Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What - the Jonathan Powell that spent 20 years as a diplomat and then went on to one of the most important roles in NI.

'During the period 1997-2007 Powell was also the chief British negotiator on Northern Ireland. One of Powell's most crucial jobs was his role in the Northern Ireland peace talks that led to the Good Friday Agreement.'

Sounds like a bit of an expert to me, why should we listen to him :wink:

He's definitely an expert and not to be listened to. Powell was saying what he said last night back in 2016 in regards to the Irish border, so fortunately it appears nobody has.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's never irrelevant correcting remainer stupity and lies.

Any idea yet what your 'good deal' looks like ?

But you definitely haven't been played by the Leave campaign, no siree.

It's just coincidence that you and Johnson now want exactly the same thing. 'I'd prefer a good deal, but if not then it's no deal', mere coincidence :facepalm:

I'm just surprised you haven't managed to work Johnson's latest term for the terminally naive, 'Surrender Act' into your posts yet

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not the reports I read. Apparently the French government and the EU assisted in the wording of the Benn Act ( I won't call it the Surrender Act as I know it upsets some sensitive souls ).

I haven't been on here much lately, so I missed this from a couple of days ago. I guess you had to move quickly to lay claim to it after [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] had already got Leave means Leave and Brexit means Brexit as his own :lolol:

Last edited:

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Remember, it is now against the law to leave without a deal and that deal looks highly unlikely.

This is almost right, Johnson by law has to ask for an extension to avoid No Deal, but the EU doesn't have to grant one (but will). The law isn't that the extension must be granted, so there is still a chance of No Deal, albeit very small.

If what has been leaked is anywhere close to Johnson's plan, it won't get close to acceptance by the EU, and looks like it was written to fail. Still, there is a chance that we'll find out later that what was leaked wasn't complete and so a deal may be closer, but I doubt it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is almost right, Johnson by law has to ask for an extension to avoid No Deal, but the EU doesn't have to grant one (but will). The law isn't that the extension must be granted, so there is still a chance of No Deal, albeit very small.

If what has been leaked is anywhere close to Johnson's plan, it won't get close to acceptance by the EU, and looks like it was written to fail. Still, there is a chance that we'll find out later that what was leaked wasn't complete and so a deal may be closer, but I doubt it.

Of course you're only referring to the Oct 31st date ….. if an extension is put in place it doesn't stop a no deal at a future date.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Breach of an International peace treaty, could we see Britain in the dock at the Hague?

Hopefully the leaks are all wrong. UK trying to push Ireland around as the junior partner again, we've done this in the past and it didn't end well

It's as John Bruton said on Monday night, as The Democrats have been saying in the US before - Brexit has to be reconciled with our obligations under the Belfast and Anglo-Irish Agreements.

People excitably cheer on the no deal fantasy and us becoming an international pariah though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's as John Bruton said on Monday night, as The Democrats have been saying in the US before - Brexit has to be reconciled with our obligations under the Belfast and Anglo-Irish Agreements.

Bodes well for a hormone beef trade deal...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course you're only referring to the Oct 31st date ….. if an extension is put in place it doesn't stop a no deal at a future date.

To take your argument on a step, if the EU are keen for us to remain at any cost (as some hard Brexit fans say) then Boris will have to ask for an extension (by law) and it will be granted, repeat ad infinitum, and we will never leave.

If the EU are wanting to do us down and punish us (as some other hard Brexiters argue) they will not grant Boris an extension and we tumble out on Nov 1.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales

Correct, No Deal would be impossible until the end of the extension, either 31st Jan 2020 or after, as there is no point granting a shorter extension, or until such time parliament votes for it. Even if there is a Tory/BP majority at the next election, No Deal will not be voted for.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
To take your argument on a step, if the EU are keen for us to remain at any cost (as some hard Brexit fans say) then Boris will have to ask for an extension (by law) and it will be granted, repeat ad infinitum, and we will never leave.

If the EU are wanting to do us down and punish us (as some other hard Brexiters argue) they will not grant Boris an extension and we tumble out on Nov 1.

There will surely come a point though where the EU go "this is pointless, we won't grant a further extension" - given even the rules now suggest an extension can only be granted if there is a 'good reason' - I'd suspect Parliament not knowing it's arse from it's elbow wouldn't be considered a good reason !

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I haven't been on here much lately, so I missed this from a couple of days ago. I guess you had to move quickly to lay claim to it after [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] had already got Leave means Leave and Brexit means Brexit as his own :lolol:

My very own stalker …. how nice :facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Section 10 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018:

10 Continuation of North-South co-operation and the prevention of new border arrangements

(1)In exercising any of the powers under this Act, a Minister of the Crown or devolved authority must—

(a)act in a way that is compatible with the terms of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, and
(b)have due regard to the joint report from the negotiators of the EU and the United Kingdom Government on progress during phase 1 of negotiations under Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.

(2)Nothing in section 8, 9 or 23(1) or (6) of this Act authorises regulations which—

(a)diminish any form of North-South cooperation provided for by the Belfast Agreement (as defined by section 98 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998), or
(b)create or facilitate border arrangements between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland after exit day which feature physical infrastructure, including border posts, or checks and controls, that did not exist before exit day and are not in accordance with an agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/10/enacted

I'm sure Lady Hale and some other grown ups will be able to help Johnson and the others out with this one, before showing them how to safely cut up a Kellogg's Cornflakes packet in half with scissors and apply sticky back plastic to it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Oh...

Capture.JPG

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales

There will surely come a point though where the EU go "this is pointless, we won't grant a further extension" - given even the rules now suggest an extension can only be granted if there is a 'good reason' - I'd suspect Parliament not knowing it's arse from it's elbow wouldn't be considered a good reason !

Given there will be a VONC, General Election or new PM very soon, there is a good reason for this delay. If whichever one of those things happens, and the Commons is as divided then as it is now, the chances of No Deal or revocation of Article 50 will go way up as it'd be clear to the EU the chances of getting a deal through Parliament would be remote. The deadlock would remain an there would be less chance of securing an extension to get a deal.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Somebody reading your posts doesn’t make them a stalker, does it.

Not being on here much ( by his own admission ) and then going back to find a post of mine does make him a stalker somewhat. Throw in all the @'s he's used then becomes an addicted stalker.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not being on here much ( by his own admission ) and then going back to find a post of mine does make him a stalker somewhat. Throw in all the @'s he's used then becomes an addicted stalker.

Grow a pair. Nobody is stalking you. You really aren't anywhere near as important or engaging as you think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here