Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have worked for in the NHS for the last 23 years and have felt very honoured to do so but the last 5 years have been the hardest and most draining I have known. From a personal point of view my salary has remained the same for the last 9 years whilst the work load however has risen exponentially.
So, apart from the last eighteen months, all those things were happening whilst we were in the wonderful magic solution to all problems that is the EU, then. Maybe, just maybe, you should consider the idea that changing that might be for the good. You won't, of course (and I predict that being an ex NHS employee myself).

Brexit will potentially be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
No it won't. The fact that vastly greater numbers are living into their nineties might be; plus the huge increase in the price (and variety) of medicines since 1948); plus the NHS's success in keeping far more people alive than ever before - fulsome praise to the NHS for that but it does cause some financial problems..

The whole pack of lies trotted out about Brexit allowing £350 m a week to be given back to the NHS was at the time obviously nonsense to anyone working in the NHS.
Yes, we all knew it was nonsense. Nothing compared to Project Fear, but nonsense nonetheless. People working in - and out of - the NHS knew this. And some of us (actually rather a lot of millions of us) voted leave. Don't kid yourself - not everyone working for the NHS wanted to stay in.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just because I am knocking about with a girl who's in Momentum, I'm afraid I'm far too much of a cold-hearted ******d to be in love, so we'll nip that vicious rumour in the bud right now.
:

Ah,now its clear, i knew there must be someone behind the scenes manipulating you to have your outdated class warrior posh boy brexit agenda, i knew you wouldnt be able to come up with this yourself considering only a few months ago you had never voted labour.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond to it all though at 0621 in the morning - you really shouldn't have. :rolleyes:
:

You are welcome, my day can unfortunately start at weird hours, its not something i find odd given the circumstances but ill put you down in the clamp camp as someone who feels the need to reference the time of the postings on this thread with a bizarre infatuation that if you post at out of hours times your writings have a different value.........you are an odd bunch to focus on this.......

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Reality is the referendum was not legally binding but advisory. Article 50 can be stopped at any time according to the author of it in the Lisbon treaty.

No doubt in years from now if there was a new similar Referendum Act and a new referendum to rejoin The EU, if a rejoin vote wins you will be the first in the queue to point out it is not legally binding and only advisory, so we don’t have to rejoin at all and parliament can just ignore the democratic advice.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And Turkey was never going to happen because Turkey itself lost interest in joining the EU. It's been on the candidate's list for 30 years but made little attempt to meet the conditions. And now, Erdogan has moved even further away from EU membership. It could happen, but there'd need to be a seismic change in Turkey's policies. And if that were to happen, Turkey is at least 20 years away from becoming a member. And that's even before we look at the thorny issue of North Cyprus and the Greek veto.

Anyone who voted leave because they thought Turkey was about to join the EU is, quite frankly, an idiot.

I dont remember anyone saying Turkey joining was imminent or just about to happen, i do remember people saying Turkey could join in the future, which you have just acknowledged by saying they could be members in 20 years time.Rather confirms my thinking that those saying Turkey would never ever join the EU were talking out of their arse

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I see that the Blue Passport is to make a return the first and only thing to date Brexiteers can tick as accomplished on their 1950s wish list.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see that the Blue Passport is to make a return the first and only thing to date Brexiteers can tick as accomplished on their 1950s wish list.
How come Croatia's EU passport is blue, and there are no plans to change it ?

You can have blue passports within the EU, so what is the BIG deal here ?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I dont remember anyone saying Turkey joining was imminent or just about to happen, i do remember people saying Turkey could join in the future, which you have just acknowledged by saying they could be members in 20 years time.Rather confirms my thinking that those saying Turkey would never ever join the EU were talking out of their arse

April 2016 Vote leave campaign was saying

New research by Vote Leave reveals that the UK will be obliged to pay nearly £2 billion by 2020 to encourage Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey to join the EU:

Commenting, Gisela Stuart, Vote Leave Chair, said:

'Instead of giving an extra 88 million people - more than our entire population - access to the NHS I believe it would be safer to take back control. We should give our struggling NHS the £350 million we send to the EU every week.'

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Yey, that was worth the billions we're spending right! I'm actually glad for the brexiteers that one of their big goals has been achieved.

Mildly amusing to hear that from 2019, the shiny new passports will be made in.... Germany, so we'll probably have to pay a tariff to buy our own passports

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I simply can't compute people being excited about these passports. Am I the only one who uses my passport at the airport and then keeps it in the hotel safe until I am next at the airport? The way some in the media are discussing this suggests that they walk round countries waving their passport. I wonder how long it will be until a group of yobs at the airport start with chants and waving blue passports around in the air. Make me proud to be British.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No it doesn't. You would love it, no doubt (but would only accept it if you won) but 'must' doesn't enter into it.

Yes for once you are right.
I would love to have the chance to look at the final deal and have the chance to decide on it.
If I think it's a great deal and we have some trade deals on the table with Europe and other major countries I would vote leave.
The problem is people like you who would leave at any cost.
Have you never been in a position where you have had to make a decision based on what you think may happen, gut feeling, only to find out you got it wrong and wish you could have another go, I have, many times.
Have you never heared of the saying 'if only I knew then what I know now'
If the MPs where not making such a Horlicks of it with all the infighting and different points of view then there would be no need to vote again.
But as it stands I think the whole thing is turning out very different to what most people thought, especially hard Brexiteers and people who voted for the £350 million and the cost of leaving.
But if they manage to get a really good deal then many reluctant remainers would vote to leave.
Why would you have a problem with that?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Ah,now its clear, i knew there must be someone behind the scenes manipulating you to have your outdated class warrior posh boy brexit agenda, i knew you wouldnt be able to come up with this yourself considering only a few months ago you had never voted labour.

Wrong I'm afarid - I first voted Labour 20 years ago and all my views are long held and my own.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I simply can't compute people being excited about these passports. Am I the only one who uses my passport at the airport and then keeps it in the hotel safe until I am next at the airport? The way some in the media are discussing this suggests that they walk round countries waving their passport. I wonder how long it will be until a group of yobs at the airport start with chants and waving blue passports around in the air. Make me proud to be British.

It's a classic example of just how pathetic the British can be, a campaign to bring back the old blue passport was one of the first things to happen since the result.
It's these flag waving cretins that voted leave without even thinking about it who still really believe that the British Empire is alive and well.
No wonder we are a laughing stock around the world.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

The Turkey stuff was no so subtle dog-whistle politics - horrific.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's a classic example of just how pathetic the British can be, a campaign to bring back the old blue passport was one of the first things to happen since the result.
It's these flag waving cretins that voted leave without even thinking about it who still really believe that the British Empire is alive and well.
No wonder we are a laughing stock around the world.

It makes us look tinpot, like the Reading FC of Europe. Embarrassing

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I wonder how many Brexiteers will be putting their money where their mouths are and excitedly rushing to get a new, true blue passport once they're introduced to replace their hideous burgundy passports with European Union on them/a passport that has failed us all etc?

I renewed mine earlier this year, so somehow I'll have to try to survive another 9+ years with 'European Union' on it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It makes us look tinpot, like the Reading FC of Europe. Embarrassing

It's tinpot and cringe-worthy. The right wing press are all over it, like it's some sort of victory.

_99324531_thesunfrontpage22.12.17.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here