, the EU parliament is. So when talking about democracy within the UK and the EU, it's a totally reasonable comparison to make.

Please, enough with the 'B' word. It makes you look stupid.

A reasonable comparison? No, it really isn't.

You've also just changed your statement from 'lawmakers' to revisors.

The house of lords are not lawmakers. Neither are those 'elected' in EU parliament - they just vote.

The difference is at home, our elected government puts forward and passes laws. Comparitively, in the EU, it is within the purview of an unelected EU commission.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
You didn't follow the chain Rivet. Understand the outcome of the vote and a democratic course has been set. Probability is we leave. But other scenarios can also happen, and be equally as democratic. Eg an election before we set article 50, where a party is pro remain. Or we reapply to go back in. All pro democracy scenarios

Wow, ok hamster.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I feel we have all taken part in the biggest con trick in modern political history. The remainers voted for the status quo, the leavers voted to get out but between us we may well of just all been duped into the signing up to full Monetary and Political union. Boris back tracking tonight, Osborne "reassuring" statement tomorrow, Labour and tory imminent leader elections and a soon to be in null and void referendum when they both end up electing remaining leaders.

Said tory/labour leader goes back to commission and says we are staying and they say great.....but first can you just look at our new proposal for you.

Interesting times ahead.

There is a big win to be had here.

I voted remain as it's easy and for me what we had is great.

However, there was a big democratic deficit with EU Law overuling the UK Parliament. I could live with that, but now it's gone which is a fantastic bonus.

So we get the best trade deal - membership of EFA for goods and services, and allow free movement of people ( perhaps with an emergency brake or an annual maximum with people then going on a waiting list etc, no people coming just to go on benefits etc). Additional co-operation on environmental matters etc.

There is a fantastic outcome possible, up to the negotiators not to throw it away ( and that means not getting obsessed about immigration ).

We'll need to pay a fee of course, so we best just forget the £350 million a week for hospitals - that needs to be correctly paid for out of total Government spend.

Last edited:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I can't help but laugh at those that think they have a chance at usurping the result. They are like typical lawyers or spinners looking for loopholes. You succeed, you succeed in nothing but encouraging civil strife, riots, and angst amongst ALL communities. Is this clever? Hatred amongst young and old, religion against religion, communities against communities? Stir it up by trying to change the result of the referendum will be catastrophic. I fear, really I fear.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Interesting times ahead.

I said before the vote took place it was a bit like being asked which would you prefer, having an arm or a leg amputated and you had to pick one to happen. Both weren't great outcomes regardless of the result and we have to live with the aftermath

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Interesting times ahead.

No, no and thrice no. It is OUT and that's it. No backtracking. Boris never wanted out, just himself 'in'. I know loads of people who voted 'out' so that it would force a renegiociation of being in. No, no and no. Sometimes I still can't believe how thick people can be. We are OUT and now its just a matter of how much of our arse we can retain as we run the gauntlet out tthe door. THAT is democracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here