Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You didn't mention India. I wonder why. Lots of forecasts that it will be the 3rd largest economy within the next 15 years, very strong historical ties with the UK, stable democracy. You only went for very small countries but then you didn't mention Singapore either. Very strange. It's as if you are cherry-picking countries to fit in with your incessant piss-taking in lieu of a proper debate. It would be exactly like a South American arguing that there's no point doing trade with the EU because they contain Cyprus, Malta and Latvia.

More than happy with a proper debate as opposed to certain leavers throwing in comments that are just not true.

Happy to be proved wrong with India Canada and others but dont expect any deals being in place anytime soon.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
And I have posted this link previously but feel it's worth repeating. It shows why Africa gets such a raw deal from trade with the EU at the moment and why a post-Brexit trade deal with the UK could be mutually beneficial to the UK and also to African nations locked into the trap of aid tied to onerous trade deals with no chance of proper development.

https://capx.co/how-the-eu-starves-africa-into-submission/

No excuses for Davis, May and Johnson not to come back with good deals so the UK is in a better position then it started then. I look forward to a period of great economic prosperity.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
More than happy with a proper debate.

Hmm. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. :)

Happy to be proved wrong with India Canada and others but dont expect any deals being in place anytime soon.

I don't expect trade deals quickly either with those countries but there's surely no doubt that the deals will be done and that it will offer all sorts of opportunities and advantages.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hmm. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. :)

I don't expect trade deals quickly either with those countries but there's surely no doubt that the deals will be done and that it will offer all sorts of opportunities and advantages.

"No doubt you also believe in fairies and that the moon is made out of cheese, which are both as likely as the UK being better off anytime soon, but dream on"......ha, you know he knows best.......9 months and still waiting, and whining.......on and on and on etc.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No excuses for Davis, May and Johnson not to come back with good deals so the UK is in a better position then it started then. I look forward to a period of great economic prosperity.

You know what, I'd be happy with the UK being no better off than we are now with African nations if it meant that the African nations became more self-sufficient and the deals were more equitable without having to link sales to aid/loans.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
"No doubt you also believe in fairies and that the moon is made out of cheese, which are both as likely as the UK being better off anytime soon, but dream on"......ha, you know he knows best.......9 months and still waiting, and whining.......on and on and on etc.

Repeat

You have probably mentioned this as often as your good moaning whine

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'm sure you are allowed. All you need is evidence.All I've seen is a suggestion that Belize is a bit smaller than Belgium, market wise.
Too be honest I didn't read your post and if that's what you posted I have no problem with it.
My reason for my post is us leavers get branded racist on a regular basis not necessarily on NSC but in general.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I know I've raised this before (and been castigated by the Brexiteers), but can anyone explain to me how we are going to fly to any EU country after we quit? I ask the question (a) because I'm in the aviation industry, and (b) because it's pretty fundamental to our future. No one I have come across to date (lawyers, consultants, staff at DfT, airline industry experts) have been able to explain how we get aviation access to the EU post Brexit. The obvious answer is that we do a deal, but the rest of the EU can ask for HUGE concessions elsewhere, as they know we will need to be able to fly to EU countries. This is what (in my view) is so crazy about this whole Brexit thing - we immediately provide just about every bargaining chip to the other side. And, if Mrs May comes back to Parliament in two years' time with a deal that's rejected, then we are out - with no rights to fly to EU countries. I realise this is a relatively minor issue for Brexiteers, who will be happy to just "get back control". However, for the rest of us it's quite a serious matter!

I was trying to think of some footballing consequences, to perhaps give the issue some relevance on NSC. My guess is that British teams would no longer be able to partake in the Champions League, given that it would be almost impossible to travel to away games (train/coach transport would just take too long). Or perhaps the likes of Chelsea, Man City, etc would have two teams - one permanently stationed somewhere in the EU....

I know these practical issues are subjects that Brexiteers don't want to think about, but some time soon we will all have to start facing up to a very different way of life. Let's hope global warming arrives soon, and we can happily exchange the Costa del Sol for the glories of Scarborough and Bridlington. Or maybe we all go on holiday to India (which I see is a favoured trading partner on here).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Quite. Things may well get tougher in the short-term but I was aware of this when I voted Brexit. I regard it as a fair price to pay for regaining sovereignty of law, divorcing ourselves fully from the EU federal project and full insulation from the next Euro crisis. I do believe however that over the long run we'll be better off economically.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You know what, I'd be happy with the UK being no better off than we are now with African nations if it meant that the African nations became more self-sufficient and the deals were more equitable without having to link sales to aid/loans.

You mean a crippled NHS and social services and ever increasing disparity between the have and have nots. I thought Brexit was meant to save the NHS and dispense of cheap labour. Surely the status quo would mean Brexit has been a massive failure.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Quite. Things may well get tougher in the short-term but I was aware of this when I voted Brexit. I regard it as a fair price to pay for regaining sovereignty of law, divorcing ourselves fully from the EU federal project and full insulation from the next Euro crisis. I do believe however that over the long run we'll be better off economically.

In 42 years as one of your fellow leavers suggested the other day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here