Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a precedent, albeit with major differences. Britain's fishing industry has been profoundly damaged by EU policy and the CAP has cost us billions.
We did a pretty good job of destroying our own fishing industry well before the EU, we wiped out the North Sea Herring fishery along with the Cornish Pilchard fishery decades before joining. Thanks to TAC quotas across the E U some stocks are recovering.

The problem is pure greed, as a species of fish gets rarer it's price increases so it's still worth targeting and so fished until collapse of the breeding stock. Fish respect no borders so TAC quotas have to be Europe wide.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sitting on the fence is scared of change, you have bought into the bullshit from the media, I have a young family so there is no way I would put them in danger, I also have retirement a decade or so away, we have released birds from the cage and that makes me delighted.
If you rate yourself and your fellow citizens then why not just forget the media and get behind your team, Team Britain.

If not you know where the door is.

What a ridiculous post. Sitting on the fence is being indecisive. Completely different to what you are talking about.

As for your final sentence, what a load of drivel. I am British. I have always lived here. Doesn't mean I have to agree with any decision that the British public make. A vast majority of the British public as a whole didn't vote to leave and only a small majority of the actual voters voted to go. It was such a small majority that, I agree with the OP, we shouldn't have left based on it.

Whatever you might think you have put your young family in danger. Any change is a risk. You cannot possibly know the future. In my opinion, people like you have put the whole country's future at risk and it will be my generation who pay the biggest price (despite not voting for it). Isn't democracy great?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
err, I think you're missing the point. I know the definition, I wanted to know what it meant to the poster personally as it's part of a rather grand sounding lexicon people are trotting out, suggesting they believe that their lives are now going to be dramatically, almost magically, transformed.

I haven't heard anyone saying that. But we couldn't decide on immigration numbers, we can now. Our Parliament and courts were not the supreme authority in our country. Now they are. Our representitives were not in charge of our trade policy and negotiations. Now they are. Etc.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
So why say look at what's happening? Nothing has happened. Traders react with a herd mentality and this volatility will pass. The results of this won't be seen for months/years. Your post was an emotional reaction and nothing to do with reality.

Cool. :thumbsup: nothing has happened, got it.

Let's see which of us is proven to be right in the years to come. Will it be you, and your merry band of BNP/Britain First supports, the intellectual Keith Chegwin/David Icke, the gun loving Donald Trump, or serial NHS privatisation proponent Michael Gove, or me - with Stephen Hawking, all living Prime Ministers of the UK, the leaders of Labour, Conservatives, Green Party and the Liberal Democrats, the Governor of the Bank of England, the IMF and U.S. President Barack Obama on my side. Going to be interesting, certainly.

Either way, chuffed to hear £350million a week is going to the NHS. The next time I visit AE I'm expecting a marble floored entrance, grecian statues adorning every corner, and a couple of original Botticelli's on the wall.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This might give us a distinction between the parties that may get people out to vote for one or the other (a sort of hot topic if you were)

If these rights, etc, are important to the people of the UK and if they are dismantled, (however there is no proof yet that they are under threat, just conjecture) surely it makes a party pledging to restore them should they be be abolished more electable?

I don't think he was just saying they will restore them 'if' they get into power, he was claiming that they would stop it happening in the first place, which, he doesn't actually have any power to do.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
And all this is more to do with the U.K. Government than the EU, or did the rise of buy to let pass you by

+ the will of the people

The unwillingness to allow houses to be built on new sites, (protect the countryside) even if it leads to a housing shortage. People using the extra equity gained from higher house prices to fund a more extravagant life style by borrowing against this increase, etc.... Demand massively outstrips supply and nothing his being done to close that gap.

Now we have a situation were Governments artificially prop up house prices (as Labour did during the last recession) to ensure that a lot of owners didn't end up with massive negative equity, keeping the prices high and not allowing a price correction to make it more affordable to those wanting to get onto the ladder

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I was merely using it as an example. Any narrow result was always going to result in someone, somewhere calling for a second referendum. If this one had been as decisive, either way, as the AV referendum in 2011, nobody would.

You are right, it was always going to happen. & It was always going to be wrong and dishonorable.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Really? It is my obversation on how people like Murdoch manipulate, nothing more. If you read 'little Englander' into that...And if you think that The Sun Says Leave didn't influence the gullible then yes, you probably are a mug.

Reverse phycology? Good try.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
And all this is more to do with the U.K. Government than the EU, or did the rise of buy to let pass you by

Completely agree with this. I actually think if Cameron and Osborne had campaigned for out, we would probably have stayed in the EU. It was a rebellion against the government and their cuts.

The irony is people like me said this would happen after last year's election and it's come true and now led to us leaving the EU. Cameron will go down in history as the leader whose incompetence and negative campaigning led to us leaving the EU. I bet a lot of people who voted to leave the EU based on this were the ones who voted for this government a year ago.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Just sad that the leave voters represent a much greater proportion of the poorly educated than the remain, so those with the ability to do anything about this mess want nothing to do with it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
In four years time, you won't be able to find anyone who voted out

2hibe53.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I'm too angry at the moment, with Cameron for calling a referendum to shut his right wing Tories, the absolutely awful campaign remain ran, focus img entirely on the negatives of leave, not the benefits of remaining, and the section of my country men who voted to leave. I may calm down eventually , but it won't be for a while

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ironically, the band were a big influence on Paul Weller. Maybe he wrote this for circumstances such as this.

The Jam were truly PROPHETS! :bowdown:

'What you see is what you get
You've made your bed, you'd better lie in it
You choose your leaders and place your trust
As their lies wash you down and their promises rust
You'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns
And the public wants what the public gets'

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Couldn't disagree with this more. Older generation are more affected by xenophobia so hardly wiser. The older generation has enforced something on the younger generation, which young people did not vote for. As 65+ is the age group that voted most to leave, many of them will be retired and less impacted by this. 18-40 who universally voted to remain will have to face the consequences (and future generations too) of the xenophobia of older generations and history won't look kindly on them.

Well, this old git, 68 next month, voted to remain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here