Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Noticed the Mail ran a story on this yesterday, they had to dig up a case from 2010 to prove their point. Most tourists are working in the hospital, not using it...

Yes.
To give an example of missed appointments I know of a nurse who is involved with cervical smears tests. Two days in a week 50% of appointments were missed.
Our GP's surgery has a screen in the waiting room giving out information, and regularly updates the info about how many appointments were missed the previous month.
It's wasting money, but also preventing others who desperately need to see a doctor, or nurse, from doing so.

As for the Mail, Sun or Express, I wouldn't touch them let alone read them.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Thanks, so you're saying our health system will collapse? ,those heath tourists should shoulder some of the blame , what an insult to UK national insurance contributors
regards
DR

Health tourists? Ah I see you're back on the blaming immigrants just to break up your leave means leave mantra.

Got any more neo-nazi youtube channels to share with us Das Reich?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
15 million GP appointments are wasted each year costing more than £261million.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/2019/01/missed-gp-appointments-costing-nhs-millions/

8 million missed hospital appointments costing approx £1billion.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ealth-service-nurse-doctors-gps-a8137686.html

The NHS spends around £200m more every year on stationery than it does on health tourism.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-much-health-tourism-actually-9307953

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-health-tourism-cost-nhs-billions
According to the Department of Health some of the biggest culprits are British expats who live abroad but come back and use their old GP when they no longer live in the UK.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your question was why are the EU partly to blame - it was that I was answering. Cameron went and tried to negociate changes prior to the referendum .... the EU effectively told him to eff off. IMO, if they had agreed to change the outdated CAP and fisheries policy then the referendum would have been in favour of remain. The EU generally doesn't like change - well change of already agreed policies anyway. I wonder how up for stopping the move between their two sites they would be and thus saving taxpayers millions ? Ah, of course not.

Your point on the CAP and fisheries policy is well made, except neither of them were ever even on Call Me Dave's agenda for negotiation! I'd have had more respect for him if they were, but instead he trotted off to try and get exemptions on issues like sovereignty and regulation - and understandably came back with nothing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105

So you can hardly point the finger at the EU for these admittedly crap policies when the UK government barely raised eyebrows over them in Cameron's era, instead choosing to whinge embarrassingly at stuff like sovereignty and regulation.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who knows ,do you ?? More warnings ,I'd be a lot more worried if it was the five minute warning
Regards
DR

I don't care what economists, governments and anyone who seems to have any understanding says.

The Fairy wants us to leave NOW.

Support the Fairy- and the unicorns.

Rule Britannia. I'll get me tin hat out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Your point on the CAP and fisheries policy is well made, except neither of them were ever even on Call Me Dave's agenda for negotiation! I'd have had more respect for him if they were, but instead he trotted off to try and get exemptions on issues like sovereignty and regulation - and understandably came back with nothing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105

So you can hardly point the finger at the EU for these admittedly crap policies when the UK government barely raised eyebrows over them in Cameron's era, instead choosing to whinge embarrassingly at stuff like sovereignty and regulation.

Agreed ..... Cameron was crap !!!! He decided to try and make minor changes to appease his party rather than go for the wholesale changes needed within the EU. That said, if he couldn't get minor changes what are the chances of any UK PM getting the major changes required ? I'd suggest about as much chance of me waking up tomorrow to find a naked Mrs W and Kelly Brook in bed with me :wink:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed ..... Cameron was crap !!!! He decided to try and make minor changes to appease his party rather than go for the wholesale changes needed within the EU. That said, if he couldn't get minor changes what are the chances of any UK PM getting the major changes required ?
Probably a lot better than you think - he walked in framing his argument as a little-Englander. If he had instead walked in complaining of corruption, half the EU or more would have been on his side. There is stuff the EU has to change; those awful policies that prop up inefficient farmers and decimate fishing stock are good examples, as is the needless waste and corruption - but free movement, fair regulation and a single market are all very much strengths. The only ones to disagree are these dreadful Tory little Englander types that Cameron drippily tried to appease.

