Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Have you seen the amount of German cars on our roads?
What cars will the British people buy, if they can’t buy German, seeing as we have next to no domestic car manufacturers ourselves.

Yes but it's the issues a No deal causes which will cost the jobs. Interesting times for all involved.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. and this the problem, the actual technicality (which is piling up) not the wide sweeping remarks the like of Rees Mogg and Boris spout about how great it's gonna be.

Whether there will be winners and losers after the fact is somewhat irrelevant to multinational companies who:

1) Don't like uncertainty and an EU base now gives them certainties.
2) Can move very easily to another country where they already have offices and have "anywhere" technology. The IT support is offshore anyway.
3) They've considered moving before and Brexit uncertainty tips the balance.

Many companies have mirrored IT systems across Europe and can move very quickly.

I know of a company who transmitted some channels to an EU country from the UK. They decided they could save some cash by placing the editorial staff locally on a number of channels.

Redundancies and new staff in Warsaw in weeks all using the same software hosted in London.

It's that easy and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of other companies now do the same. Possibly not directly because of Brexit, but because they've put contingency plans in place and you know what - they look quite good :)

The broadcast is very used to getting people in another country to do their stuff. At the moment London is dominant but that could change very very quickly.

Netflix (who the whole industry is sh***** themselves over) are taking over Europe by basing themselves in Amsterdam. Clever people.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm surprised it's taken them this long to run out of patience with our useless Tory fckwitts.

To be fair, he is the face of Europe that made me *think* about voting leave. I didn't.

He is an ultra europhile. He doesn't want an extension there will never be another vote. I suspect he has already been told to shut the #### up by his calmer colleagues.

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
All in Germany, they are pressuring Merkel. Other big firms also joining in 150k jobs at risk if no deal to the great German empire. All to do with loss of exports

BMW stated they will move Mini production to The Netherlands in the event of of no deal. There will be job losses in the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair, he is the face of Europe that made me *think* about voting leave. I didn't.

I agree. Nobody has said the EU is perfect, but it is better to cooperate & work with our neighbours than to draw up the drawbridge, put our fingers in our ears, and sing we don't need you, near ner ne ner ner.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'm not going for the old 'all Brexiteers are thick trope', but I really wonder what percentage of the electorate (leavers and remainers) have even a basic understanding of these complexities?

If I had to put a figure on it, I'd say approximately 80% of leavers are demonstrably intellectually challenged. One of the main indicators in my view is the standard of literacy displayed in leaver posts. To give an example:

I’ll put it into plane English!

Here we have a poster using a condescending trope commonly used to disparage the target of the author's ire. Needing to put something into "plain English" implies that the target of your retort is of insufficient intellectual capacity to have mastered even one basic language. His native language in fact. Now, having decided to use this trope.....and to then ironically demonstrate in the act of writing the phrase that you don't even know the correct spelling of "plain" and have mistakenly written its homonym "plane" shows a very special type of stupidity. A nailed on demonstration of The Dunning-Kruger effect in action no less.

That was just an example but I'd say (pulling a figure out of thin air) that approximately 80% of Brexiteer posts on here show similar flags that indicate an insufficient intellectual capacity to debate the issue with any degree of robustness. As such I have put approximately 80% of Brexit posters on this thread on ignore and the above poster, by such a stunning demonstration of linguistic ineptness has now prompted me to add him to said ignore list.

He's in bad company.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
BMW stated they will move Mini production to The Netherlands in the event of of no deal. There will be job losses in the UK.

It's all very well for the idiotic likes of PPF to type his childish We are on our way!!! crap or for others to spout that it'll be a short term upheaval but for long term gain. I can't imagine they'd be so cocky if they were sat opposite a bunch of Mini factory workers of 30 years who are 5 years away from retirement or have just bought their first house and started a family.
Honestly, the crass I'm alright Jack attitude of some Leave voters is disgusting.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree. Nobody has said the EU is perfect, but it is better to cooperate & work with our neighbours than to draw up the drawbridge, put our fingers in our ears, and sing we don't need you, near ner ne ner ner.

Problem with that nutter is that he thinks the EU is perfect. How on earth he is in that position is beyond me.The EU can't seem to be self reflective and understand why a country would think about leaving...

Within the whole Brexit conundrum people like him are as much to blame as the raving right of the Tory party.

.. and don't start me on Corbyn.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Problem with that nutter is that he thinks the EU is perfect. How on earth he is in that position is beyond me.The EU can't seem to be self reflective and understand why a country would think about leaving...

Within the whole Brexit conundrum people like him are as much to blame as the raving right of the Tory party.

.. and don't start me on Corbyn.

Yep on all three accounts, and as for that plonker in the States.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep on all three accounts, and as for that plonker in the States.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

And a friend of mine has a very good theory. One downside of the internet is that people can happily consume what they agree with all day (even if wrong) and are have forgotten what it's like to be challenged.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum, but people have voted them in.

It's also had an effort on creating a "snowflake" generation (there is some truth in that) who refuse to debate.

My advice to everyone is read something you don't agree with.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All in Germany, they are pressuring Merkel. Other big firms also joining in 150k jobs at risk if no deal to the great German empire. All to do with loss of exports

We have a million jobs at risk if the Tories f**k up Brexit with their red lines and dunce deal with the DUP

For the Germans they will see a temporary contraction if UK goes off a cliff, until the ROW picks up the slack. For example, the FTA between EU and Japan opens up a market double the size of the UK.

For us, if automotive goes, it goes forever. We don't own it, and if we create friction and costs we're screwed

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's also had an effort on creating a "snowflake" generation (there is some truth in that) who refuse to debate.

My advice to everyone is read something you don't agree with.

Snowflakes like the brexit bunch who want their non-European safe space?

That was very quick confirmation that your theory is correct !

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Yes the likes of Sunderland and Middlesbrough will in all likelihood be badly hit. Why did they vote for Brexit? They were 'warned'. Usually when someone puts principle over self-interest it's something to be admired. But you just wonder whether

a) they fully understood the issues (i.e. they simply didn't hear the warnings or couldn't process them)
b) they were falsely complacent ('it couldn't happen here')
c) they swallowed the Brexit package whole and saw a net gain
d) they thought that they were doing something patriotic

It's certainly an odd one and the comparison with turkeys, votes and Xmas springs to mind...….

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes the likes of Sunderland and Middlesbrough will in all likelihood be badly hit. Why did they vote for Brexit? They were 'warned'. Usually when someone puts principle over self-interest it's something to be admired. But you just wonder whether

a) they fully understood the issues (i.e. they simply didn't hear the warnings or couldn't process them)
b) they were falsely complacent ('it couldn't happen here')
c) they swallowed the Brexit package whole and saw a net gain
d) they thought that they were doing something patriotic

It's certainly an odd one and the comparison with turkeys, votes and Xmas springs to mind...….

It didn't help when Jeremy Corbyn stands at a conference framed by a promise Not a single job will be lost in the NorthEast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here