Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
2322 pages and you've been unable to read all the posts giving the benefits ? Yet there have been hundreds, no, thousands of posts giving the benefits. Are you a bit slow on the up take ?

Thousands? Really? I don't believe you because nobody has been able to tell me one benefit of leaving the EU.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
lol. nobody is being horrid to me.

They are just being sarcy and arrogant.

It's no skin off my nose, it's just sad. Mostly for them.

It takes courage and humility to treat those you don't agree with with respect.

Not treating those you disagree with with respect is a sign that you lack courage and humility.

It's sad for them, not me.

Maybe you should check your response to Mikey.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thousands? Really? I don't believe you because nobody has been able to tell me one benefit of leaving the EU.

What you mean is nobody has posted a benefit that YOU think is a benefit. There have been many many posts of what other people think are benefits.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Maybe you should check your response to Mikey.

Not sure who Mikey is or what response you are talking about.

I'm not perfect, I do try to avoid being sarcy or arrogant though, and most importantly, I listen to other peoples point of view and I don't assume someone is stupid because they disagree with me. It may well be me that is stupid (yeah yeah, fill your boots).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
2322 pages and you've been unable to read all the posts giving the benefits ? Yet there have been hundreds, no, thousands of posts giving the benefits. Are you a bit slow on the up take ?

You'd certainly think so. But on various occasions I've requested this. I'm not saying I'm so important as to expect a response tailored to my specific request but often nothing whatever comes back. I really do think that while there's a strong case for Brexit on the basis of the referendum outcome (as the football genius reminds us an awful lot), there are very few other material benefits other than abstract slogans (take back control) or simple and rather reflexive dislike of the EU (undemocratic, we send them vast amounts of money). On this latter point if it could be established that the amount we pay them is demonstrably greater than the benefits which accrue from membership then, yes, that would be a reasonable point. It would be totally wrong (just look at the projections of GDP losses which make the contribution miniscule) but at least it would be playing on the same pitch as the opposition.

I might be a slow learner, but I am coming to the conclusion that there isn't really much of a case: it was flimsy in 2016 and just about everything that has happened subsequently has weakened it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I am sure you will know them by heart and hopefully will be good enough to spare us the time and effort of trawling through the countless positives.
One or two maybe....

I've given my reasons for voting leave and what I believe are the benefits numerous times on this thread. I'm not going to re-post them because you were late to the party and are too lazy to read the thread.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You'd certainly think so. But on various occasions I've requested this. I'm not saying I'm so important as to expect a response tailored to my specific request but often nothing whatever comes back. I really do think that while there's a strong case for Brexit on the basis of the referendum outcome (as the football genius reminds us an awful lot), there are very few other material benefits other than abstract slogans (take back control) or simple and rather reflexive dislike of the EU (undemocratic, we send them vast amounts of money). On this latter point if it could be established that the amount we pay them is demonstrably greater than the benefits which accrue from membership then, yes, that would be a reasonable point. It would be totally wrong (just look at the projections of GDP losses which make the contribution miniscule) but at least it would be playing on the same pitch as the opposition.

I might be a slow learner, but I am coming to the conclusion that there isn't really much of a case: it was flimsy in 2016 and just about everything that has happened subsequently has weakened it.

The mistake you make is that you are looking at it as a purely financial thing i.e. if we lose x amount in GDP etc where do we make it back.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
"They just can't see it".

Yeah Ok.

You didn't "dumb it down to make it easier". You just made it dumb.

There's good reason you turn to an analogy like that. Because there are actually no intellegent arguments you can make to change the situation. Yes there is lot's of worry about how things will shape up when we leave. & much of that concern is fully justified. But we had a refurrendum and decided, together, by way of a democratic vote, to leave the EU. So that is what we are going to do.

You would do better to spend less time thinking up meaningless Disney analogies (and accusing people who don't agree with you of being thick), and more time coming to terms with where we are, and then, getting over it.

Just quoting this response of yours to theonlymikey, as you say you didn't recall it, it was a few hours ago. I feel you were a bit disrespectful, and claimed he used analogy as he had no intelligent arguments, and there you are using analogies of playing chess with pigeons, as a reason to avoid giving an intelligent argument in favour of Brexit.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

Would you do me the honour of showing me these benefits. You suggest they're easy to find. Warning, it will include scrolling up and down on multiple pages.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I've given my reasons for voting leave and what I believe are the benefits numerous times on this thread. I'm not going to re-post them because you were late to the party and are too lazy to read the thread.

Your pointless, sneering comments are noted...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The mistake you make is that you are looking at it as a purely financial thing i.e. if we lose x amount in GDP etc where do we make it back.

Are the benefits more visceral and less easily measured, so that's why you are all struggling to explain them?

(only trying to help, and I'm outahere when Mrs Wz gets back from the loo :wink:)

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Are the benefits more visceral and less easily measured, so that's why you are all struggling to explain them?

Go on then ..... given I've mention NUMEROUS time why I voted leave and you're such a wizz with the search function - tell me why I voted leave - and I mean from MY persective not because I was 'fooled' or any of that other shit ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Go on then ..... given I've mention NUMEROUS time why I voted leave and you're such a wizz with the search function - tell me why I voted leave - and I mean from MY persective not because I was 'fooled' or any of that other shit ?

Not just now, I'm in a restaurant. And calm down

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Would you do me the honour of showing me these benefits. You suggest they're easy to find. Warning, it will include scrolling up and down on multiple pages.

Steady... I think s/he is struggling with this.

Ah, so 2 JCLs who want to start the thread from scratch. I can only assume the finger you use to run under the words as you read then is too sore to read all the posts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here