Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They will only join if they meet the 35 criteria. If they met the criteria then Turkey would be a very different country to the one it is now. There is absolutely no chance of this happening any time soon but if it did it would be a good thing as Turkey would have been completely reformed (likelihood at the moment zero).

The article is about Johnson & Gove LYING about this. Which you've conveniently ignored and instead picked a sentence out that fits your agenda. Ergo, myopic nonsense.

The article is much more than simply about Gove or Johnson,it labels people who are against turkey joining,it doesint understand the basics of controlled immigration (pulling up the drawbridge),you carry on cherry picking what you only want to hear.
Good to see though you are finally seeing the light and realising Turkey WILL eventually join.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It is moving down the process for entry which is why the EU is giving them €4.5 Billion (some of it our money) to make further progress. It has according to the BBC European Referendum fact checking site made the most progress of all of the seven candidate countries. Yes only one chapter has been completed but In only four of the 35 Chapters has no preparation/progress been made.

The accession process will be re-energised, with Chapter 33 to be opened during the Dutch Presidency of the Council of the European Union and preparatory work on the opening of other chapters to continue at an accelerated pace;

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-963_en.htm?locale=en

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36153200

As others have said we should all think long term, Turkey may not be ready to join now but in 5 or 10 years can anyone guarantee they won't be?
Interesting that you didn't post this link from the same site that completely debunks the idea that Turkey will be joining "in five or ten years" and points out that every country has a veto.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35832035

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The article is much more than simply about Gove or Johnson,it labels people who are against turkey joining,it doesint understand the basics of controlled immigration (pulling up the drawbridge),you carry on cherry picking what you only want to hear.
Good to see though you are finally seeing the light and realising Turkey WILL eventually join.
You clearly either can't read or are being willfully ignorant in order to ignore the facts. The article is about LYING. Which you haven't addressed in any of your posts.

Read everything else I've posted if you think I've "seen the light" on the Turkey non issue.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Yeah. Like strict targets having to be met before countries make the biggest financial decision of their existence, like Eurozone countries have to keep within strict deficit limits in order for a single exchange rate to be effective, like Germany can't act ultra vires in dipping into ring-fenced funds.

The last line of that article says that Turkey is not joining the EU so Brexiteers should shut up but the ones who kicked off this argument and who are still saying that they want Turkey in Europe are Cameron, Merkel and suchlike who have been enthusiastic about Turkish membership. So please, just indulge me if I worry about Merkel's support for Turkish entry because past history suggests Germany usually get their way and to hell with any criteria.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Interesting that you didn't post this link from the same site that completely debunks the idea that Turkey will be joining "in five or ten years" and points out that every country has a veto.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35832035

I believe France have said they would also hold referendum on it, and currently the public are against it.

Turkey would need to deal with Cyprus

Admit to the crimes committed in Armenia

Change it Democratic process

Deal with its Human Rights issues

Their Prime Minster has said they would be no where near meeting the 30 odd chapters top allow disusisions until 2023 at the earliest

Thats just for starters - I dont know what people have against the Turks, it would also make Europe the biggest and valuable marketplace

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You clearly either can't read or are being willfully ignorant in order to ignore the facts. The article is about LYING. Which you haven't addressed in any of your posts.

Read everything else I've posted if you think I've "seen the light" on the Turkey non issue.

i have
you said Turkey wont join anytime soon
clearly leaving the alternative that Turkey Will eventually join

if you dont think Turkey will ever join the EU you would have said Turkey will never ever be a part of the EU......but you didnt

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I'm not normally one to praise Labourites but what a brilliant orator Brendan Chilton, from your neck of the woods, is. If you're on the left (or right) and not sure about The E.U. have a listen to Labour Leave's Mr Chilton.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
i have
you said Turkey wont join anytime soon
clearly leaving the alternative that Turkey Will eventually join

if you dont think Turkey will ever join the EU you would have said Turkey will never ever be a part of the EU......but you didnt
Sick of repeating myself. Veto. 35 chapters. Country having to be completely reformed etc etc etc

Your modus operandi is to pick on one statement and ignore anything and everything else. It's very boring and adds absolutely nothing to the debate.

