Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And aside from showing flippancy and a lack of any real and genuine argument [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION]s comment suggests he believes anyone who does a job is "entrenched" when it might just be the case they are a professional doing a professional job......just like the vast majority of us.

His comments are just a view from a guy who is a committed Europhile, he would have been blogging in early June 2016 how if we voted leave the next days would be imminent recession, emergency budget, a market crash, Armageddon, you guys just sit there hoping beyond hope that there is a snippet of bad economic news that you can then high-jack and use as some indicator that your previous discredited forecasts are just a temporary flaw in your politics.

You yourself only recently stated how inflation was an indicator, then it decreased a little and you move on to something else, then your mates highlight a slow down in growth and low and behold today figures show it is now higher than expected and then you move on to something else and then use this no mark as an example, you are just too desperate.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I dont believe any remainers are awaiting 'snippets of bad news' .They keep coming anyway. .Didnt want to be in any bad news scenario in the first place.. Remainers are desperately hoping against hope that there is good news ahead, but frankly, dont see it. Just see lots of probably, maybe, could do, possibly etc etc

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Farage now saying tories have sold out the electorate and Corbyn is offering proper Brexit. He was always anti EU so bizarre how many on here champion Brexit and slate remainers as Corbyn fans when actually he agrees with them. This is all a bit weird.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
These are all good things but here is the big picture:

DFp0CAMW0AAz4Zp.jpg

Quarterly growth halved since last year.

DFp0OpIW0AQNghh.jpg

GDP per capita growth 0.15% in first 6 months of 2017

I thought the bigger picture was the predictions made by the Treasury, OECD, IMF etc about the immediate aftermath of the referendum vote have proved to be wildly innacurate. I also remember someone chastising me for having some sceptisim about their forecasts.

That GDP per capita table is interesting. Despite unprecedented levels of immigration leading to rapid population growth, there is no corresponding boost to economic output or competetiveness which is surprising considering people were telling me what an economic boon mass immgration was.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I dont believe any remainers are awaiting 'snippets of bad news' .They keep coming anyway. .Didnt want to be in any bad news scenario in the first place.. Remainers are desperately hoping against hope that there is good news ahead, but frankly, dont see it. Just see lots of probably, maybe, could do, possibly etc etc

Which bad data keeps coming and what is your indicator of choice for you to interpret whether the UK's economy is either thriving, meadering or crash and burning ?

I find your vague non committal economic indicators quite meaningless, we still have historically low inflation, interest and unemployment rates, markets are high, our economy continues to grow, sterling has fallen, opportunity to export or inflationary pressure on imports, take your pick.

For me it is a general combination of all of them and how it effects people around me, my set of friends, from cabbies to builders, teachers and nurses and our children seem to be doing quite well, happy, all working, seemingly profitable, any debt/mortgae affordable, lifestyle seems quite good and we suspect nothing much to change due to Brexit, we are a mix of Brexit and Remainers, but the Remainers haven't morphed into Remoaners strangely.

So from your bolt hole in Prague what is this bad news that keeps coming, I need to tell my friends and family ??

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Bolt hole? haha.

I watch a variety of news sources. Ive not seen much positivity from any of them particularly. If you believe we are heading to the sunlit upper slopes, good luck to you and your positivity. Wish I had it. Bit weird you say your lifestyle is quite good, yet prepared to risk that. Everything is going swimmingly, I think I will risk that and my childrens future, which presently is quite good, for... who knows.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Which bad data keeps coming and what is your indicator of choice for you to interpret whether the UK's economy is either thriving, meadering or crash and burning ?

I find your vague non committal economic indicators quite meaningless, we still have historically low inflation, interest and unemployment rates, markets are high, our economy continues to grow, sterling has fallen, opportunity to export or inflationary pressure on imports, take your pick.

For me it is a general combination of all of them and how it effects people around me, my set of friends, from cabbies to builders, teachers and nurses and our children seem to be doing quite well, happy, all working, seemingly profitable, any debt/mortgae affordable, lifestyle seems quite good and we suspect nothing much to change due to Brexit, we are a mix of Brexit and Remainers, but the Remainers haven't morphed into Remoaners strangely.

So from your bolt hole in Prague what is this bad news that keeps coming, I need to tell my friends and family ??

Prozac?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So what you're basically saying is you don't look beyond your own little bubble. This explains a lot about your views.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I thought the bigger picture was the predictions made by the Treasury, OECD, IMF etc about the immediate aftermath of the referendum vote have proved to be wildly innacurate. I also remember someone chastising me for having some sceptisim about their forecasts.

That GDP per capita table is interesting. Despite unprecedented levels of immigration leading to rapid population growth, there is no corresponding boost to economic output or competetiveness which is surprising considering people were telling me what an economic boon mass immgration was.

What the stats seem to say is that Brexit is catching up with us.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So what you're basically saying is you don't look beyond your own little bubble. This explains a lot about your views.

No its a bit like the Crime Survey for England and Wales that you couldn't quite grasp either, whilst you whittle on about some economic indicators that you seem not to understand anyway, I think it's worth looking anecdotally at people that actually live here, each having different careers and professions to perhaps let those that no longer reside here the opportunity to find out how life really is lived here in the UK, it seems a better indicator than you cited some unknown Eurocrat that no one has ever heard of and never will again having a moan about Brexit.

