Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
When the vote happened in 2016, you knew what remain was, but leave was lots of different things depending on who you listened to,

Now we know what leave is and basically, not much like it was promised. So you are now terrified what people think.

Far easier to bury it in a General Election, eh?

Terrified? Moi?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we want to be a country which keeps it's word to it's people - difficult I know with the liar in Downing Street - then we need to leave. We just have to. But we make the best exit possible, and then fix the future.

Enough from me now, until the voting starts. No deal wrecking customs union, though please, at the very least.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I know it's been said before but it's worth saying again, democracy is not undermined by more democracy. A trade union asks it's members if it wants to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement (which is basically what membership of the EU or departure from the EU is) it then puts the results of its negotiations back to the members for a confirmatory vote. So I ask again, now we know what the consequences are of leaving the EU, why is it not right and proper to give the British people the right to either accept or reject the terms of the deal?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know it's been said before but it's worth saying again, democracy is not undermined by more democracy. A trade union asks it's members if it wants to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement (which is basically what membership of the EU or departure from the EU is) it then puts the results of its negotiations back to the members for a confirmatory vote. So I ask again, now we know what the consequences are of leaving the EU, why is it not right and proper to give the British people the right to either accept or reject the terms of the deal?
One last observation.

This is all sound and reasonable.... but would have needed to have been in place at the start of the process - so everyone knew upfront that their initial vote was only half the decision.

Another Cameron failure, really.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not scared. It's just irrelevant. Why do we need to, when it's already been done? My referendum voting slip did not say 'Best of 3'. Happy for a 'This Deal or No Deal' exit referendum.

C-KJQWAXoAAvibb.jpg

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's just irrelevant. Why do we need to, when it's already been done? .

Indeed. I say we also should just have one general election and then stick with that party forever. Sure, they may not do what they promised when elected, and the people may feel annoyed at their choice and wish to have an opportunity to change, but why have another vote when it's already been done?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Deep meadows yet, for to forget
The lies, and truths, and pain? . . . oh! yet
Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?

- Rupert Brooke

"Let's brainwash the people into hating the European Union whilst keeping our tax havens"

- Rupert Murdoch

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So if Johnson's timetable isn't agreed, he's taking his ball home ?

You couldn't make it up [emoji38]ol:

Off out for some sunshine :wave:
He has to... because the no confidence vote will kill the bill on Nov 1st if it isn't done.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Funny how there were flags from all of the Union, bar England. Some leavers have made the English flag toxic due to your isolationist attitude.

Parallel's of what the BNP did to Union Jack.

Do you remember the days when there were England flags everywhere during World Cup's? Not anymore....

Firstly, unless you're flying from the back of a boat, it's the Union FLAG …. not Jack. You'd expect a true patriot to know that and especially one that decides to use for their avatar. Secondly, of course the English flag was represented - it's part of the Union Flag.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
In practical terms that would have been unlikely to change the way people voted and it was made clear that the referendum was 'advisory'.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ithe only one taking offence is you , time and time again you've shown yourself up for what you are
An undemocratic loon that takes to insults as some kind of there to go I told you so to ease the pain of coming to terms with leaving the EU
Get ready for Brexit
Regards
DF

Only because I have given up trying to have a meaningful conversation with leave thickos and you are the worse of the lot and totally hypocritical.
Leavers who keep saying best of 3 need to grow up it's not kids football in the playground it's just another democratic vote after all the lies.
Government threatening to pull the whole Brexit Bill.
On our way
Back down the sewer for you
No offence intended
Regards
RC

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1186627154760613888[/TWEET]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

agree, and we should have reconfirming vote every 4-5 years thereafter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One last observation.

This is all sound and reasonable.... but would have needed to have been in place at the start of the process - so everyone knew upfront that their initial vote was only half the decision.

Another Cameron failure, really.
Unbelievably, for a process that's over 4 years old it's tough to think of a single decision that's been made by anybody that hasn't been an abject failure.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It doesn't matter what you believe. Many people would feel betrayed and there would be damaging consequences, fortunately I believe the moderate forces of democracy, fairness and freedom will prevail and we will leave.

The point on perception vs reality is a reasonable one. You are right, there will be ill informed people who feel betrayed. They have been led by those who are so ideologically driven to an extreme Brexit Based that they were delighted to have lied to the country. There may or may not be damaging consequences, we must do the right thing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is as corrosive as almost any other factor in this sorry mess is the absence of a coherent plan for a UK post-Brexit world that preserves the Union and makes us all better off.

Our economic prosperity is dependent upon close co-operation with the EU, that's just the way things have evolved over the last 46 years.

We won't get a Free Trade Deal with the EU because that will cost money and a Tory red line is that we aren't prepared to pay for it. Yet doing free trade deals around the world requires that we be out of the EU Customs Union.

So what IS the plan? How are we going to remain as one UK and be better off after Brexit?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
What is as corrosive as almost any other factor in this sorry mess is the absence of a coherent plan for a UK post-Brexit world that preserves the Union and makes us all better off.

Our economic prosperity is dependent upon close co-operation with the EU, that's just the way things have evolved over the last 46 years.

We won't get a Free Trade Deal with the EU because that will cost money and a Tory red line is that we aren't prepared to pay for it. Yet doing free trade deals around the world requires that we be out of the EU Customs Union.

So what IS the plan? How are we going to remain as one UK and be better off after Brexit?

Indeed. They have no Plan. This is ideological issue for some who have lied to the many. They don’t care for a Plan.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Not scared. It's just irrelevant. Why do we need to, when it's already been done? My referendum voting slip did not say 'Best of 3'. Happy for a 'This Deal or No Deal' exit referendum.

Nor did your voting slip indicate which of the many versions of 'leave you were voting for.

While we're at it please list a few ways you expect life to improve for some/all of us as non members of the EU. Improvements we could not have made as members of the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here