Turkey as it is will never join the EU. OK for you?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I dont know what people have against the Turks

Its a numbers game
we are already creaking under the strain of very large numbers entering the country.If free movement from the EU isnt addressed this will continue unabated.
imagine how much we will be creaking in 20 or 30 years time with these continuous figures when Turkey is ready to join. Its a huge population now,in 30 years time even greater.The potential numbers coming from there will just add to the strain.
Given also successive governments have failed to keep our services and infrastructure up to speed with the rising population i dont hold much hope shaking the money tree will solve this problem in the short or even long term unless you can try and control the numbers

People claiming being anti Turkey joining is somehow racist or Islamophobic are just lazy and dont want to see the bigger picture.(not you)

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Like we could stop the collateral fund being robbed to pay for the Greek bailout? This chart is an excellent indication of just how much influence we have in the Council of Ministers. It charts the number of times countries have been on the losing vote.

24zaaae.png

We're the 2nd highest net contributor but we have absolutely no influence at all. None. Anyway, if we vote Brexit then Turkey's EU membership won't be our problem.

If you're right that it indicates numbers, your chart appears to show that we have been on the losing side more than 12 (but less than 13) times in the past six years. Out of how many votes is this?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The European continent is in crisis. Many old and proud nation states are teetering on the edge of economic collapse and are threatened with the rise of political extremism from both sides of the spectrum.
Britain is not in a position to prevent their coming troubles -- we can only ensure we are not caught up in the ensuing chaos.
Over the past 6 years, our news screens have been filled with the plight of Greece, but it’s not Greece we should worry about. Greece’s economy is small. Its collapse and the subsequent default on its debt would be painful, but manageable. This is not true for other ticking time bomb economies in the EU.
Conventional wisdom says when a country’s debt reaches 100 percent of the value of its economy, it becomes highly likely it will default on its debt in the future. This is the stage France and Spain are about to reach, with Italy having broken this particular barrier a long time ago.
Their total combined debt is around $7 trillion, or just under 3 times the value of the UK economy. Nearly half the Italian government’s debt is due to be paid in the next 2 years. This is simply not going to happen. At some point in the future at least one of these countries is likely to default on its debts, or require a bailout in order to prevent it.
In all likelihood, it could well be two or even all three of them. This is a debt crisis over ten times larger than Greece’s, and Britain was forced to pay £billions to Greece with little hope of ever seeing those £billions again.
If we vote to Remain in the European Union, Britain will be forced to stump up billions to contribute to these bailouts. This is not money Britain has stored away in the bank. This would mean we would have to borrow from global financial markets, burdening our children and grandchildren with the legacy of French and Italian financial mismanagement.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I simply do not understand why anyone would want to leave the EU.
The facts seem clear. My only doubt would be if in the future we would be forced to join the Euro. However, in that case we would probably have another referendum as the principle foundation of this one would have change.
I speak as someone who works on a daily basis with immigrants in a city which would not function without them.
The poll at 55/45 to stay seems to me to be a good bet on the final result.

@ Soulman, for goodness sake why do you think we will be asked to bail out and possible future financial problems?
We are not in the Euro. When you look at NF can you seriously believe in his competence and credibility? So many intelligent posters who seem to have jumped on the panic wagon and believe any of rubbish be it true or not.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Its a numbers game
we are already creaking under the strain of very large numbers entering the country.If free movement from the EU isnt addressed this will continue unabated.
imagine how much we will be creaking in 20 or 30 years time with these continuous figures when Turkey is ready to join. Its a huge population now,in 30 years time even greater.The potential numbers coming from there will just add to the strain.
Given also successive governments have failed to keep our services and infrastructure up to speed with the rising population i dont hold much hope shaking the money tree will solve this problem in the short or even long term unless you can try and control the numbers

People claiming being anti Turkey joining is somehow racist or Islamophobic are just lazy and dont want to see the bigger picture.

Indeed,I did some number crunching with a bloke at work today,who thought the population of England was around 35 million

in fact it's 55 million and 4 times smaller than France

put into numbers

France has 300 people per square mile,England has 1,000

when I calculated to him that's like France having a population of over 200 million,he couldn't believe it,impossible he said

I also asked him why all the migrants are gathering in places like Calais,surely the South of France is better than anywhere in the UK???

of course he had no answer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here