But regardless, you said this:
Maybe if the EU had agreed to proper changes with Cameron the referendum would have gone the other way.

and then this:
Your question was why are the EU partly to blame - it was that I was answering. Cameron went and tried to negociate changes prior to the referendum .... the EU effectively told him to eff off. IMO, if they had agreed to change the outdated CAP and fisheries policy then the referendum would have been in favour of remain.

Your argument against the EU is all over the place there - Cameron never went in to negotiate on the Cap/Fisheries policies, and they understandably gave him short thrift on the rubbish he did go complaining about. It makes you look as if you just blame the EU for everything that is wrong.

D

Deleted member 22389

CAP has been outdated for years - it benefits a minority of members and should have been reformed when the Eastern block joined. I do find ironic how one of the remain arguments has always been "We should stay and reform the EU from within" yet when it's pointed out the EU rejected reform it's "Why would the EU change because of difficulties in the UK" - those views are somewhat at odds with each other !

That's one of the reasons I voted to leave right there. There is no reform in the EU, as you know it's just about creating more and more laws binding countries ever deeper in to the EU with eventually having no way out. Who does the EU benefit the most, politicians, big business and law makers, everyone else has to live with the appalling decisions they make forever.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
6FD893E8-9A19-4AAE-99C5-67018CA741DB.png

This is where we are now.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

There's really no hope now, the Brexit lunatics took over the asylum a while back but I'm not surprised with her new level of thinking - Julia Hartley-Brewer is someone who once said there's no issue in regards to the Irish border because she managed to ski between Switzerland and France no problem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's one of the reasons I voted to leave right there. There is no reform in the EU, as you know it's just about creating more and more laws binding countries ever deeper in to the EU with eventually having no way out. Who does the EU benefit the most, politicians, big business and law makers, everyone else has to live with the appalling decisions they make forever.

Richard Corbett Labour MEP and reformed EU laws. Historical reforms, ongoing reforms and planned agenda (yes it is three years old, but there are other links as well)

https://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/reforming-the-eu/

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
View attachment 112065

Just for the late comers, this Murdoch puppet is talking about the Union of the United Kingdom, not the European Union.

Probably is right though if you want true Brexit you destroy the UK. And the benefit to us all of doing that is.......

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh goody...

[TWEET]1143902510580731906[/TWEET]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There's really no hope now, the Brexit lunatics took over the asylum a while back but I'm not surprised with her new level of thinking - Julia Hartley-Brewer is someone who once said there's no issue in regards to the Irish border because she managed to ski between Switzerland and France no problem.

Well good job some of us are still out here running businesses, employing people, paying taxes and wealth creating, whilst others are wringing their hands in despair and predicting the end of life as we know it, Jim. Expect mass suicides and emigration on November 1st 2019.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well good job some of us are still out here running businesses, employing people, paying taxes and wealth creating, whilst others are wringing their hands in despair and predicting the end of life as we know it, Jim. Expect mass suicides and emigration on November 1st 2019.

Is it all project fear/political correctness gone mad then? Tell me how a no deal Brexit is a viable runner then on 1st November? Or should I just have blind faith and 'believe in Britian'?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1144192735408271361[/TWEET]

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Is it all project fear/political correctness gone mad then? Tell me how a no deal Brexit is a viable runner then on 1st November? Or should I just have blind faith and 'believe in Britian'?

It was a bit tongue in cheek.
On a serious note, the economy is really struggling at the moment and a lot of businesses you talk to are trading at least 20-25% down on last year. The SME sector is just getting squeezed more and more by Central and Local government. We had a local official round recently to count the number of cars parked on our industrial estate, even though we own the site we trade from. Apparently, this will be weighted against us re business rates. Just another example of wringing every last drop of blood out of struggling businesses.
Irrespective of Brexit and its outcome, we need a new vision in this country, that starts to identify the real help that business needs. Not just a continuation of milking the cash cow to make up for other shortfalls.
There is a genuine concern over No Deal and my money is on a slightly revised deal and a further six month delay. This would tie in nicely with the start of the new tax year in the UK and an implementation date of April 1st would be quite appropriate.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1144253061759680515[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here