Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes, they are. The same people who took him seriously stil ltake him seriously. The same people that laughed at him still laugh at him. He is the same risible individual he always was.

Suggest you do some research ' across the pond '
Business confidence is sky high and the general feeling amongst that sector is that his stock is rising all the time. They feel that they can relate to him more than a career politician and that he is working to protect their interests.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I wonder if Unite will make a statement saying how outraged they are at the loss of British jobs, similar to their statement of outrage when De La Rue shifted some production of British passports to Malta resulting in job losses here.

If there are job losses, the Union will complain, it is kind of their job to stick up for their members. But as Malta is an EU member state, operating under similar employment standards etc. you have to reckon that it is fair competition that caused some jobs to go there, wait till British workers are up against child labour, slave labour and disregard for health and safety of workers.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The answer is, it's got nothing to do with EU regulations.

And yet the Home Office Passport Design and Production Contract lists straight away this contract will be awarded in accordance with Directive 2014/24/EU , which is the EU directive on public procurement

http://www.government-online.net/home-office-passport-design-and-production-contract/

How many jobs were lost at De La Rue in Basingstoke when that happened out of interest?

No idea, ask Unite they were the ones complaining, they tend to waffle a lot so could be zero.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And yet the Home Office Passport Design and Production Contract lists straight away this contract will be awarded in accordance with Directive 2014/24/EU , which is the EU directive on public procurement

http://www.government-online.net/home-office-passport-design-and-production-contract/

No idea, ask Unite they were the ones complaining, they tend to waffle a lot so could be zero.

I knew you wouldn't have a clue on the job losses.

Why is The Chief Executive of De La Rue complaining that they're not allowed to bid for the French passport contract though?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
For those of you arguing about procurement law, this guy ought to clear up a few facts for you. He does, after all, know what he's talking about.

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/976736605569470465

[TWEET]976736605569470465[/TWEET]

I think that answers my French passports question which the Brexiteers couldn't answer, but just blamed The EU.

I assume The French Government do their passports in-house, which The Home Office could do as well if it functioned properly, therefore they don't put them out to tender to be done by the best bidders, foreign or otherwise.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I knew you wouldn't have a clue on the job losses.

Why is The Chief Executive of De La Rue complaining that they're not allowed to bid for the French passport contract though?

Never said i did know what the number of job losses were, but if it was unite moaning perhaps it was zero.....how many were there if any?
Why dont you ask the Chief executive of De La Rue why he is moaning,perhaps they were not even allowed to bid, did it go out to tender and therefore be open to EU regulations or do the French have a gov dept that makes passports in house, therefore no public tender. Your guess is as good as mine.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Never said i did know what the number of job losses were, but if it was unite moaning perhaps it was zero.....how many were there if any?
Why dont you ask the Chief executive of De La Rue why he is moaning,perhaps they were not even allowed to bid, did it go out to tender and therefore be open to EU regulations or do the French have a gov dept that makes passports in house, therefore no public tender. Your guess is as good as mine.

The question on French passports has already been answered a couple of posts up - The French do things in-house, The Home Office can't do anything by itself.

Sam old story yet again - The Home Office is useless.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The question on French passports has already been answered a couple of posts up - The French do things in-house, The Home Office can't do anything by itself.

I see, so the tender was subject to EU directive regulations about procurement after all

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gosh you do seem to be excited about this. Looks to me like the Home office just got it done by their MEAT standards. Hardly something to get in a lather about.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see, so the tender was subject to EU directive regulations about procurement after all

Yes, the tender was, The French actually having a fully functioning Ministere de l'Interieur and not having to put things out to tender, unlike the omnishambles of our Home Office as always is not. We've established that now.

This whole blue passports thing and it's tender will pale into insignificance once the humiliation of Settled Status hits home at The Home Office - it's no wonder Amber Rudd has developed bags under eyes and is starting to look like a street drinker now - she knows what's coming in the post - and it isn't a Settled Status card anytime soon.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Gosh you do seem to be excited about this. Looks to me like the Home office just got it done by their MEAT standards. Hardly something to get in a lather about.

How many nurses left The NHS last year again? Can you remember today?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee’s back............

:lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Indeed, a good deal for the taxpayer. If the Home office had tried to do this 'in-house' (whatever that means) no doubt the Remoaners would be wailing about the added cost and Little Englander insular, protectionism.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Indeed, a good deal for the taxpayer. If the Home office had tried to do this 'in-house' (whatever that means) no doubt the Remoaners would be wailing about the added cost and Little Englander insular, protectionism.

Excellent news.Taxpayers saved £120 million pounds compared to the other bids and 70 new jobs at Gemalto Fareham.Marvellous scenes,as the losers would say!Hope the eurodingbats stay awake long enough to sign off the transition deal,then Independence Day beckons.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

What added cost would there be if The Home Office administered and processed passport applications themselves as the Ministere de l'Interieur do in France? How much does it cost in France in comparison to this deal then if this is a good one for the British tax payer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here