Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. In my view, the failure of an arrogant EU and a feeble Call Me Dave to address and negotiate this issue are directly responsible for Brexit. Without this issue, I don't think Brexit would have been voted for and for this reason alone, the Brexit negotiators should have targetted a soft Brexit where the UK was closely aligned to the EU where possible but with a red line over border control.

Had Britain's net migration problems been caused exclusively by inward EU migration then Cameron might have been able to argue for a cap on numbers, say 0.3% of total population per annum, so c. 195,000 per year. The cap could give national parliaments the ability to restrict net inward migration once a limit had been reached.

If the EU carries on as is with complete free movement then in 50 years countries like Romania will be starved of people of working age and therefore face a crisis with infrastructure and caring for their elderly, while Germany will become more and more overcrowded and hoover up capital, much like London does vis a vis the rest of the UK.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I suspect the Remain campaign were taking some notice of the Scot referendum - i.e sensible Scots not wanting to leap into the unknown and with the well documented fiscal risks. Personally I think 'Project Fear' (oh how I hate that term) reflected this. But it rather backfired - or was made to by the Leave campaigners. Perhaps folk north of the border are just that bit brighter than us lot.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I suspect the Remain campaign were taking some notice of the Scot referendum - i.e sensible Scots not wanting to leap into the unknown and with the well documented fiscal risks. Personally I think 'Project Fear' (oh how I hate that term) reflected this. But it rather backfired - or was made to by the Leave campaigners. Perhaps folk north of the border are just that bit brighter than us lot.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
The far more important question is what silly name do we give the leavers if there were another referendum and the result is remain. It has to be at least as cringe as "remoaners".

It still makes me facepalm pretty hard that people call all this stamping feet and whining until they get their own way though, when the remain vote had an entire political party devoted to doing exactly that. It was literally Farages MO.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Does anybody really think that leaving or staying in the EU is going to make any difference a hundred years from now.
Does anybody really think that the EU won't make a deal especially as we buy more from them than they do from us, unless of course they are determined to cut off their noses and make an example of any country daring to leave.
and does anybody really think that an independent Britain can't cut it in the world and will turn overnight into a banana republic when non EU countries Switzerland, Norway and Iceland are thriving and have some of the highest living standards on the planet.

For me, I umd and ahhd and eventually came down on the leave side, if there were to be another referendum I would vote leave even more so after seeing how the Mafia EU is reacting to a Brexit vote, why on earth would anybody want to be a part of this organisation.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Does anybody really think that leaving or staying in the EU is going to make any difference a hundred years from now.
Does anybody really think that the EU won't make a deal especially as we buy more from them than they do from us, unless of course they are determined to cut off their noses and make an example of any country daring to leave.
and does anybody really think that an independent Britain can't cut it in the world and will turn overnight into a banana republic when non EU countries Switzerland, Norway and Iceland are thriving and have some of the highest living standards on the planet.

For me, I umd and ahhd and eventually came down on the leave side, if there were to be another referendum I would vote leave even more so after seeing how the Mafia EU is reacting to a Brexit vote, why on earth would anybody want to be a part of this organisation.

I think I can detect 4 questions in your post and they deserve answers:
1. Yes (for better or worse). And none of us will be around to find out.
2. A deal is not 100% certain. Any deal will be inferior to the current one.
3. Agreed: not a banana republic but neither are will we thrive; we will lose current access to a huge market and have no guarantees that we can find new ones.

4. 27 other nations currently do.

I think the UK and the EU are heading for a lose-lose ............and we started it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It was a pity that France got the submarine contract and not us, but surely this doesn't mean that France has a free trade agreement with Australia any more than the fact that the UK sells a Range Rover to America every few minutes means that we have a similar agreement with the USA?

You are being obtuse.We only need a few trade DEALS to keep a relatively free flow with the 5 EU countries we actually trade with,not a Trade Agreement with the whole EU.For example.a Power-Train agreement with Germany would keep the flow of JIT motor parts moving.Why would we need a deal with Malta or the Czech Republic?Then EU countries who need a deal,like the Irish Republic just have to ask politely and we might let their trucks through our ports.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Did you mean know-nothing? I reckon those Professors are both called Bob.

I'm afraid my keyboard might have developed a stutter,but know-nothing works just as well.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I think I can detect 4 questions in your post and they deserve answers:

A deal is not 100% certain. Any deal will be inferior to the current one.
Yes, it's not certain and it will be inferior to the one we have now, but we will be able to make trade deals with other countries to offset this.

27 other nations currently do.
Yeah, but give the people the vote and some of those countries will leave

Be optimistic Gazza, it's a big wide world out there with loads of opportunities

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You are being obtuse.We only need a few trade DEALS to keep a relatively free flow with the 5 EU countries we actually trade with,not a Trade Agreement with the whole EU.For example.a Power-Train agreement with Germany would keep the flow of JIT motor parts moving.Why would we need a deal with Malta or the Czech Republic?Then EU countries who need a deal,like the Irish Republic just have to ask politel and we might let their trucks through our ports.

:ffsparr:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Yes, but 'they' are 27 countries not one.

Anyway, I have always said that the EU wants this whole thing to fail as there are too many political careers at stake.

Making an example of the UK, it sends out a message. Even if there is a small cost.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

imbalance.png

Perhaps you can tell us how trade has really improved with the Czech Republic,as you are the Resident?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
does anybody really think that an independent Britain can't cut it in the world and will turn overnight into a banana republic when non EU countries Switzerland, Norway and Iceland are thriving and have some of the highest living standards on the planet.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here