Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think that the WA will pass, just, with enough labour getting on board.

Either way it will be close this time!
Talk now that it is a dirty trick to get to *no deal* on May 22nd.

Pass it today, then fail to pass any of the following legislation, and it means we are out with *no deal* in May.

This has been rumbled, thankfully.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Were both results of those elections enacted? Obviously they are... Vote to leave = keep asking the question until you get the right answer, Vote Remain = game over.

The Government enacted the referendum result by negotiating a strategy to leave. This has been rejected by MPs, therefore if MPs cannot decide I believe the result should be pushed back to the people to decide whether they do want to leave with the deal that's been agreed or remain in the EU, both of which are entirely compatible with the vote as expressed in 2016.

I would also add that if you want to get really technical the 2017 result did not return a Conservative majority, and yet we are being ruled as if there were one, which in turn brings question marks as to whether that result was enacted. But that's splitting hairs.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Talk now that it is a dirty trick to get to *no deal* on May 22nd.

Pass it today, then fail to pass any of the following legislation, and it means we are out with *no deal* in May.

This has been rumbled, thankfully.

Owen Paterson is voting against it today so he can have a no deal on April 12th, but Iain Duncan Smith is voting for it as there'll be a long extension from May 22nd if it's defeated today which he to wants to avoid.

I sense a great disturbance in the Brexit backing, Tory Toff ERG force - as if 75 posh, oddball voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't understand how people who are vehemently opposed to the EU on the basis that it means we have ceded sovereignty (incorrectly IMO), can vote for / be happy with this deal.

This will almost certainly mean that we genuinely do end up cededing sovereignty, or at the very least the threat of that happening will prevent a positive outcome.

Take back control we already have by giving it away.

:mad:

They aren't 'happy' with it, they are voting for it because they think parliament will revoke, dilute Brexit or say we need two referendum votes to leave (only one to remain obviously) ... with some justification.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And this is why some violence is inevitable. Because too many Remainers continue to argue their point in such condescendingly pious ways, on such a highly emotive and divisive matter as Brexit. The country is a powder keg with bright sparks like you running around with matches. On today, of all days, it’s unbelievable how foolish many people can be, as if it was ever so simple? And you have the nerve to call me stupid with your demonstrable Master’s in Idiocy laid bare for everyone to see! Suggest you take some quick classes in diplomacy or better still keep your mouth shut in public. Couple hundred years ago I’m fairly certain someone would have run a sword through you, the country would have descend into civil war. Fortunately we’ve moved on but I wonder how many people will be killed in the next few months in Brexit related violence.

As a remainer, I think I agree with you. Watford zero is taking it all a little too far with that post IMO. I don't feel you deserved that.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The Government enacted the referendum result by negotiating a strategy to leave. This has been rejected by MPs, therefore if MPs cannot decide I believe the result should be pushed back to the people to decide whether they do want to leave with the deal that's been agreed or remain in the EU, both of which are entirely compatible with the vote as expressed in 2016.

It was a leave or remain referendum choice not a 'negotiate a strategy and have it confirmed in another referendum vote' question. Enacting the referendum result = leaving the EU.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Boooo - Didn't check the date.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It was a leave or remain referendum choice not a 'negotiate a strategy and have it confirmed in another referendum vote' question. Enacting the referendum result = leaving the EU.

Leave how? Which version of Brexit?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Top trolling!

[TWEET]980320102183788544[/TWEET]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You are correct, and the Conservatives could easily have us leave the EU any time they want - they just have to drop their absurd red lines which everybody else seems to have major problems with.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

It must be refreshing to see the world in black and white terms. The Government's agreement is the agreed process for leaving, and the only viable one. Therefore the Government is trying to push it through and finding itself blocked by the Commons. It could change the means of withdrawal to make it more palatable to Parliament (e.g. Customs Union / Single Market) but chooses not to do so. In that scenario it should take it back to the people as a choice with the only other viable option currently on the table.

Democracy does not stop at given moments, however much certain people like the result at any time and wish it could.

And as I feel like we keep having to remind you, one thing the referendum did not specify in any terms of "how".

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Leave how? Which version of Brexit?

A Brexit mainly defined by the majority, those who believed it was the best course of action and following the general themes of the campaign see 'take back control' .. not a BRINO second prize for remainers which satisfies no one.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I would also add that if you want to get really technical the 2017 result did not return a Conservative majority, and yet we are being ruled as if there were one, which in turn brings question marks as to whether that result was enacted. But that's splitting hairs.
Giving a vote of some kind to the general public is the only sensible and democratic way forward if May's deal fails again. Those who want to leave, and leave without a deal can still vote out if they choose to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here