Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
i think it is you that needs the hug and hand holding as you are scared of all the nasty european beurocrats. Can't stand up to them so you will just take your ball home and run off crying.
yep the ball that has our sovereignty and democracy in it , yep i'm crying all the way out of the EU :cry:
regards
DR

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Interesting stats from Andrew Neil.

Real disposable household income per head fell by 1.1% in Q2 compared with 2016 - 4th quarter in a row in which figure has dropped.

I am trying to think of anything that happened late in Q2 of 2016 that might be relevant here. Sadly I can't because it will be shouted down as project fear/would have happened anyway.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting stats from Andrew Neil.

Real disposable household income per head fell by 1.1% in Q2 compared with 2016 - 4th quarter in a row in which figure has dropped.

I am trying to think of anything that happened late in Q2 of 2016 that might be relevant here. Sadly I can't because it will be shouted down as project fear/would have happened anyway.

Pensioner will be OK though, triple lock working nicely

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So, before 1975, nobody from the UK was allowed to live in mainland Europe? History isn't your strong subject is it?

...and with respect, reading might not be yours.

No one is claiming that people weren't allowed to live in mainland Europe before 1975, any more than they were saying they won't be allowed to go on holiday after 2019.

The issue is whether British people will be able, as of right, to travel, study, live and work across the hugely diverse lands and cities of Europe, or whether they will be restricted to the island of Great Britain and a small bit at the top of Ireland.

For many Britons, especially older ones, this consequence of Brexit might not matter very much. For others, perhaps like my niece, whose university plans have recently been shot out of the water, is a sad and limiting development.

The additional irony is that, far from regarding it as a regrettable price to be paid, Brexiteers regard the redrawing of these wide horizons as another glorious result of Nigel Farage's new dawn.

Jan 30, 2008

No one is claiming that people weren't allowed to live in mainland Europe before 1975, any more than they were saying they won't be allowed to go on holiday after 2019.

The issue is whether British people will be able, as of right, to travel, study, live and work across the hugely diverse lands and cities of Europe, or whether they will be restricted to the island of Great Britain and a small bit at the top of Ireland.

For many Britons, especially older ones, this consequence of Brexit might not matter very much. For others, perhaps like my niece, whose university plans have recently been shot out of the water, is a sad and limiting development.

The additional irony is that, far from regarding it as a regrettable price to be paid, Brexiteers regard the redrawing of these wide horizons as another glorious result of Nigel Farage's new dawn.
you must send yourself to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:facepalm:
regards
DR

D

Deleted member 22389

Why don't you just wait and see what happens, and stop thinking the worst 24/7.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

What a load of absolute hogwash. He was talking about Nigel Lawson's grandkids being able to live in France. Nothing about anything else.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
What a load of absolute hogwash. He was talking about Nigel Lawson's grandkids being able to live in France. Nothing about anything else.

If you read the post again, you'll see that the poster said that living in France won't be as easy for NL's (or anyone's) grandchildren as it has been for us. This is correct. You inflate this into some absurdity about remainers claiming you won't be able to live there at all. It's the old straw man technique. Hogwash indeed.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I know friends and family who have gone to live and work in the U.S., Japan, Aus, to name just a few. Isn't it a little misleading to suggest that leaving the EU will mean people won't be able to do the same in Europe, even after we have left?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you read the post again, you'll see that the poster said that living in France won't be as easy for NL's (or anyone's) grandchildren as it has been for us. This is correct. You inflate this into some absurdity about remainers claiming you won't be able to live there at all. It's the old straw man technique. Hogwash indeed.

I think using the words, "they will be restricted to the island of Great Britain and a small bit at the top of Ireland.", is a little misleading actually.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
A question for those people who would like to remain under the authority of the EU government, why are you so comfortable with us being governed by people we have never elected and cannot unelect, no matter who they are now or in the future or what they do now or in the future? Can you not at least see why others are uncomfortable with that?

Can you not at least see that being uncomfortable with that isn't actually hugely unreasonable?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Why don't you just wait and see what happens, and stop thinking the worst 24/7.

I'm not thinking the worst. I'm simply assuming that Brexit politicians mean it when they say they want to create a situation that will, as a consequence, stop young British people, as of right, travelling, studying, living and working across Europe.

Better that people complain about it now rather than just waiting until it happens. I doubt it'll do any good but struggling against the odds is an old British habit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I think using the words, "they will be restricted to the island of Great Britain and a small bit at the top of Ireland.", is a little misleading actually.

The conversation was about British people having the right to live, work and study across Europe. As far as I know it is correct to say that these rights will, after leaving the EU, be limited to Great Britain and a bit of Ireland. Please tell me why you feel this is misleading.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know friends and family who have gone to live and work in the U.S., Japan, Aus, to name just a few. Isn't it a little misleading to suggest that leaving the EU will mean people won't be able to do the same in Europe, even after we have left?

Indeed, and that it why I for one never said they won't be able to work in Europe.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The conversation was about British people having the right to live, work and study across Europe. As far as I know it is correct to say that these rights will, after leaving the EU, be limited to Great Britain and a bit of Ireland. Please tell me why you feel this is misleading.

Well gramatically it reads that "they" means the British people, not the rights. But maybe it's just bad grammar on the part of the poster.

D

Deleted member 22389

We do elect sections of it. You can only change what you are part of. Why run off when you don't like something? Why not stay and fight and change things to make them better!?

You can stay and fight for another 20 years, free movement would never be on the table for discussion, ever. Don't you remember Cameron was meant to come back with a deal, he got nothing from them in Brussels. The EU doesn't change for anyone. It's why I voted Leave.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We do elect sections of it. You can only change what you are part of. Why run off when you don't like something? Why not stay and fight and change things to make them better!?

We don't elect the EU Commission, the EU Commission is the government, the "Parliament" are consulted. If the EU Parliament were truely in charge that would be marginally better, but even then only marginally, since the majority of the Government would still have the interests of another nation at heart.

I don't want to change the EU, that's up to them. I don't want to tell Germany or France how to live, they should decide for themselves. I want us to be able to change what affects this country, that's what having your own Government is all about. One size fits all for 27 different countries was never going to work anyway.

How many people who want to remain in the EU would want to band together with 27 other people and share their resources and the decisions they make in their lives? Decision making and compromise in a marriage can take some work and that's only 2 people! Imagine being married to 26 people at the same time!

D

Deleted member 22389

Free movement is one of the good things though!

It would be if things where equal to begin with, i.e. everyone's living standards and wages where the same. On the radio last week they where saying Poland is crying out for their people to come back home to work, because they have a Labour shortage. Nobody wants to go back because the wages are so poor compared to this country. There is one down side to free movement straight away, it's why every country should be able to control the numbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here