Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
And there in a nutshell is the folly of such a referendum. Nobody really knows what the alternative will actually be. Immigration was laid at the door of the EU. I think we'd have been better off dealing with how to distribute immigrants rather than let the poor put up with the fall out. Our laws taking precedent over EU laws? Let's see how hard Boris campaigns for social justice, a fairer voting system, and against an unelected upper chamber. It's only reasonable if you really do believe this was all about taking law making back from Brussels.

In ten years time, when we are paying as much to have access to the single market but unable to influence it in any way, and the UK is split, Cameron will go down as the worst PM England has ever had for his simpering gutless decision to go to the people over this, just because UKIP were eating into HIS party's votes.

This, with knobs on

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So true. There's an awful lot of vitriol being thrown around on all the EU threads but democracy rules, OK!

No one ever said that democracy is perfect but history suggests it's the least bad option.

I think the only participants that should be ashamed of themselves are the Remain politicians for doing a lousy job of presenting a positive case for the EU
Fair point.
and Brexiteers for suggesting that Brexit can take place without pain, possibly short term, but pain nevertheless
It's not the job of a politician's campaign to highlight the negatives of voting for them, that's the job of the other side.
and their manifest failure to offer a clear plan post-Brexit.
That was impossible. It was up to Cameron to state his plan post Brexit, as he's the PM. It's up to him whether or not he resigns, and when. Didn't he suggest he's instigate Article 50 straight away, but now it's off for a few months. Those campaigning to leave cannot make these decisions, they're not the government.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If the EU suddenly pops up and delivers a range of the reforms that Britain was looking for originally, that would be a justification for the UK to halt it's declaration.....or pause at least... it would present tricky legal arguments.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Thats my view, i feel like someone recently divorced who regrets that but for a couple of issues that are probably easily sorted we could've stayed together.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Brilliant, this cannot be ignored!
4022812485_f4a9f33406.jpg

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Thats my view, i feel like someone recently divorced who regrets that but for a couple of issues that are probably easily sorted we could've stayed together.

It's not a couple of issues that could probably be easily sorted though. The direction of the EU is tighter and tighter political integration with more and more centralised control under the likes of Juncker and Schmidt. That causes continual conflict with the UK. Negotiating opt outs time and time again just puts sticking plaster on a gaping wound. The EU is going in a completely different direction to that which the UK wants o go.

I wonder how many others would like to use that time machine as well!!!

Well I can tell you of 5 who voted leave because they believed the 350 million figure and believed that immigration would stop.

They now regret it.

But still, they got their country back.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yes it is. If a majority of 18-24 year olds decided to not vote, and therefore reduce their opportunities for future economic success and choice, then they've made a conscious decision to do so.

Whilst I despair at the decision, it should still be respected.

You must be joking

So you cannot support your claims and therefore spouting hot air like most others still scaremongering. It's time to move on

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Where is the plan?

Leave campaigned on leaving the EU, but with absolutely no cohesive plan on what comes next.
And don't bring up the bollox about them not being the Government, only an idiot would have thought Cameron wouldn't resign on a leave vote. And even the bnp put out their plans for governing the country at a General Election, and my Mums knitting circle have more chance of forming a government than them.
The country has taken a huge punt on something that nobody has a clue on the outcome off.
Naive doesn't quite cover it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The trouble is just over a third of the electorate voted to leave.

the trouble is just over a third of the electorate voted to remain.

if you believe there will be chaos there shouldnt have been an vote in the first place. lets not talk ourselfs into self fulfilling assumption of doom.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The economic models of the Treasury, EY Item club, OECD, IMF and nearly every respected organisation predict lower economic growth as a result of a no vote. The UK fell from fifth to sixth largest world economy on Friday after the vote. That's immediate evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't forget the Italians as I believe they are net contributors. Also, they can make up the shortfall from us leaving (but bear in mind we may still make substantial contributions to allow access to the free market so the shortfall might not be that much). The alternative is they reduce the size of grants that are given and make savings that way.

Some of them think we'll be okay.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The main thing is that we negotiate an appropriate new relationship. And that HAS to recognise that over 48% of the voting population do not want to leave the EU.
And a good chunk of those that voted leave (maybe a third) still want access to the free market with the free movement of people in the EU 0 meaning that 65% of the voters still want that.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I voted remain mainly because of simplistic business rationale. We will genuinely lose jobs in certain industries now either through regulatory driven decision in industries such as Financial Services, and potentially a shed load more in the service sector for global companies that don't like fiscal or monetary uncertainty. I think any losses of jobs would be knee jerk in certain cases that could always be reversed but in any case this will lead to further instability and economic uncertainty for whatever passes itself off as our Government post actual BREXIT date.

I genuinely feel that the only thing that can help us take more ownership and self determination now is if other marginal European nations also hold their own referendum and seek similar self determination but I cant see that happening.

Am I angry that we as a country voted to leave? Yes. What pains me the most is the number of people that didn't vote - nearly as many as those that voted to remain or leave - and those that voted leave without considering the consequences or actually bothering to find out what it meant. (Before any keyboard warriors take a pop at that last comment I am not bracketing any posters on here so far in that category.)inter

Some of the interviews with people have been staggering. My favourite being a chap from Barnsley who genuinely felt that voting to leave the EU would result in less net migration of Muslims. Staggering.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Well that's that then.

But you could ask them to explain their investment strategy and what level of choice you have in where your pension funds are invested. Some pension fund managers have multiple scenarios that allow their clients to choose, to a greater or smaller extent, the level of risk and reward they are prepared to accept and the preferred split between capital growth and income that they desire.
You almost certainly do have the choice of transferring your pension from the current fund manager into a SIPP. I have done that with 3 different pension funds in the past, in order to consolidate my pension pots and to gain greater control over where they are invested.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It would appear that the Remain campaign are the only side who are expected to abide by the democratic process.

Us leavers are very happy with the way the democratic process has gone, thank you very much. Abiding with it is fine.

Remoaners are coming up with some damn silly ideas today........

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
the trouble is just over a third of the electorate voted to remain.

if you believe there will be chaos there shouldnt have been an vote in the first place. lets not talk ourselfs into self fulfilling assumption of doom.

I am convinced that the government and the leave campaigners (apart from the lunatic Farage) never expected a Brexit majority.

Who is going to take over as PM and trigger Article 50, the most important economic decision in our history?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here