Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When there's a lunatic at the wheel, there's always a chance of being driven over the cliff!

The thing is I don't think anyone really knows quite how clever or stupid Johnson is. The problem is he has never worked hard enough or held a position long enough (whether it be career, personal, moral or political) for anyone to really assess what he's capable of. I'm guessing that he really doesn't know himself and is completely reliant on his innate arrogance to carry him through his complete lack of morality or conscientiousness.

Although after 50 odd years, I really can't see him changing now :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When there's a lunatic at the wheel, there's always a chance of being driven over the cliff!

some people arent grasping that possibility, and unless parliament or EU take action, it seems quite likely.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
One of Johnson's first acts in office.

Johnson - 'I'm going to chair a daily Brexit meeting to monitor how the preparations are going for no deal'

ANO - 'But PM, you will have other duties and you will want to spend time around the EU negotiating your Good deal. I'm not sure it's possible logistically for you to chair a daily meeting'

Johnson - 'Oh what ? ....right .... erm....fine....no problem ....err.... where's Michael ?'

(Allegedly :wink:)

Gove's first job

Then, while Gove tells us it's the top priority, Johnson tells us it's a one in a million chance. The plan is coming together nicely :lolol:

I think you are seriously overestimating our new leader :)

Programme last night on the failure of Crossrail.
Johnson was mayor and it was all being bigged up.
Johnson was invited to turn up to promote a clinical stage of the building and make a rousing speech.
Problem was that he not only did not write or order a speech but he didn't think that he would need to make one.
So, as he climbed up onto the stage, microphone in hand and hundreds waiting for him, he said " the time for speeches is over, we need to get on and finish this fantastic project, on time and on budget"
This is our Prime Minister.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Apparently there's a scenario emerging that involves

1. a motion of no -confidence in Johnson's govt

2. then rather than wait for Johnson to stall proceedings until the no deal date has expired (which some think he can do on the assumption that no govt could be formed within 2 weeks of the no- confidence vote)....

3. a govt of national unity is formed which then goes to the EU and requests a delay to the Brexit date to allow a General Election

This would mean that a govt couldn't take us out of the EU on a no deal basis without at least getting a mandate (even assuming that the Johnson govt then wins the GE). Surely no democrat could argue against Parliament acting in such a constitutionally responsible way to outwit the bulldozing Boris?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apparently there's a scenario emerging that involves

1. a motion of no -confidence in Johnson's govt

2. then rather than wait for Johnson to stall proceedings until the no deal date has expired (which some think he can do on the assumption that no govt could be formed within 2 weeks of the no- confidence vote)....

3. a govt of national unity is formed which then goes to the EU and requests a delay to the Brexit date to allow a General Election

This would mean that a govt couldn't take us out of the EU on a no deal basis without at least getting a mandate (even assuming that the Johnson govt then wins the GE). Surely no democrat could argue against Parliament acting in such a constitutionally responsible way to outwit the bulldozing Boris?

Parliament need to pull their finger out then. problem is they are split to many ways, those that want no-brexit, those that want a referendum, those that accept leaving with the current deal, those that would accept leaving with a altered deal(s). and those that want an election. no group has enough members or authority to drive forward any alternative. all talk no trousers. they dont seem to have the wit to agree on a course of action that postpones brexit, or the courage to stop it all together.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There were 2 things in The Sunday Times that interested me yesterday. Firstly, Stephen Bush's piece which contained this bit of analysis:

The problem is that a no-deal Brexit is not cost free — like quitting your job before you have a new one to go to. Even if it works out in the long run, there is always an immediate shock.

Supporters of the Brexit Party consistently tell pollsters — and many Tory MPs believe them — that they are willing to pay this price. There are two problems: the first is that most people who support no-deal simply don’t believe that there will be any economic cost. They think that the warnings from the Bank of England and the civil service are simply scaremongering.

The second problem is that, as politics has shown time and time again, while the voters will often claim that they are willing to pay for something, they tend to get angry once the bill shows up. They say they want better public services — but revolt when their taxes rise. They claim that they want action to tackle climate change — but just you try getting them to give up their car or their holiday flights. There is simply no reason to believe that voters are any more willing to get poorer for no-deal than they are to support any other political programme — and no reason to think they will thank the Conservatives when they do.

But no-deal remains the single most popular version of Brexit — and will stay that way, until it actually happens.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...he-middle-of-a-crisis-hjltb3552?region=global

Secondly and much more important than that was the feature interview, containing a picture on the front cover, in the magazine section with the longest serving female Blue Peter presenter ever, national treasure and TV per-so-nal-aarleetee Konnie Huq. I never knew this before, but apparently when she was younger she appeared as a contestant on Blockbusters with host, and fellow national treasure and TV per-so-nal-aarleetee Bob Holness in 1992. How cool is that?!

715713_connie_big_brother_8a005d88360c292f5dda82a87e443e1f.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here