Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well done Boris.

A deal has been done. We keep our sovereignty, to be able to make our own rules & laws with no tariffs.

Fantastic news to end a tough year

The adjective '' WELL '' is not what springs to mind pertaining to this course of action given when negotiations all started

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Wonder if this deal is better or worse or pretty much the same as the May Deal? Has the deal changed much or has parliament just been largely cleared of MPs who were only ever absolutely clear about what they DIDN'T want? Which was just about any deal and every deal
If members of the ERG are giving lukewarm support at the moment, then yes it is currently better.

In leave voter terms.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
A deal has been done !

If you think the Johnson last minute deal will save our country, you are sadly mistaken. The only thing it is better than is a crash-out no deal. Johnson will declare his genius and then run and hide as the full details emerge. This is pretty much the same deal put forward by May which Johnson resigned over .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I know absolutely nothing about politics and never voted in my life, is this a good or a bad thing for the average working class of this country?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You would think they would be happier considering most have been talking up a no-deal disaster scenario for 3 years ... especially grim day for Watford Z who has been hoping for a no-deal outcome. Thoughts and prayers to them all at this difficult time :D

A bad deal is worse than no deal

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So Johnson says the new trade deal is worth £660bn a year, which is what the current trading is worth, but now there are additional costs involved in that there will now be far more paperwork involved, which could lead to delays (certainly at the start). Far more red tape, Kent turned into one giant lorry park, Services excluded, many industries needing to examine the detail to see what they said fully and how they are effected.
No doubt when the full detail is read, there will be areas where Johnson has conceded more than he said he was prepared to do.
So a 4% hit on GDP in the medium term at least. Potential sanctions from the EU when we fail to adhere to the terms of the agreement. A border between Northern Ireland and GB.
But no doubt continued spin from Johnson saying what a great deal this is, with the ability to hide the economic shortfall behind the Covid hit to the economy.

I will wait until I see the unicorns and sunny uplands before celebrating.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
At the rate that Boris has been bumping off the Older Generation during the Covid Outbreak it might be well in advance of 20 years
Given the size of the conservative win in the last GE it won't be for a nice long time before it's even considered.

Even the Labour leader and said it's time to move on and we are out.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I know absolutely nothing about politics and never voted in my life, is this a good or a bad thing for the average working class of this country?

Consider this - Brexit has meant that there is added cost for trading goods with our nearest and largest trading block. More admin = more costs = less profits = worse for the "average working class". Even the free trade deal there will still be paperwork.

Any expected "freedoms" that are espoused by the people keen on "breaking away from EU laws" - well, consider this, what are these laws? They are seen as "red tape" - this is employment law, safety regulation, product standards. Is a breakdown of these good for the "working class" across the country? Maybe if you want to have a perceived freedom to work 65 hours a week or have your annual leave entitlement reduced. Don't be fooled by people spewing clap-trap about laws about "how loud a vacuum cleaner are" - the people who are pushing Brexit have always wanted to reduce regulation for their own benefit and this is a simple cover for it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Fair play to BJ for delivering the result of the democratically-held referendum. Anything else would have undermined democracy in this country. No matter what might follow, democracy has finally run its course :clap2:

Britain was a 'democracy' run through Parliament that institution was smashed when it was decided to have an advisory vote on leaving the EU and then make it policy. Parliament was further undermined when people accused MPs of being traitors for not adhering to the vote. MPs are elected to do what is best for the electorate not do what the electorate tell them. Old hat i know but you still have not understood the basic principles and why we WERE the envy of a lot of other countries.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Given the size of the conservative win in the last GE it won't be for a nice long time before it's even considered.

Even the Labour leader and said it's time to move on and we are out.

Thats true but wait till we see all the negative affects kick in. Simple things like Inflation on goods and waiting at queues to get into Holiday Destinations and to get back into the UK every time everyone goes on holiday. First thing I did when we left was get an Irish Passport to sit alongside UK one. Not everyone has that option.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Time will tell. It's good that it's over.

But quite how anyone is declaring it in the way some on here are is gobsmacking. Until the detail is known it's impossible to say if it's worthwhile or not.

It's a bit like signing a striker we have never heard of and declaring him to be the 20 goal as season silver bullet before he's kicked a ball.

It really is disturbing how folk, even mature folk on here, take presentation at face value and don't question it.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
You would think they would be happier considering most have been talking up a no-deal disaster scenario for 3 years ... especially grim day for Watford Z who has been hoping for a no-deal outcome. Thoughts and prayers to them all at this difficult time :D

That's an unnecessarily foolish and provocative comment. It serves no good purpose.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Consider this - Brexit has meant that there is added cost for trading goods with our nearest and largest trading block. More admin = more costs = less profits = worse for the "average working class". Even the free trade deal there will still be paperwork.

Any expected "freedoms" that are espoused by the people keen on "breaking away from EU laws" - well, consider this, what are these laws? They are seen as "red tape" - this is employment law, safety regulation, product standards. Is a breakdown of these good for the "working class" across the country? Maybe if you want to have a perceived freedom to work 65 hours a week or have your annual leave entitlement reduced. Don't be fooled by people spewing clap-trap about laws about "how loud a vacuum cleaner are" - the people who are pushing Brexit have always wanted to reduce regulation for their own benefit and this is a simple cover for it.

Absolutely. Most people who voted for Brexit can’t even give a coherent argument why they did.

Essentially brainwashed by Cameron, Farage and his cronies. “We don’t want the EU red tape?”, “we don’t want to be a part of Europe!”, “the NHS will save millions!”, and usually, “something something about immigration”.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Time will tell. It's good that it's over.

But quite how anyone is declaring it in the way some on here are is gobsmacking. Until the detail is known it's impossible to say if it's worthwhile or not.

It's a bit like signing a striker we have never heard of and declaring him to be the 20 goal as season silver bullet before he's kicked a ball.

It really is disturbing how folk, even mature folk on here, take presentation at face value and don't question it.

Let's hope it'll be more Zamora than Locadia. :lolol:

In all seriousness, get in Boris, well done! Great news to end the year on and chuckled at his sprouts quip. :bowdown:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

In fairness not just NSC though. A lot of folk will happily accept a narrative pushed by media without applying critical thinking.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
We need to see the detail first.

Superficially, we are told :

1. No quotas, no tariffs;
2. No ECJ 'interference';
3. Fishing rights sorted;
4. Erasmus scheme ceases to be replaced by UK's Turing Scheme (worldwide);
5. Points Based Immigration Scheme + Settled Status are changes to People issues (but we knew that b4);
6. Heaps of Customs paperwork on goods in/out of UK (ok delayed 6 mths on non-controlled goods into the UK);
7. Broadly follow EU standards on goods or else tariffs will follow;
8. Services : limited equivalence? Need to see the deal first;

So 5 & 6 are (depending on your viewpoint) negative and costly; 8 - let's see the detail.

Anything else anyone has picked up on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here