[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
...and possibly ended up with No Deal. Nose/face springs to mind. Can't moan then, can they?

No Deal makes re-entry a lot more likely.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No, sorry, no dice. There is no requirement to be a Queen's Speech because of a change in PM, never has been.

To suggest nobody on the Leave side is a liar or a fool doesn't really do your argument much favour. There are plenty on both sides who are both liars and fools, to suggest otherwise is naive to the point of being breathtaking.

I don't agree with the Nazi Germany comparisons even slightly. To me this is much more reminiscent of the installation of puppet regimes behind the Iron Curtain in the years after 1945, using the "democratic process" to railroad through your whims and stacking the decks permanently in your favour.

Yeah because that’s more sensible and really marks you out as a man/woman of perspective :)
As to my suggesting that nobody on the Leave side is a liar or a fool, I am not actually sure where you are getting that from. What I was saying was that many on the Remain side tend towards making that accusation about anyone with whom they disagree. I did however it seems use a poor example because I did not realize your journalist friend is/was actually a leave voter :blush:

On your first point I didn’t say it was a requirement. It’s just what’s happening because the Government is prioritizing its agenda over yet more debate about a topic that Parliament can’t actually agree on anyway. They had their opportunity and wasted it.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

In the sense that he voted leave. To be strictly accurate we don't know how he voted but he was got very pissed off with the Guardian when he was described as a Remainer last week and has often tweeted on his preference to be out of the EU but with a deal.

I suspect that he's on the same path as me, someone who voted leave but is decidedly not happy how the government has gone about enacting that vote

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yeah because that’s more sensible and really marks you out as a man/woman of perspective :)

The parallels are uncanny. Take it from someone with an MA in Twentieth Century History.

As to my suggesting that nobody on the Leave side is a liar or a fool, I am not actually sure where you are getting that from. What I was saying that many on the Remain side tend towards making that accusation about anyone with whom they disagree. I did however it seems I used a poor example because I did not realize your journalist friend is/was actually a leave voter :blush:

You explicitly said "None of us are liars or fools" (it's there in your post and quoted directly by me, feel free to go back and check). There are some on the Remain side who think that way, I am not one of them, and would argue that many more on the Leave side accuse those on the Remain side of any number of blanket descriptions (including some of the posters on this very thread).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No Deal makes re-entry a lot more likely.

Serious question - let's assume we do leave on a no deal - and it's looking increasingly likely - do you really think a majority would vote to re-join given part of the terms of joining would be adopting the Euro ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In the sense that he voted leave. To be strictly accurate we don't know how he voted but he was got very pissed off with the Guardian when he was described as a Remainer last week and has often tweeted on his preference to be out of the EU but with a deal.

I suspect that he's on the same path as me, someone who voted leave but is decidedly not happy how the government has gone about enacting that vote

Fair enough. He was a poor example of the mindset I was describing in that case.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is Y2K times a million.

There were virtually no issues with Y2K ( and I can say that as someone that earned a fortune working on it for a defence company ). It was mostly uneducated hyperbole. So if this is Y2K times a million then it will be fine.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Serious question - let's assume we do leave on a no deal - and it's looking increasingly likely - do you really think a majority would vote to re-join given part of the terms of joining would be adopting the Euro ?

When faced with the reality of No Deal I think there is a strong possibility. It is also not a prerequisite that the Euro is joined on Day 1 of re-entry, that can can be kicked down the road a little further. Plus given the state of the pound post-No Deal then the Euro might look like a pretty damn strong and stable (sorry) currency.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Loads of posters on here would quit literally cream their panties at the thought of us adopting the Euro [emoji23]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The parallels are uncanny. Take it from someone with an MA in Twentieth Century History.

You explicitly said "None of us are liars or fools" (it's there in your post and quoted directly by me, feel free to go back and check). There are some on the Remain side who think that way, I am not one of them, and would argue that many more on the Leave side accuse those on the Remain side of any number of blanket descriptions (including some of the posters on this very thread).

Ah I see the misunderstanding. It is a little ambiguous now I reread but the ‘none of us’ I was referring to was you, the twitter journalist and me. I didn’t make any intended reference to all leave voters.
As to the History, it is a fascinating subject that is all about opinion. I’m sure if you advanced your comparison in an academic department you would find many equally well qualified historians who would argue the opposite. Personally I find the comparisons way over the top and not helpful in advancing your cause.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

No.

Far more likely we'd join EFTA and the EEA which means, like Norway, we wouldn't switch to the euro.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I think that's an interesting question. My guess is that it depends how bad the hit is - we all know that the economy is going to a bit bumpy but is it going to a temporary hiccup or a long-term, deep recession. If the former, my guess is no, if the latter then, yes, we may well vote for it - particularly if the queen is dead (there may not be the same emotional attachment to a currency with Charlie's head on it)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports