Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Couldn’t quite use the full line could you……. “you are finally realising we are leaving, and your frustration that you have run out of options to to stop it”
Always having to do a little bit of editing to suit like the good lib dem Europhile weasel you are. Its quite clear from your postings you are resigned to leaving now as your options to stop it, which you have enthusiastically pushed for, have run out and did quite a while ago.
But you are correct in that you have never been a “Brexit wont happen” loon like Watford or clamp. But I have never accused you of that.

You're playing at semantics again, badly. Using the full quotation makes no difference to your implication that I had said Brexit won't happen. I suspect you only claimed it did so you could use one of the primary school chants we all know you for.

For the record I am indeed largely* resigned to leaving and always have been. I suspect I have been of that view for longer than you have.

However, if you think that that view is inconsistent with doing what little I can to support those who still hope for another look at the issue of Brexit then I would say you are wrong. When you tell me that that makes me a hypocritical lying moronic anti-democratic Europhile weasel then I think you are wrong (although your words do make you look like a sad and excitable man with certain issues).

* A while back I offered my thoughts on what it likely to happen with the Brexit process. For it not to happen a series of events needs to occur. Not all of those events are impossible but in my view it is unlikely that all of them will take place. It is rather like a six race accumulator that includes a couple of outsiders.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You're playing at semantics again, badly. Using the full quotation makes no difference to your implication that I had said Brexit won't happen. I suspect you only claimed it did so you could use one of the primary school chants we all know you for.

For the record I am indeed largely* resigned to leaving and always have been. I suspect I have been of that view for longer than you have.

However, if you think that that view is inconsistent with doing what little I can to support those who still hope for another look at the issue of Brexit then I would say you are wrong. When you tell me that that makes me a hypocritical lying moronic anti-democratic Europhile weasel then I think you are wrong (although your words do make you look like a sad and excitable man with certain issues).

* A while back I offered my thoughts on what it likely to happen with the Brexit process. For it not to happen a series of events needs to occur. Not all of those events are impossible but in my view it is unlikely that all of them will take place. It is rather like a six race accumulator that includes a couple of outsiders.

yes i have certain issues with undemocratic loons, thanks for the confirmation i already knew.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Three friends of mine, two from Italy and one from Lithuania, have said that to me. These are people who have been here between 10-20 years and have added to the wealth, brainpower and culture of this country (and whose kids see themselves as British). They believe they are treated differently now by many, that people vent their spleen as they are foriegn.

My daughter-in-law is Polish. She has as far as I know never taken a single benefit payment and whilst looking for a job that would meet her skill-set, worked as a cleaner. She has co-produced a beautiful daughter (who at 2 is bi-lingual) and now is in an occupation where she plays a part in the UK's much-needed drive to boost our exports. I would have been a Remainer anyway (for all sorts of reasons) but this has been a particularly meaningful experience for me. And don't get me started on the Polish squadrons' contribution to the RAF in the war!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
My daughter-in-law is Polish. She has as far as I know never taken a single benefit payment and whilst looking for a job that would meet her skill-set, worked as a cleaner. She has co-produced a beautiful daughter (who at 2 is bi-lingual) and now is in an occupation where she plays a part in the UK's much-needed drive to boost our exports. I would have been a Remainer anyway (for all sorts of reasons) but this has been a particularly meaningful experience for me. And don't get me started on the Polish squadrons' contribution to the RAF in the war!

It’s stories like that which are so inspiring. People like your daughter in law add so much to this country, we need more people with drive and resilience and who want to make a difference to our communities and compliment the great talent we have from people born here. With an ageing population it’s a necessity. Our reputation is being tarnished at the moment

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Cool
But what does that have to do with controlling the borders and managing the numbers coming in.
I know a polish girl that came here 15 years ago, qualified pharmacist but there was no work so worked in a pub for 10 years. She finally got a job as a pharmacist a few years ago. Her friend with the same qualifications came over a couple of years ago and got a job straight away as a pharmacist .
We obviously have a shortage of homegrown pharmacists....... a good immigration policy will identify these shortfalls and address them and should give incentives for our young to train in an industry where there is need. This to me seems sensible to get our youth into work or offer opportunities for the unemployed to retrain.
For thinking like this though i am labelled a racist and xenophobe............how the frack does that make sense?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm not disagreeing with 90% of your post but the benefit bit - well surely she's claimed child benefit ?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

She sounds a delightful girl. I also work with some poles,one in particular is a good man. However all is not well in Poland.
https://www.economist.com/europe/2018/06/20/polands-president-wants-a-referendum-on-the-eu
I'm not saying they will leave but there is resentment.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm not disagreeing with 90% of your post but the benefit bit - well surely she's claimed child benefit ?

Her and her husbands income may negate the need and eligibility. Or perhaps her British husband did for their British born, British daughter. :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We obviously have a shortage of homegrown pharmacists....... a good immigration policy will identify these shortfalls and address them and should give incentives for our young to train in an industry where there is need. This to me seems sensible to get our youth into work or offer opportunities for the unemployed to retrain

We have shortages in lots of sectors. I'd love to know where all the money for your incentives and training places and willing and able youth to train, if required, and fill them are coming from anytime soon. As The NHS training bursary for nurses was scrapped due to cost, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Sure, yes - for her British daughter.

I was really just making the point in the context of the discussion on immigration, specifically from the EU. There are so many EU migrants who have made their lives here and are upset and worried about their post-Brexit future. Some of these have already left and many of them take with them skills that we shall now be seeking elsewhere (or as Pasta rightly points out - internally, although even if you buy in to his argument there will be a training time-lag, or an inelasticity of labour supply as economists would say).

Of course I'm not saying that this in itself invalidates the Brexit vote but it's one of those iffy consequences that might have been more fully appreciated at the time of the vote.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
you thought "brexit wont happen"

you've been repeating the same lies for ever,

Really not lies chum, what about the poll back in feb this year where you (and others) voted for "brexit wont happen we will remain in the EU"

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?361788-Will-Brexit-Actually-Happen&highlight=

watford plank.jpg

You described on that thread as well how brexit wouldnt happen to back up your stance?

May will negotiate the softest of soft Brexits, but won't go through with it without a referendum.

There will be a 3 way referendum - May's Soft Brexit, The no deal exit, and withdraw article 50.

33% Soft Brexit, 33% No deal, 34% withdraw article 50.

We'll stay in and everyone will be happy because it was done democratically ???

And you want to maintain you never had the position "brexit wont happen"
Do frack off

What position are you holding next week?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s astonishing that given to what extent the Leave voters have been lied to, betrayed, conned and let down by those they put their blind faith in, they are still chuffed we are leaving. Especially in the manner it is heading. I’d be furious if I was one of that mob. But I suppose if you were gullible enough to vote leave you don’t want to lose face again by admitting you don’t want it anymore. Stubborn.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We have shortages in lots of sectors. I'd love to know where all the money for your incentives and training places and willing and able youth to train, if required, and fill them are coming from anytime soon. As The NHS training bursary for nurses was scrapped due to cost, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Typical
Acknowledges a problem but can only find negatives in addressing it.

This is the difference between leavers and remainers

Leavers- its going to be a tough challenge but we can do this
Remainers- cant do that its too difficult, lets not bother

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Typical
Acknowledges a problem but can only find negatives in addressing it.

This is the difference between leavers and remainers

Leavers- its going to be a tough challenge but we can do this
Remainers- cant do that its too difficult, lets not bother

It's difficult to address problems when you've got never ending austerity and the resources to deal with them aren't there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here