Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Latest round of Brexit talks have ended. Barnier gave a press conference. Virtually no progress on any substantive issues. He itemised the areas (4 concrete examples) in which the government are 'back-tracking' (his term) on the Political Declaration. We appear to be shuffling toward the no deal outcome. My take on this is that

a) there might still be the lingering thought on the UK side that the EU will concede at the last minute

b) Johnson knows they won't but he's boxed himself in a corner with promises to his base on so many issues (eg fisheries) that he simply can't be seen to be conceding any ground: talks collapse; no deal

c) as above, but as a liar he will reluctantly concede at a late stage and try to bluff his way out of it - reluctant deal

d) the least likely: he'll enter into the negotiations (which he signed up to) with 'best intent' and look for complex, pragmatic, negotiated outcomes in the spirit of the Political Declaration, and be honest with the pubic that with such outcomes you have to give something to receive something in return - genuine deal

PS what ever happened to the illusion of 'frictionless trade'?

As always in the utopian world of remainers Barnier always tells the truth. Let's wait and see. A deal will probably be made last minute to save face on both sides.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As always in the utopian world of remainers Barnier always tells the truth. Let's wait and see. A deal will probably be made last minute to save face on both sides.
I don't really think the EU needs to "save face". Nothing much has really changed for them, and the impact of no deal with the UK will be trivial for 26 out of 27 nations.

At this point, I feel we will either have no deal or an absolutely shit one - far worse than the one Theresa May couldn't get through the commons.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Its the expected shambles.

I'm afraid that if you believed it twice, when Johnson told you about the referendum and then told you about the election, then maybe you shouldn't be surprised at what you get?

(I'm really not sure, that complete and utter ignorance doesn't cut it anymore - FFS how stupid can an individual be)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I don't really think the EU needs to "save face". Nothing much has really changed for them, and the impact of no deal with the UK will be trivial for 26 out of 27 nations.

At this point, I feel we will either have no deal or an absolutely shit one - far worse than the one Theresa May couldn't get through the commons.

Still believe a last minute agreement will be achieved. All sabre rattling at the moment

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

You would think they would get bored parroting the EU line but it's always worth reminding our remoaner cult friends that still pollute this thread which side they are supposed to be on ...

british-flag.gif

:salute:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Still believe a last minute agreement will be achieved. All sabre rattling at the moment

I have said all along this lot want No Deal. That’s why the opposition parties tried hard to get an agreement that it wouldn’t be No Deal last year, but that’s useless now, as no government is bound by the previous government.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Latest round of Brexit talks have ended. Barnier gave a press conference. Virtually no progress on any substantive issues. He itemised the areas (4 concrete examples) in which the government are 'back-tracking' (his term) on the Political Declaration. We appear to be shuffling toward the no deal outcome. My take on this is that

a) there might still be the lingering thought on the UK side that the EU will concede at the last minute

b) Johnson knows they won't but he's boxed himself in a corner with promises to his base on so many issues (eg fisheries) that he simply can't be seen to be conceding any ground: talks collapse; no deal

c) as above, but as a liar he will reluctantly concede at a late stage and try to bluff his way out of it - reluctant deal

d) the least likely: he'll enter into the negotiations (which he signed up to) with 'best intent' and look for complex, pragmatic, negotiated outcomes in the spirit of the Political Declaration, and be honest with the pubic that with such outcomes you have to give something to receive something in return - genuine deal

PS what ever happened to the illusion of 'frictionless trade'?

they will run the clock down this month, see how the Europeans react to their own imposed deadline on extending, then see what they can piece together by end of the year. string together existing contingency plans and call it a deal.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Stockpiling 2.0, coming to a supermarket near you this December

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
You would think they would get bored parroting the EU line but it's always worth reminding our remoaner cult friends that still pollute this thread which side they are supposed to be on ...

british-flag.gif

Are you confident that flag will look the same in the future ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Course you do, and if it doesn't happen it will be because remoaners didn't believe enough. There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Stockpiling 2.0, coming to a supermarket near you this December

You are not the first remoaner(not the same as remainer) raising awareness of december stockpiling online and im sure you wont be the last having a panic attack.
Hope you have a great pointless panic buy stockpile.
I will carry on as normal .

PS Dont forget your tampons.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

british-flag.gif

If the flag is representative of the country, maybe they’ll add a dashed line across the top left corner to represent the customs checks on goods travelling within our own borders?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
If the flag is representative of the country, maybe they’ll add a dashed line across the top left corner to represent the customs checks on goods travelling within our own borders?

The right wing in this country have always tried to commandeer the union jack for their nationalist political agenda.
It's time the good people of this union retrieved its identity....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the communist manifesto that is The Times

[tweet]1269161637480747012[/tweet]

ouch.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

There are already border checks between NI and GB for animal movements so perhaps just make the existing dashed line a bit bolder?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

british-flag.gif

You really don't seem to appreciate the irony of posting the union jack do you. Two out of the 4 nations want to be in the EU. If you want to be accurate wave the English flag.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There are already border checks between NI and GB for animal movements so perhaps just make the existing dashed line a bit bolder?

The Irony of NSC's most ardent Unionist doing more for a United Ireland than any republican has managed in the least 200 years - he's definitely a winner :lolol:

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Im fairly certain this shower of shit is going for a 'no deal', and the time is looming, which is why they want you all back at work despite the potential dangers of returning too quickly What leaders.. Putting their idealogy before your safety.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good grief .... so I'll explain in simple terms just for you .... a lot of chickens are treated in the same way while alive in the UK - or indeed in the EU - it's just the cleaning process that's different. Now if you want to support unethical chicken farming in the UK then carry on buying your chicken from a supermarket. Feel free to continue to buy your Parmesan as well - which I'd guess you do ? Go on - admit it - you buy Parmesan ?

Now why you would want to bring Parmesan into a Brexit discussion from nowhere, I can't imagine, but since you did :wink:

Ockenden Manor - one of our favourite haunts for dinner. Used to have a star but no more and to be frank I can see why. Mrs W had oysters three ways to start and thought they were stunning. I had carpaccio - it was average. Was disappointed it didn't have parmesan on it - surely that's a must for carpaccio ?

Wheelers

Very small place - handful of tables but also has a deli. The deli had constant queues down the street which was quite telling. It's BYO so a nice bottle of Polly Fume from the offie over the road. Starters were blow tourched mackrel, eel, with a beetroot soup accompanied by an apple grape and celery salad and smoked haddock on a spinach and potato risotto with egg yolk and parmesan. Both were great except the beetroot soup which really didn't suit the dish .... maybe beetroot jus and candied beetroot cubes would have been better.

So what attracted you to animal welfare stalwart [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] ?

The Internet - remember it's always there in Black and White :facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here