Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’ll leave him to explain himself.

As for “benefits”, other nations have these. For example a Dane can rock up to the Danish embassy, apply, and collect their passport a few weeks later without having to submit their current passport ie they are free to travel. And also, people are out of the U.K. for many different reasons, some through choice, some not. It’s not a benefit, it’s more about modernity.

Only a few days if you live here though.....very modern system for people living here.
Your choice to live abroad, you will have to wait for a new passport......ballache i know........

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I need to have been registered here for 8 years, I’ve only got just over 5 on the clock at the moment. I also need to get my German up to a certain level as well. I’m moving in the right direction on both counts.

Can you be a dual national at the end of the process or are the Germans still strict about renouncing your original nationality if you take theirs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you be a dual national at the end of the process or are the Germans still strict about renouncing your original nationality if you take theirs?

With the U.K. currently you can have dual. But other countries, like the US, you can’t. If I had to make a choice I’d take the passport which best suits my situation.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If that's your argument for staying in the EU then it's very weak. It reminds me of the pathetic argument many in favour of joining the Euro used - "but it will mean we don't have to change our money when we go on holiday" :facepalm:

Yeah, if you read the post properly I didn't offer it up as my "argument for staying in the EU" I offered it as an example of little hassles that will add up in people's everyday lives.

Anyway, my point was that due to various circumstances she couldn't get it renewed. We knew exactly when it was due to expire and had no holidays planned until it could be renewed. Nothing to do with lack of organisation. Now, all that aside, she was offered a last minute trip to an EU member country. As a citizen of the EU she was able to go. Next year that will be impossible.

It really isn't that hard a concept to grasp. For most.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Theresa May -

YOU'RE THE ONE THAT HAS BEEN DELAYING PUBLISHING THE ****ING THING.

I ask you.

and the White paper still wont contain anything on immigration apparently. One year late and counting. They're leaving it until October to have the option of future preferential arrangements for EU citizens as per the negotiations.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Being reported that May has told the head bangers to accept her negotiating position or she will call another referendum . Shame she won’t call an election but let’s see how Moggs boys react ???
Has she malfunctioned ? Obviously needs a software upgrade.

Where did she get a spine ?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Being reported that May has told the head bangers to accept her negotiating position or she will call another referendum . Shame she won’t call an election but let’s see how Moggs boys react ???

No idea if this is true but if it is the Moggboys will fall into line. As Boris reminded us this week the survival instincts of the modern conservative traditionally outweighs its principles. They just want to get us through the door - any esoteric stuff such as tearing up our treaty obligations and impoverishing half the country (the other half) can wait until after the great day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so does that mean Brexit will actually happen?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Hard for the head bangers to ditch her before October now

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Easier said than done if you travel a lot, especially with the anachronisistic UK Passport Office.

It’s very different if you are abroad. And compared to other nations, who can just rock up at their embassy, it is anachronistic.

This is great to know. Can you explain, or show me, how I can get a passport renewal in 5 hours whilst living abroad then? This is pretty quick and only one hour more than the Uber-Premium Service they offer at the Passport Office in London. The wife needs hers renewing soon. When I took advice, and scoured the passport website, I was advised it would take me up to 4 weeks. I’m genuinely interested.

But I can, [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] has said it can only take 5 hours.

Maybe. But he knows my situation, and he stated I was making things up. That’s a pretty strong statement which I feel he should now explain.

You started this discussion with a ridiculous sweeping statement of 'anachronisistic UK Passport Office' and then continued to repeat it despite others having experiences otherwise. Why should I be surprised though ? Your default position is always the UK is shit. To be frank it's tedious that you hold that stance when you know full well some things the UK does badly but other things it does very well. In this case the UK Passport here in the UK and certainly at the Paris Embassy is anything but 'anachronisistic'. So in that respect, you did indeed make it up as you labelled the whole service anachronisistic. In particular the UK based renewal process is amazing ( you do need to have a photo registered for bio-metric purposes for it to work at it's most efficient ). I could indeed have had five new passports in 5 hours in Paris. So maybe it's a problem with the Germany based UK Embassy. I suggest you make a complaint to them. You could of course come back to Blighty to apply but than you'd have to admit that the Passport Office isn't as bad as you've claimed.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Of course - Brexit means Brexit.

When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master – – that’s all.”

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The penny drops...……………No doubt our own Brexit cheerleaders will continue unabashed,

Ipsos MORI has published its June 2018 Political Monitor (pdf) today, with a stack of interesting polling, particularly on satisfaction with party leaders.
But there is also some Brexit polling, and these figures are striking. They suggest that confidence that Theresa May will get a good deal is at its lowest since article 50 was triggered. Those not confident that May will get a good deal outnumber those who are confident about it by more than two to one

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What a glorious week ...

combined with wall to wall beautiful British sunshine ... plus Germany (see 'sick man of Europe') exiting the WC, England securing a tactically astute result v Belguim while the #teameu #guardianistas #teamcorporateelites usual suspects gather on here for their daily therapy session high fiving each other :lolol:

PastelCloudyGelding-size_restricted.gif

Tick tock ..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Obviously it doesn't take much but that Danny Dyer outburst must have the Brexiteers really confused. One of their heroes speaks out against Brexit!! Church bells ringing across Brexit land today hahaha!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here