Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I never said I didn't. You have to have the option to remain as the process should not be open ended. If it is we could end up in decades of limbo negotiations that are no longer taken seriously. It allows people to agree to leave given the deal at hand, many people will be ok to leave given certain comditions (myself included). Or are you happy with ANY deal that gets agreed to?
It is not a snapshot as we could begin it again if the will is there.

The process isn't open ended - we leave in March with or without a deal. You're only wanting a second referendum because you want to over turn leaving. There wasn't a second referendum in 1975 so there shouldn't be now. Also many remainers on here have clearly stated there shouldn't be ANY referendums because the public are too stupid to be able to understand. Yet all of a sudden there's calls.for another. It all smacks of bad losers.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The process isn't open ended - we leave in March with or without a deal. You're only wanting a second referendum because you want to over turn leaving. There wasn't a second referendum in 1975 so there shouldn't be now. Also many remainers on here have clearly stated there shouldn't be ANY referendums because the public are too stupid to be able to understand. Yet all of a sudden there's calls.for another. It all smacks of bad losers.

If only all leavers spoke with one voice, we might not be in the mess that we are now. The reality if the is a wide spectrum of what leave and remain means, and what the best process is.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
VoteLeave broke the law. This is a petition to rescind Article 50, because of the illegality. You can see the numbers visibly rising and rising.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/223729

I see the gov gave a response to your petition.......ouch

The British people voted to leave the EU and the Government respects that decision. We have always been clear that as a matter of policy our notification under Article 50 will not be withdrawn.

The British people voted to leave the EU, and it is the duty of the Government to deliver on their instruction. There can be no attempt to stay in the EU.

The result of the referendum held on 23 June 2016 saw a majority of people vote to leave the European Union. This was the biggest democratic mandate for a course of action ever directed at any UK Government. Following this, Parliament authorised the Prime Minister to trigger Article 50, passing the EU (Notification of Withdrawal) Act.

In last year’s General Election, over 80% of people then voted for parties committing to respecting the result of the referendum. It was the stated policy of both major parties that the decision of the people would be respected. The Government is clear that it is now its duty to implement the will of the electorate.

This was not a decision made after just a few weeks of campaigning, but one that came after a debate that had taken place both in Parliament and across the country for decades.

We are committed to making a success of the British people’s decision to leave the European Union. And that is how we have always approached the negotiations - anticipating success, not failure. It is vital that we try to reach an agreement that builds a strong relationship between Britain and the EU as neighbours, allies and partners. Not just for those who voted to leave but for every citizen of the United Kingdom. We were given a national mandate and this Government is determined to deliver a deal in the national interest.

As the Prime Minister has said: “This is about more than the decision to leave the EU; it is about whether the public can trust their politicians to put in place the decision they took.” The British people can trust this Government to honour the referendum result and get the best deal possible. To do otherwise would be to undermine the decision of the British people. The premise that the people can trust their politicians to deliver on the promises they make and will deliver them in Parliament is fundamental to our democracy.

Our focus is making a success of Brexit and attempting to get the best deal possible. A deal that is in the interests of both the United Kingdom and the European Union. And one that takes in both economic and security cooperation.

It is the Government’s duty to deliver the will of the people and reach a desirable final outcome.

Department for Exiting the European Union.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Meanwhile I think I'm going to add the term 'frictionless trade' to my glossary of Brexit bullshit terms.

I would go for the correct terminology that has been used “ frictionless trade possible” or “frictionless trade as possible”, not simply frictionless trade. Im sure you don’t want the label of being some bog standard remoaner twatter user who moves the goalposts ever so slightly to suit an argument.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You may also want to keep your fingers in your ears for a good few months, because I can guarantee you won't be happy at the outcome of this clusterf*** you've created.

What outcome can you guarantee in a few months? Hold on, don’t tell me……you are reverting back to your other position (keeping your multiple options open) that brexit wont happen and we will remain in the EU even though you were forced to give up that folly thinking once already.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
At least we are taking back control. When the European laws come to be re-written, the millions upon millions of pages of caveats and clauses will be debated and haggled over costing billions in international lawyer fees who will then hand the proposed Bill to an MP that you have a less than 50% chance of having voted for who will waive it through without having read it because they simply will not have time, over to the unelected Lords who can pass it back if it doesn't suit their agenda. Yep, we really are in control again.

Complete gibberish.............dismissed.
Just another “brexit wont happen” dunce with nonsense bouncing around in his head..

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I would go for the correct terminology that has been used “ frictionless trade possible” or “frictionless trade as possible”, not simply frictionless trade. Im sure you don’t want the label of being some bog standard remoaner twatter user who moves the goalposts ever so slightly to suit an argument.

Please redirect your pedantry to Jeremy Hunt:
'It is possible to have that frictionless trade that we all want, that prosperous economy, at the same time as getting back control of our destiny,' (Mail on-line)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
it's all been said, the vote was to leave ,what can't you accept about that ?, the only people repeating them selves are the project fear team :tumble:
regards
DR

I can't accept cheating liars who broke the law.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
what about the people that voted leave ?

regards
DR

They believed the lies. Even the Leave politicians are saying there is no Brexit dividend, in fact, Rees-Mogg says it's going to take 50 years before things get better.