You not understanding this and where you live explains a lot about your views too, I was just trying to put some perspective on your rather odd anti UK stance.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No its a bit like the Crime Survey for England and Wales that you couldn't quite grasp either, whilst you whittle on about some economic indicators that you seem not to understand anyway, I think it's worth looking anecdotally at people that actually live here, each having different careers and professions to perhaps let those that no longer reside here the opportunity to find out how life really is lived here in the UK, it seems a better indicator than you cited some unknown Eurocrat that no one has ever heard of and never will again having a moan about Brexit.

You not understanding this and where you live explains a lot about your views too, I was just trying to put some perspective on your rather odd anti UK stance.

So you basically think that you can get an accurate measure of how Britain is doing as Brexit continues by how you and some people you know are getting on.
Just about sums up most Leave voters.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you basically think that you can get an accurate measure of how Britain is doing as Brexit continues by how you and some people you know are getting on.
Just about sums up most Leave voters.

No that isnt what I have said, I have debated the economicf indicators, take a look it has been mentioned many times as was the absolute no mark of some EU beaurocrat who had a moan about Brexit, Steven Bullock, yes you probably dont know who the feck he is.

But whilst all the neer do well Remain economists are citing the a rise in inflation, of course then it decrease again and then growth forecasts are downgraded but then go up again, then employment figures hit historical lows and so it goes on then of course it is reasonable to cite albeit anecdottal evidence from teachers, nurses, builders and cabbies that actually you Remainers talk a load of bollox.

You cant have any credibilty when you try and explain what 'might happen', your done, dust, a laughing stock.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You cant have any credibilty when you try and explain what 'might happen', your done, dust, a laughing stock.

Says the person who bizarrely went some way to trying to convince us with some back-o-fag-packet arithmetic that a house which was once 20k is just as affordable when it's 200k a decade later :lolol:

That was plain odd.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Says the person who bizarrely went some way to trying to convince us with some back-o-fag-packet arithmetic that a house which was once 20k is just as affordable when it's 200k a decade later :lolol:

That was plain odd.

Cor you keep on coming back from more and I keep having to explaing things again and again, but you struggle to grasp the simplest of things, I think the example you are alluding to is I how I said that interest rates effect the overall repayment on a house and therefore its affordability.

If this is an issue you are interested in then troll back and see the precise figures I posted, if you want to then revisit it with me then feel free, but do not post bullshit to try and be clever.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No that isnt what I have said, I have debated the economicf indicators, take a look it has been mentioned many times as was the absolute no mark of some EU beaurocrat who had a moan about Brexit, Steven Bullock, yes you probably dont know who the feck he is.

But whilst all the neer do well Remain economists are citing the a rise in inflation, of course then it decrease again and then growth forecasts are downgraded but then go up again, then employment figures hit historical lows and so it goes on then of course it is reasonable to cite albeit anecdottal evidence from teachers, nurses, builders and cabbies that actually you Remainers talk a load of bollox.

You're deluded. See how the cabbies, nurses and everyday folk you seem to mingle with so much get on if we leave. If it's not the funding that stops it'll be the Tories left with free reign to descimate pensions, funding and pay.

We certainly can have credibility trying to figure out what might happen. It's better than the Leave attitude of "yeah yeah, it'll be fine look, Mulberry's have opened up a new convenience store in Portslade. Business is booming".

And to attempt to convince us that nurses and teachers are "doing fine" is frankly the words of a madman.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What the stats seem to say is that Brexit is catching up with us.

Catching up as in a 0.3% ish drop in GDP growth compared to predictions made by 'experts' pre referendum (1.7% compared to 2%). The very same experts whose doomsday forecasts would mean we should lose 5% GDP growth in the next twelve months ... to prove in any way accurate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cor you keep on coming back from more and I keep having to explaing things again and again, but you struggle to grasp the simplest of things, I think the example you are alluding to is I how I said that interest rates effect the overall repayment on a house and therefore its affordability.

If this is an issue you are interested in then troll back and see the precise figures I posted, if you want to then revisit it with me then feel free, but do not post bullshit to try and be clever.

It wasn't "bullshit"...you did try and convince us. You really did. Just as you have tried to convince us your view based on your own little bubble has, and I quote, "worth". You then tried to deny it just two posts later. Your arguments are all over the place and this is why no one can grasp anything you're trying to say. And then when you're all tied up in knots your posts take on a more aggressive tone and the personal abuse starts to creep in. Think I'll leave you to it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It wasn't bullshit...you did try and convince us. You really did. Just as you have tried to convince us your view based on your own little bubble has, and I quote, "worth". You then tried to deny it just two posts later. Your arguments are all over the place and this is why no one can grasp anything you're trying to say.

Try and argue/defend your own position instead of trying to speak for the collective. It's very apparent trying to persuade people who have very little if any faith in this country and who always knew Brexit would fail.. is a pointless exercise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The very same experts whose doomsday forecasts would mean we should lose 5% GDP growth in the next twelve months ... to prove in any way accurate.

"Britain’s economic growth has more than halved to its lowest rate since the EU referendum."

GDP growth is over 50% lower? Was .6 now it's .3? What are you trying to say?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here