Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Saturday morning, after the withdrawal agreement is enacted, we will still be paying into the EU, operating under their rules, regulations and laws and using all of their trading terms.

But enjoy your Big Ben Bong, 50p piece and tea towel. At least Johnson didn't lie to you about those :thumbsup:

View attachment 119610

Oh ........... well 2 out of 3 isn't bad

I know that

But you said there were only two ways we could leave the EU via a withdrawal date.
1/ softest of soft brexits
2/ no deal

now we all know the no deal deal option is defunct, so when is this softest of soft version going to happen before friday

its almost as if your crystal ball never worked

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No trade deal can still happen. In fact this will work brilliantly for me as I now have good rights in Germany enshrined in international law due to the withdrawal agreement. And a crushing no deal at the end of the year will result in loads of extra business in my industry. Admittedly it’s a pisser for people in need of new drugs, but an absolute god send for my livelihood.... and my hourly rate.

Scare mongering guff, it's Y2K, brexit referendum part 1, is there anything factually proved in these politically motivated assertions? Where do they come from? Real events or remainer interests?

Come next Feb, feel free to bounce this.

p.s You forgot to mention "cliff edge"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Scare mongering guff, it's Y2K, brexit referendum part 1, is there anything factually proved in these politically motivated assertions? Where do they come from? Real events or remainer interests?

Come next Feb, feel free to bounce this.

p.s You forgot to mention "cliff edge"

What do you mean? It’s widely known a no trade deal can still happen.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know that

But you said there were only two ways we could leave the EU via a withdrawal date.
1/ softest of soft brexits
2/ no deal

now we all know the no deal deal option is defunct, so when is this softest of soft version going to happen before friday

You're making things up again (I've highlighted it for you).

Maybe you could do what you did last time and edit my quotes again to try to justify what you've posted :wave:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No trade deal can still happen. In fact this will work brilliantly for me as I now have good rights in Germany enshrined in international law due to the withdrawal agreement. And a crushing no deal at the end of the year will result in loads of extra business in my industry. Admittedly it’s a pisser for people in need of new drugs, and the smaller companies, but an absolute god send for my livelihood.... and hopefully my hourly rate.

Let’s get Brexit done!

he was not referring to the trade deal after leaving. He was referring to we could only leave by no deal or the softest of soft exits, the latter needs to be inplace by friday......its not even on the table or in the agreement

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You're making things up again (I've highlighted it for you).

Maybe you could do what you did last time and edit my quotes again to try to justify what you've posted :wave:

You said we can only leave either by a no deal or the softest of soft brexits
we are not leaving on friday with no deal, when is your softest of soft brexits going to happen before friday?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You said we can only leave either by a no deal or the softest of soft brexits
we are not leaving on friday with no deal, when is your softest of soft brexits going to happen before friday?

This is just semantics. If you leave at the end of the year without a trade deal what will you call it, other then no deal?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
What do you mean? It’s widely known a no trade deal can still happen.

It was the use of the words "a crushing no deal"!

Accepting no deal may work for you, a managed/planned no deal (if that were the case) with so many mini deals enacted, is not proven at all to be crushing or Cliff edge etc.

It's inflamed rhetoric.

best of luck to you either way.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is just semantics. If you leave at the end of the year without a trade deal what will you call it, other then no deal?

The semantics being he wasnt talking about a trade deal after the withdrawal deal. He was specific about leaving the EU according to the withdrawal deal.....and said it was either no deal or softest of soft exits.......his crystal ball was obviously screwed......but we all told him that anyway

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The UK's leverage has been watered down in that they legally have to pay £39B trade deal or no trade deal. The Irish border is no longer an issue, the UK caved in and the border problem is now within the UK instead

But we hold all the cards the day after well leave. Brexiters were had in June 2016, they learnt nothing, they got poorer and were had again in December 2019.

Must admit I didn't think people could be so easily gaslit, what's next...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
MEPs who are voted for by us have no power to propose or change legislation. The commission nor the council of Europe, the decision makers...... have representatives selected by, able to be removed by or accountable to European voters. They are political appointees.

As EU is over-arching national law. The simple principle that voters should be able to hire and fire their law makers is circumvented. And they have no say in the federal direction the EU is moving.

There is simply no need of a federal superstate. The common market was the right solution.

I'm not even going to bother with the French model protectionist system it has become. The CAP, How key UK growth sectors are stifled by its red tape. The EU cannot function properly as 27 individual member states, it could only badly work by going ever deeper and becoming federal, which it intends, but dare not reveal. It's been lying for decades.

It's done we're out, and history will be the judge, but for all the despetate naysayers, another global economic downturn like 2007 is a far bigger risk to the UKs economy than leaving the EU.

Luckily we're not hamstrung by the one size fits all ECB like many of the stagnant euro economies.

Who appoints the appointees? Who appoints the Home Office minister, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Shadow Brexit secretary?
Who decides Tory policies?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
including more civil servants than in the whole of the 27 countries in the EU put together.

I'm sure I'll get accused of jumping on your post by your mate Watford but this bit it blatantly untrue - I'll give you the respect not to call it a lie - just a misunderstanding of a Tweet you probably got it from. Just as a simple example - the UK has 430k Civil Servants yet France has 1.6m ( and that excludes lots of roles we would consider Civil Servants ).

Jan 30, 2008
Marvelous scenes ,Watford bloke , the Women from Newhaven , poor old lever , thicko , Hastings man all desperately flapping around in the water as they wait for someone to rescue them
Regards
DF

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure I'll get accused of jumping on your post by your mate Watford but this bit it blatantly untrue - I'll give you the respect not to call it a lie - just a misunderstanding of a Tweet you probably got it from. Just as a simple example - the UK has 430k Civil Servants yet France has 1.6m ( and that excludes lots of roles we would consider Civil Servants ).

I was talking about the EU parliament, not the individual countries governments. I was responding to a post about unelected bureaucrats in the EU parliament.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
There are no unelected or unaccountable bureaucrats in the EU. There lots of them in Westminster, including more civil servants than in the whole of the 27 countries in the EU put together.

If you were a victim, it was of the lies drip fed to you.

I was talking about the EU parliament, not the individual countries governments. I was responding to a post about unelected bureaucrats in the EU parliament.

No, you said in the whole of the 27 COUNTRIES put TOGETHER - i.e. adding up all the civil servants in each of the other 27 EU members there would be less civil servants than in the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, you said in the whole of the 27 COUNTRIES put TOGETHER - i.e. adding up all the civil servants in each of the other 27 EU members there would be less civil servants than in the UK.

Semantics. You know what I meant.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Semantics. You know what I meant.

It's not semantics. If you'd meant the UK has more civil servants than the EU itself why didn't you post that ? Even if that is what you meant - so what ? I'd bet that every member state has more civil servants than the EU. Why shove an extra 33k of them on top ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not semantics. If you'd meant the UK has more civil servants than the EU itself why didn't you post that ? Even if that is what you meant - so what ? I'd bet that every member state has more civil servants than the EU. Why shove an extra 33k of them on top ?

I did post that. You chose to read it differently, and to nit pick.
The debate was about unelected bureaucrats in Brussels and Strasbourg.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
keep-calm-last-full-day-in-the-eu.jpg

EPI6aNUWoAA0nzQ.png
:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here