VoteLeave broke the law and the whole thing is corrupt.

Jan 30, 2008
They believed the lies. Even the Leave politicians are saying there is no Brexit dividend, in fact, Rees-Mogg says it's going to take 50 years before things get better.

YES OF COURSE, PEOPLE ROCKED UP TO THE POLLING STATION AFTER BEING BRAINWASHED INTO HOW THAY SHOULD VOTE , priceless :dunce:
regards
DR

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Please redirect your pedantry to Jeremy Hunt:
'It is possible to have that frictionless trade that we all want, that prosperous economy, at the same time as getting back control of our destiny,' (Mail on-line)

I would much rather direct my pedantry at you so you can use the correct terminology, I dont know if i can get through to Mr Hunt as i am not a constituent Its no excuse you saying you are just learning from a bad example. No doubt you will use the correct terminology from now on.

T May Lancaster House speech Jan 2017 on negotiating objectives

“But I also want tariff-free trade with Europe and cross-border trade there to be as frictionless as possible

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...ating-objectives-for-exiting-the-eu-pm-speech

Department of Exiting EU policy paper Aug 2017

“which includes securing the freest and most frictionless trade possible in goods and services, to the benefit of all.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/position-papers-published-ahead-of-round-three-negotiations

T May Mansion House speech March 2018

“frictionless a border as possible
“trade at the UK-EU border should be as frictionless as possible

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...-economic-partnership-with-the-european-union

Gov White Paper july 2018 Chequers

“When the UK leaves the EU we aim to have as seamless and frictionless a border as possible between Northern Ireland and Ireland”

“The Government will prioritise securing the freest and most frictionless trade possible in goods and services between the UK and the EU. We will not be seeking membership of the Single Market,”

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nd-new-partnership-with-the-european-union--2

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I can't accept cheating liars who broke the law.

fcffa55cd06d38f081973b42ab0771c1.jpg

Well this one resigned within hours of being rumbled.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I didnt realise the referral to the police had already resulted in a conclusion of their investigation and resulted in a conviction considering the accused side are/were seeking legal representation on the decision.
Do you have the link?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
frictionless as possible

Best crack on with the all infrastructure required for frictionless as possible trade outside of a customs union and free trade area. Love to know where it's all going to be built, where the money is coming from and when it'll be ready by.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I would much rather direct my pedantry at you so you can use the correct terminology, I dont know if i can get through to Mr Hunt as i am not a constituent Its no excuse you saying you are just learning from a bad example. No doubt you will use the correct terminology from now on.

T May Lancaster House speech Jan 2017 on negotiating objectives

“But I also want tariff-free trade with Europe and cross-border trade there to be as frictionless as possible

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...ating-objectives-for-exiting-the-eu-pm-speech

Department of Exiting EU policy paper Aug 2017

“which includes securing the freest and most frictionless trade possible in goods and services, to the benefit of all.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/position-papers-published-ahead-of-round-three-negotiations

T May Mansion House speech March 2018

“frictionless a border as possible
“trade at the UK-EU border should be as frictionless as possible

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...-economic-partnership-with-the-european-union

Gov White Paper july 2018 Chequers

“When the UK leaves the EU we aim to have as seamless and frictionless a border as possible between Northern Ireland and Ireland”

“The Government will prioritise securing the freest and most frictionless trade possible in goods and services between the UK and the EU. We will not be seeking membership of the Single Market,”

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nd-new-partnership-with-the-european-union--2

Wow you are a man on a mission. It only took me 30 seconds to locate one Cabinet minister who had used the term 'incorrectly'. I won't succumb to the temptation of trawling through and finding more. I think the point is that is it either a BS phrase or almost totally without meaning in practical terms - 'as possible' simple means what someone wants it to mean. It is almost a truism.

Let's agree:

1. the degree of frictionless trade achieved in the deal can be measured by the deviation from what currently exists.
2. any deal will be a deviation from what currently exists
3. ergo there will be more friction

4. the govt will claim that it is the best deal possible

5. thus the degree of frictionless trade will be (by the govt's definition) the best possible

Is this a fair interpretation? I think it does tend to point to the meaninglessness of the phrase but I stand to be corrected.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What outcome can you guarantee in a few months? Hold on, don’t tell me……you are reverting back to your other position (keeping your multiple options open) that brexit wont happen and we will remain in the EU even though you were forced to give up that folly thinking once already.

You're back. I'm pleased as I was worried that maybe you had gone blind.

And a little tip - try and keep your lies consistent. (It makes it a little harder for people to actually pin you down as an idiot, not much harder, but a little) :thumbsup:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Leading Brexiteers who have suggested a 2nd Referendum after Brexit negotiations concluded. Does anybody in the British Governement have a concrete idea in their heads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGd5UImJNE

The only trouble is: "Tory ****s turn out to be two-faced liars" is so common these days it's barely newsworthy any more, let alone a headline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here