[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You are against present levels of immigration which is a legitimate view to have but the specific question you ask is no different to asking "How will our hospitals and schools in the South East cater for the growing numbers of people moving from the north of England?" Infrastructure develops to the meet the needs, as others have explained, but at the same time the best long term way to discourage people moving from Bolton to Brighton is to make Bolton better. That's the principle behind running the country (or it should be) and it is also the principle behind the EU.

You will, I expect, says there's a big difference between people moving from Bolton and people moving from Bratislava. The difference is that the latter are foreigners, and I guess that is why you are complaining about them. Fair enough.

Of course it's completely different. People moving from one part of the UK to the other doesn't increase overall demand just regional variation. External net mass immigration is 100% new demand on school places, NHS and housing plus other services.

There is also the not insignificant matter of scale. For internal movement within the UK regions see the entire population of the EU having the freedom to live and work here.

Please explain how infrastructure can develop to meet the needs if we have no idea what the need is because we cannot control EU immigration rates to the UK. The evidence shows how our infrastructure is struggling to cope, no amount of wishing it away will change this.

Not sure the people of Greece believe making their country better is a guiding principle of the EU. If all past and new EU accession countries had to reach a required level of economic prosperity that matched UK,France and Germany then perhaps their citizens wouldn't need to come in such great numbers. But the large wage disparities mean the more prosperous nations are hoovering up large numbers of skilled and younger people, Poland's population is actually falling. Not sure how this is helping make Poland better but will make it more dependant on EU handouts.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
When the vote goes remain i hope all the remainers come back on here in 15 years and post how sorry they are that this country is ruined

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
If people think remain is the status quo, it is not. The status quo is 1000 years of British independence. The EU is a new experiment.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
See post #4416 and #4417 or just ignore them its easier than confronting the reality.
Or just ignore the billions of pounds of unpaid tax that could be used on building new houses, schools ect..

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Or just ignore the billions of pounds of unpaid tax that could be used on building new houses, schools ect..

It will only get worse,what with Brussels and the EU controlling things......it will be trillions in years to come

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It will only get worse,what with Brussels and the EU controlling things......it will be trillions in years to come
I'm pretty sure I'll be voting out now anyway, just saying it won't solve all of our problems, the country's still f***ed whatever

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Completely agree we should do more recouping unpaid tax but that wouldn't address the problem as we don't know what the demand for school places or housing or NHS services will be if we can't control rates of immigration to this country.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm pretty sure I'll be voting out now anyway, just saying it won't solve all of our problems, the country's still f***ed whatever

It may appear that way,but everything that has a beginning has an end,even the hard times never last...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Of course it's completely different. People moving from one part of the UK to the other doesn't increase overall demand just regional variation. External net mass immigration is 100% new demand on school places, NHS and housing plus other services.

There is also the not insignificant matter of scale. For internal movement within the UK regions see the entire population of the EU having the freedom to live and work here.

Please explain how infrastructure can develop to meet the needs if we have no idea what the need is because we cannot control EU immigration rates to the UK. The evidence shows how our infrastructure is struggling to cope, no amount of wishing it away will change this.

Not sure the people of Greece believe making their country better is a guiding principle of the EU. If all past and new EU accession countries had to reach a required level of economic prosperity that matched UK,France and Germany then perhaps their citizens wouldn't need to come in such great numbers. But the large wage disparities mean the more prosperous nations are hoovering up large numbers of skilled and younger people, Poland's population is actually falling. Not sure how this is helping make Poland better but will make it more dependant on EU handouts.

Of course it's not completely different.

The number of people arriving in, say, the south of England cannot be forecast exactly, irrespective of where they come from. In both cases infrastructure develops to cater for need. The way such development is funded was not the question posed in this case, perhaps because the issue of the economics of immigration has been discussed on this thread ad infinitum. I think I know that you do not accept that immigration is at worst self-funding but that was not the question on the table.

PS If you were to say that the infrastructure of part of England are below standard I would agree with you. But that's another different question, and nothing to do with immigration.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Very good post.

That is why, I believe, Scotland and Wales are so in favour of remaining. How much immigration do they have? It's all good for them as they reap the benefits of large EU grants, funded indirectly by...us!

It has been mentioned elsewhere that the number of immigrants in a particular area does not universally lead to an increase in anti-immigration Brexitism. If anything, the opposite tends to be true.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Of course it's not completely different.

The number of people arriving in, say, the south of England cannot be forecast exactly, irrespective of where they come from. In both cases infrastructure develops to cater for need. The way such development is funded was not the question posed in this case, perhaps because the issue of the economics of immigration has been discussed on this thread ad infinitum. I think I know that you do not accept that immigration is at worst self-funding but that was not the question on the table.

PS If you were to say that the infrastructure of part of England are below standard I would agree with you. But that's another different question, and nothing to do with immigration.

The Question on the table was "Any inner out there prepared to tell me exactly how our hospitals schools etc are to cope with the growing numbers of migrants/immigrants coming to this country each year?"

You interpreted it to suit your own argument but most people would think finding the money for new schools/hospitals and finding and paying for the staff is a necessary part of 'coping' with largescale immigration. As they would the scale and speed of immigration.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The Question on the table was "Any inner out there prepared to tell me exactly how our hospitals schools etc are to cope with the growing numbers of migrants/immigrants coming to this country each year?"

You interpreted it to suit your own argument but most people would think finding the money for new schools/hospitals and finding and paying for the staff is a necessary part of 'coping' with largescale immigration. As they would the scale and speed of immigration.

I mentioned that the issue of the economics of immigration has been discussed ad infinitum, as it has been. I responded to the question raised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports